British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   BA not flying dogs (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/ba-not-flying-dogs-930082/)

Uktous19 Dec 31st 2019 4:15 pm

BA not flying dogs

We are planning our move to Chicago: due to be end of February and including a labrador and a cat. All was progressing and we were about to book flights but were told on 23rd December that BA have stopped flying dogs into chicago :(.
Panic has ensued and we are trying to find another carrier but keep getting conflicting info.

Does anyone know why BA has suddenly changed their policy? Or if it's likely to reverse? Any light that can be shed would be really helpful.

Nutmegger Dec 31st 2019 4:27 pm

Re: BA not flying dogs

From the link below: Have you banned the carriage of dogs?
We take the responsibility of transporting and caring for animals travelling on our network extremely seriously. We are currently investigating a recent non-compliance incident where an incorrect container was used in the carriage of a dog. Whilst 0.07% of our canine bookings incur a container non-compliance, we expect every shipment to meet the high animal welfare standards we set. During this investigation we will not accept any new bookings for canine movements. Once the investigation is complete, we will revisit this decision and will update our customers directly. This does not affect current bookings and we will continue to accept other animal bookings.

BA Policy on Dogs

Uktous19 Dec 31st 2019 4:33 pm

Thank you very much for that. And b*gger as no idea how long it will take for them to investigate.

Does anyone have recent experience of flying a medium/large size dog into chicago NOT with BA?

Winston_the_Great_Dane Dec 31st 2019 5:09 pm

If it helps, I flew a Great Dane on Virgin into Dulles, using Pet Air UK 12 months ago.

Virgin were excellent and (I think) they fly to Chicago.

Good luck

robtuck Dec 31st 2019 5:14 pm

Virgin were excellent for our cat to Atlanta as well, and they fly Chicago direct.

Uktous19 Dec 31st 2019 5:18 pm

Thank you. It's Pet Air I've been talking to and they have said Virgin isnt an option - which I don't really understand as thought Chicago was a huge hub. I will investigate more after new year's day - I can't believe that there won't be any dogs arriving from the UK to US :unsure:

Bob Dec 31st 2019 5:26 pm

One other consideration, being a cold spot. A lot of carriers won't fly cat/dogs during the winter months.

Jerseygirl Dec 31st 2019 5:36 pm

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 12783879)
One other consideration, being a cold spot. A lot of carriers won't fly cat/dogs during the winter months.

I was just going to say the same. Airports that experience extreme hot and cold temps will not fly pets into or out of during those months. This is because in the past, pets have died when the plane has been stuck on the runway/gate for long periods of time due to delays.

scrubbedexpat091 Dec 31st 2019 5:53 pm

Originally Posted by Uktous19 (Post 12783873)
Thank you. It's Pet Air I've been talking to and they have said Virgin isnt an option - which I don't really understand as thought Chicago was a huge hub. I will investigate more after new year's day - I can't believe that there won't be any dogs arriving from the UK to US :unsure:

It's a hub for United and American primarily.

So if your looking for a non-stop from London they would be your best bets if they accept live animals from London area airports.

Winter and summer months can have restrictions due to temp that vary by airline.

scrubbedexpat091 Dec 31st 2019 5:56 pm

Varies by airline a bit but in general temps need to be in the 45F-85F range is typical range where animals can be safely transported, each airline though has their own policies.

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 12783884)
I was just going to say the same. Airports that experience extreme hot and cold temps will not fly pets into or out of during those months. This is because in the past, pets have died when the plane has been stuck on the runway/gate for long periods of time due to delays.

steph0scope Dec 31st 2019 6:20 pm

Originally Posted by Winston_the_Great_Dane (Post 12783866)

Virgin were excellent and (I think) they fly to Chicago.

Not anymore... but United and American do.

Uktous19 Dec 31st 2019 6:39 pm

Thanks everyone. Fingers crossed for a quick enquiry but the cynic in me thinks it will take ages. ARGH.

Nutmegger Dec 31st 2019 8:51 pm

Originally Posted by Uktous19 (Post 12783910)
Thanks everyone. Fingers crossed for a quick enquiry but the cynic in me thinks it will take ages. ARGH.

Look at it this way: hopefully the review will ensure that when they do travel, your pets will arrive safely.

scottyvisa Jan 2nd 2020 2:00 pm

We flew our Labrador with Delta, it was into Minneapolis-St Paul, but that might be too cold this time of the year for Delta's restrictions. Could you consider flying somewhere warmer such as Atlanta, and then do the 12 hour drive? Not ideal but straight forward enough.

TheKingOfHearts Jan 2nd 2020 10:46 pm

As has been mentioned above, American & United are going to be your best bet. Norwegian and BA also fly direct into ORD from London (LGW and LHR respectively) but neither will allow dogs on these flights at the minute.

Suggest since you're already flying BA you look to have BA change your ticket to be routed on AA metal, it'll save you cancellation fee's.

As others have mentioned it gets VERY cold here in the winter, and I have heard it to be quite common to not be receiving animals during this time.

Uktous19 Jan 3rd 2020 12:34 pm

Apparently the person who made the decision about not flying dogs is back from holiday on Monday so things may, hopefully, move then. :fingerscrossed::fingerscrossed::fingerscrossed:
Thank you everyone for your help and input, much appreciated