Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

BA To Charge for Seat Selection

BA To Charge for Seat Selection

Old Sep 27th 2009, 6:52 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: BA To Charge for Seat Selection

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
SEA to LAX is usually published as 2.5 I think, but it never has taken that long....usually 2 hours. Wonder why they do that....

Its called schedule padding, DOT counts a flight that arrives within 14 minutes as ontime, anything over 15 is late.

Airlines use averages for taxi times at both airports to determine how much to pad the schedule, busier airports gets more taxi time included in said schedule.

Airlines can control departure pretty easy but anything can make a flight arrive late many of which the airline cannot control, so they pad the schedule to keep arrivals ontime.
Old Sep 27th 2009, 4:37 pm
Banned

exvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Orangepants
I was upgraded last week on a flight to Cayman just 2 mins before the flight took off (no idea why) guess they just had a space in FC. So had to disturb my fellow travellers collect my belongings etc as I had window seat. Got put next to a fat, leering, smelly, sweaty businessman who sniffed every 15 seconds whilst trying out the corniest pick up lines... I got my G&T and asked to move back to my original seat!!
I really wouldnt mind flying if it wasn't for the other passengers.
I once packed in a girlfriend coz she made a strange noise in her throat every 30 seconds.. not quite canada goose, quieter, but along those lines
It was ok when we were out and about, but on a wet Sunday afternoon when you are sat on the settee trying to watch a film, it can really pop your skull...
Your story confirms my opinion that first class can be worse than economy and it depends who you are set next to. On one Delta - Manchester/Atlanta, I was sat in front of 2 businessmen in first class (That was when the company paid my fare), and they had each been eating a kilo of raw garlic mixed with Jack Daniels I reckon. They breathed it down the back of my neck all the way. It was like taking a 7am bus in Bradford which is why I always tried to avoid that - I am an unashamed GARLICIST. Anti-social behaviour knows no socio-economic class boundaries as evidenced by public schoolboys throwing bread rolls in restaurants

Perhaps the most best tactic would be to try and use a route where the planes dont fly full, then I can move around to escape the worst excesses of our fellow humans
Old Sep 29th 2009, 12:52 pm
lush

Juswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lansbury
All they are doing is charging to allow you to reserve seats at time of booking. Something you cannot do now.

At the moment you can only reserve seats 24 hours before departure. You will still be able to do that for free.

What's the problem?
ahhhhhh...ok.
I was so angry about this when i read it on another thread....but....ok...calming down now
Old Sep 29th 2009, 1:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

dave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by exvj
Aisle seats provide a quick getaway when the plane lands - and also I can go walkies without disturbing everyone.

However, if the window person has a weak bladder, I can be woken or disturbed every few minutes. I guess it's the luck of the draw. I think aisle seats should be allocated on the basis of people's lower 'bladder endurance index' and window seats on their lower body mass index.
Transvestites should be pre - declared to assist with seating unaccompied children and required to wear a prominent sticker which says 'I am a geezer really'. Persons with heavy colds should be provided with sterilized motorcycle crash helmets and then shrink wrapped at the gate. Persons who's religion requires them to rock back and forth and wail etc while praying, should be required to do it in the toilets as it makes other people travel sick.

Let's face it, I am going to have to try harder at my investments so I can afford my own Lear jet - then I can Leer at the assorted multitude as they trudge down the loading bridge for that 10 hour flight, nor knowing what horrors they will have to face

I would rather be sat in economy with someone inobtrusive, than in first class with one of those described or a hyped up rock group or Diana Ross etc - it really is all down to luck
And everyone who needs to tilt their chair back to be placed one after another
Old Oct 1st 2009, 11:57 am
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

All they are doing is charging to allow you to reserve seats at time of booking. Something you cannot do now.

At the moment you can only reserve seats 24 hours before departure. You will still be able to do that for free.

What's the problem?
The problem is that the more bastards pay the extra the less chance of getting the seat(s) you want 24 hours before flying. This will then reach the point that most people end up paying the dosh for fear of getting 34B with their partner in 99J (both middle seats).

End result - return fare effectively increases.
Old Oct 1st 2009, 2:59 pm
Banned

exvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tonrob
The problem is that the more bastards pay the extra the less chance of getting the seat(s) you want 24 hours before flying. This will then reach the point that most people end up paying the dosh for fear of getting 34B with their partner in 99J (both middle seats).

End result - return fare effectively increases.
That's right - it' selling by fear. We know from American politics that fear works.

Hermann Goering revealed that fear of foreigners was a great political selling point for the nazi agenda

They use fear even when you buy stuff on line - they say $25 rush guaranteed shipping or your stuff might not arrive in time for your holiday etc

Insurance and burglar alarms and personal alarms for old people are sold using fear

Fear drove people to hoard ammunition and it was almost impossible to get it in the last 18 months - it's starting to flow now but many guns are on back order and I am on 3 waiting lists for mine

I expect that paying a big premium at the time of booking will become the norm unless we can cause the airlines to fear losing passengers and that wont happen as they have us captive

It's a sore afraid new world in the words of Duran Duran's wild boys...
Old Oct 1st 2009, 3:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

That's right - it' selling by fear. We know from American politics that fear works.

