British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   BA Flight Refused Permission to Land in New York (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/ba-flight-refused-permission-land-new-york-277129/)

Englishmum Jan 12th 2005 9:35 pm

BA Flight Refused Permission to Land in New York

The US authorities have forced a British Airways jet to return to LHR as they refused it permission to land on American soil...

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...eturned_flight

Glad I wasn't on that flight....what an inconvenience.

Why couldn't they just let the plane land at JFK and refuse entry to the passenger on their 'watch' list once he had arrived at the immigration desk?

Stupid or what?

tony126 Jan 12th 2005 9:37 pm

Re: BA Flight Refused Permission to Land in New York

Originally Posted by Englishmum
The US authorities have forced a British Airways jet to return to LHR as they refused it permission to land on American soil...

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...eturned_flight

Glad I wasn't on that flight....what an inconvenience.

Why couldn't they just let the plane land at JFK and refuse entry to the passenger on their 'watch' list once he had arrived at the immigration desk?

Stupid or what?

I thought this check was done before flights took off from the UK or am I misinformed.

Bob Jan 12th 2005 10:05 pm

overkill that, if the person was a threat, shouldn't he not have made it on the plane fullstop? very stupid.

FlyergirlUK Jan 12th 2005 10:21 pm

Originally Posted by tony126
I thought this check was done before flights took off from the UK or am I misinformed.

Taken from the aforementioned article:

It is standard procedure for international flights leaving for the United States to send their passenger manifests after the plane takes off, but the U.S. government wants to change that practice so the manifests are sent beforehand.

Also,

...it appears the passenger was not initially discovered because the airline did not have the latest version of the no-fly list. The distribution system changed recently and the passenger was added to the list in late December...

:rolleyes:

AdobePinon Jan 12th 2005 10:26 pm

Nice job. So they work out his ID three hours into the journey. They'll soon be wanting passenger lists before take off. Current check in time is what, two, three hours? So soon we'll be asked to check in six hours before the plane leaves. :mad:

Taffyles Jan 12th 2005 10:29 pm

BA did check his name against a no fly list according to reports- and followed usual procedure in sending passenger lists to the US AFTER take-off, where the guy showed up as a risk. I guess the US has a different list? The same thing happened to Cat Stevens recently didn't it?

When I came through customs on the way back from UK last May, I was questioned repeatedly if I'd been in Canada a few weeks before...had to adamantly assert that I had not been anywhere near the place, ever- I guess my name or initials were throwing something up. I've heard of scores of people who have been treated suspiciously because part of their name matches something on their hit lists.

FlyergirlUK Jan 12th 2005 10:33 pm

If you book a ticket online with BA they ask for all relevant details there and then, e.g. full name on your passport and passport number. I don't see why that information can't be forwarded sooner than waiting til you're already in the air.

While I appreciate that not everyone does this or has the means to do this, it'd save a lot of hassle.

Taffyles Jan 12th 2005 10:41 pm

Originally Posted by FlyergirlUK
If you book a ticket online with BA they ask for all relevant details there and then, e.g. full name on your passport and passport number. I don't see why that information can't be forwarded sooner than waiting til you're already in the air.

While I appreciate that not everyone does this or has the means to do this, it'd save a lot of hassle.

But you might not actually get on the plane even after booking- lists are sent after take-off of passengers actually sitting on the plane.

They should have a universal "high risk" list IMO

Although why the US customs simply couldn't detain the man and send him back on the next plane is beyond me. Making the whole plane turn round is daft.

tony126 Jan 12th 2005 10:42 pm

Originally Posted by Taffyles
But you might not actually get on the plane even after booking- lists are sent after take-off of passengers actually sitting on the plane.

They should have a universal "high risk" list IMO

Although why the US customs simply couldn't detain the man and send him back on the next plane is beyond me. Making the whole plane turn round is daft.

Was it BA who made the decision to return?

FlyergirlUK Jan 12th 2005 10:44 pm

Originally Posted by Taffyles

Agreed! I'd have been absolutely fuming if I was on that plane.

AdobePinon Jan 12th 2005 10:44 pm

Originally Posted by tony126
Was it BA who made the decision to return?

No, "US authorities".

tony126 Jan 12th 2005 10:45 pm

Originally Posted by AdobePinon
No, "US authorities".

Iwonder if that would have happened if it was a US airline?

AdobePinon Jan 12th 2005 10:48 pm

Since the US authorities still haven't managed to get the new 'no fly' list to BA after one month I guess we should be impressed that they ID'd the passenger at all.

Lion in Winter Jan 12th 2005 11:33 pm

Funny, you would think that if the person was actually dangerous, you would want to let the plane land and arrest him immediately, rather then a) oblige a plane load of people to spend another 6 hours shut up with him at 35,000 feet when who knows what he might have in the soles of his shoes and b) send him back to England where he has not been arrested. If he were really dangerous, of course.

Bob Jan 12th 2005 11:42 pm

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
...b) send him back to England where he has not been arrested. If he were really dangerous, of course.

Still not been arrested has he?