Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

BA Flight Refused Permission to Land in New York

BA Flight Refused Permission to Land in New York

Old Jan 13th 2005, 1:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

tony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: BA Flight Refused Permission to Land in New York

Originally Posted by Manc
Well why? I mean given the choice, either we land in London or in Long Island Sound, what would you choose?

sign of the times really. However I am surprised no attempts were made to try and land in say Montreal.
It was reported on our evening news that the US gave BA the option of landing in Bangor, Maine. No wonder they turned back.
Old Jan 13th 2005, 2:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

USBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tony126
It was reported on our evening news that the US gave BA the option of landing in Bangor, Maine. No wonder they turned back.
wow you guys REALLY do ignore most things people say don't ya... I pointed at the YAHOO story which details the choices given including the bangor maine option but it would seem NO ONE read it...

nice...

kudos to ya'll
Old Jan 13th 2005, 2:17 pm
Maño-Americano

ironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
Funny, you would think that if the person was actually dangerous, you would want to let the plane land and arrest him immediately, rather then a) oblige a plane load of people to spend another 6 hours shut up with him at 35,000 feet when who knows what he might have in the soles of his shoes and b) send him back to England where he has not been arrested. If he were really dangerous, of course.
Well said.
Old Jan 13th 2005, 2:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

tony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by USBound
wow you guys REALLY do ignore most things people say don't ya... I pointed at the YAHOO story which details the choices given including the bangor maine option but it would seem NO ONE read it...

nice...

kudos to ya'll
My apologies. I thought I was upto date on the messages. At my age it's called 'old timers'.
Old Jan 13th 2005, 3:46 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

sign of the times really. However I am surprised no attempts were made to try and land in say Montreal.
Or Bangor, that's where they seem to be dumping the dodgy flights at the mo...
Old Jan 13th 2005, 3:47 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tony126
Not that bad an airport, okay there's nothing to do there, the parking sucks arse, and there's hardly any bogs...but least the run way is long enough unlike the Portland jetport *lol*
Old Jan 13th 2005, 5:20 pm
Franklin

Originally Posted by Bob
Not that bad an airport, okay there's nothing to do there, the parking sucks arse, and there's hardly any bogs...but least the run way is long enough unlike the Portland jetport *lol*
Wasn't Stephen King's "The Langoliers" movie made at Bangor airport? Was a long movie, great scene when the Langoliers arrived and munched up the runway!

Old Jan 13th 2005, 5:58 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by Patent Attorney
Wasn't Stephen King's "The Langoliers" movie made at Bangor airport? Was a long movie, great scene when the Langoliers arrived and munched up the runway!
wouldn't have a clue, haven't seen it...been a while since I've read any of Kings stuff...
Old Jan 13th 2005, 5:59 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

I do believe it was yes
Old Jan 13th 2005, 6:27 pm
Franklin

Originally Posted by Bob
wouldn't have a clue, haven't seen it...been a while since I've read any of Kings stuff...

What! You didn't like "The Green Mile"? Shame on you Bob!

Old Jan 13th 2005, 6:34 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

What! You didn't like "The Green Mile"? Shame on you Bob!
hehe...yeah, that wasn't a bad movie....liked shawshank and stand by me more though
Old Jan 13th 2005, 6:34 pm
Franklin

I do believe it was yes
Didn’t King play a great cameo role out on the tarmac of the airport! A surreal corporate meeting around the typical elongated table. If memory serves me right King was the either the dad of the guy who went nuts and/or the chairman of the company that employed the loony tune. A darling film, but the airport was a bit austere looking, not at all like your newbie Detroit terminal.

Old Jan 13th 2005, 7:11 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Kings gaff, bloomin' huge, got great creepy front gates of bats and other metal creepy things
Old Jan 13th 2005, 8:00 pm
Franklin

Originally Posted by Bob
Kings gaff, bloomin' huge, got great creepy front gates of bats and other metal creepy things
I remember seeing pictures of his house in a documentary on the great dude (around the time King was seriously injured by a van or car hitting him while out walking). The ornamental metal work around the perimeter of his dwelling sure looked creepy. :scared: But then again the man has made a LOT of money out of creepy story lines, but some were less creepy like The Green Mile, a very moving story.

Last edited by Patent Attorney; Jan 13th 2005 at 9:29 pm.