Hermann Goering revealed that fear of foreigners was a great political selling point for the nazi agenda

They use fear even when you buy stuff on line - they say $25 rush guaranteed shipping or your stuff might not arrive in time for your holiday etc

Insurance and burglar alarms and personal alarms for old people are sold using fear

Fear drove people to hoard ammunition and it was almost impossible to get it in the last 18 months - it's starting to flow now but many guns are on back order and I am on 3 waiting lists for mine

I expect that paying a big premium at the time of booking will become the norm unless we can cause the airlines to fear losing passengers and that wont happen as they have us captive

It's a sore afraid new world in the words of Duran Duran's wild boys...
You missed the biggest one of all ... car rental companies selling insurance on fear of an accident ... I decline all those coverages on principle! They turn a $30/day rate into a $60/day rate - amazing, really!

My biggest gripe with most domestic airlines now is that they are charging for baggage. So of course, everyone tries even harder to sneak all their shit on as carry on, delaying boarding and making for ultra-crowded cabins. I wish the airlines would enforce their carry on rules !
Old Oct 1st 2009, 3:29 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Steerpike
You missed the biggest one of all ... car rental companies selling insurance on fear of an accident ... I decline all those coverages on principle! They turn a $30/day rate into a $60/day rate - amazing, really!

My biggest gripe with most domestic airlines now is that they are charging for baggage. So of course, everyone tries even harder to sneak all their shit on as carry on, delaying boarding and making for ultra-crowded cabins. I wish the airlines would enforce their carry on rules !
One day it will be cheaper to buy new clothes at destination, use em, and then mail em back !
Old Oct 1st 2009, 4:02 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tonrob
The problem is that the more bastards pay the extra the less chance of getting the seat(s) you want 24 hours before flying.
Terrible isn't it, people exercising a choice to spend their money

If you want to fly for peanuts expect to be treated like a monkey.

Last edited by lansbury; Oct 1st 2009 at 4:14 pm.
Old Oct 1st 2009, 4:12 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

One day it will be cheaper to buy new clothes at destination, use em, and then mail em back !
having to pay for baggage is reducing the savings on smuggling stuff
Old Oct 1st 2009, 4:20 pm
Banned

I am trying to spend my wad rather than leave it to my son and so I am paying more for hotels and flights nowadays. I dont mind paying for a hotel which isnt in the ghetto or paying for better flight timings - that is just the market and we pay more for good stuff and good services.

I call that positive purchasing

What I dont like is negative selling where they play on fear rather than delighting us for what paying extra. They deliberately introduce 'bad things' that might happen like being seated apart. Things that were not the norm before

This thing of we will split you up from now on if you dont pay is very negative. It's like saying 'we carry limited coffee, so pay double up front if you want to be guaranteed some' or We hope to land at heathrow, but some of our flights might be diverted to humberside for operational reasons - if you dont want to be on a flight that might be diverted, the tickets are extra.

All that stuff is negative, and playing on fear rather than offering a superior service which people can decide to pay for

A bit like Al Capone offering you insurance on your shop window
Old Oct 1st 2009, 4:39 pm

All that stuff is negative, and playing on fear rather than offering a superior service which people can decide to pay for

A bit like Al Capone offering you insurance on your shop window
Since Michael O"Leary proved that maketing practing works and you could treat people like cr*p and they would still buy tickets, and that all the vast majority who travel economy care about is the price the whole service thing has gone down the toilet.

Think back to the AA "more room in coach" idea. Give people more leg room but they have to pay a bit more and what happens they find their seats are empty because people would rather pay less and get less and they have to go back to the old seat pitch. Those in economy who would pay more for a better service are a very small majority.
Old Oct 1st 2009, 4:47 pm
Banned

Since Michael O"Leary proved that maketing practing works and you could treat people like cr*p and they would still buy tickets, and that all the vast majority who travel economy care about is the price the whole service thing has gone down the toilet.

Think back to the AA "more room in coach" idea. Give people more leg room but they have to pay a bit more and what happens they find their seats are empty because people would rather pay less and get less and they have to go back to the old seat pitch. Those in economy who would pay more for a better service are a very small majority.
I have even booked a better hire car in Manchester next week !
I would pay for extra leg room but not huge money - if they lose 5% of passengers in a section by extending leg room, i would certainly pay an extra 6% or whatever. Width is a big problem now as the 350 pounders spill over sideways into the adjacent seats - one on them on each side and all the announcements get very muffled and both ears are covered in talc
Old Oct 3rd 2009, 2:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

I have even booked a better hire car in Manchester next week !
I would pay for extra leg room but not huge money - if they lose 5% of passengers in a section by extending leg room, i would certainly pay an extra 6% or whatever. Width is a big problem now as the 350 pounders spill over sideways into the adjacent seats - one on them on each side and all the announcements get very muffled and both ears are covered in talc
You do have problems, don't you? I would imagine if I had "350 pounders" sitting to the side of me every time I flew, I would just give up and not fly at all.
Old Oct 3rd 2009, 3:02 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: BA To Charge for Seat Selection

I just had a video chat with my spouse and his sister on Skype as she arrived in Singapore a few hours ago for a fortnight's visit.

She was flying with BA (not a frequent flyer with them and was flying on World Traveller - economy) from LHR-SIN and had checked in at the airport. As she was at the boarding gate to get on the plane, one of the BA staff told her that she had a change of seat and she had been upgraded to Club World (business class). How lucky is that on a 13 hour flight?!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.