Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

BA To Charge for Seat Selection

BA To Charge for Seat Selection

Old Sep 25th 2009, 5:23 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Exclamation BA To Charge for Seat Selection

Oh dear....this begins on 7th October!

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standa...t-selection.do

I wonder how long it will be before they start charging for alcoholic drinks similar to all of the US airlines.....?
Old Sep 25th 2009, 5:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: BA To Charge for Seat Selection

Originally Posted by Englishmum
Oh dear....this begins on 7th October!

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standa...t-selection.do

I wonder how long it will be before they start charging for alcoholic drinks similar to all of the US airlines.....?
I liked this comment: "On the plus side this may mean my kids are sitting next to someone else on our half term flight this year so maybe not all bad"

We find BA the best airline UK-US but will have to see how this actually works as to whether we use them.
Old Sep 25th 2009, 6:02 pm
Banned

exvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond repute

So this means I could be sat next to some some hot chick instead of my wife ? (also a hot chick but I dont notice as much as I should). That's terrible !
On the other hand, have you noticed that 350lbs mountains of blubber tend to travel together - they must have the same eating habits/chip pan - so this could split em up - one on each side of me ! I had that last year and they both flobbled over into my space and I couldnt get my arms on the rests as there was a ham shank sized arm there already. I am quite broad and 6ft (196lbs), so I was squeezed like I was sleeping in a shed full of flatulent elephant seals. BA, Heathrow - Seattle, well at least they will both have got my cold.
Old Sep 25th 2009, 6:04 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

All they are doing is charging to allow you to reserve seats at time of booking. Something you cannot do now.

At the moment you can only reserve seats 24 hours before departure. You will still be able to do that for free.

What's the problem?
Old Sep 25th 2009, 6:05 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by exvj
So this means I could be sat next to some some hot chick instead of my wife ? That's terrible !
I always manage that. Just reserve the wife a seat in economy and your own in business
Old Sep 25th 2009, 6:10 pm
Banned

exvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lansbury
All they are doing is charging to allow you to reserve seats at time of booking. Something you cannot do now.

At the moment you can only reserve seats 24 hours before departure. You will still be able to do that for free.

What's the problem?
I had a problem coming back last time in July. I didnt have my a laptop with me so I didnt log on 24 hours before the return and we got split up for the 10 hour flight when we checked in at the airport
I am going again in 2 weeks so i will take the laptop for sure and check in 23hrs and 59 mins before departure
That was nothing to do with this latest change so getting split up has been going on a while now....perhaps they have been doing it to soften people up for this new charge - get a few horror stories going around then people will pay it. Us tighto Yorkshire types will still try and get seated together for free 24 hours before, but their website is always slow and drops out so its a gamble
Old Sep 25th 2009, 6:18 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=632537
Old Sep 26th 2009, 7:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

So this means I could be sat next to some some hot chick instead of my wife ? (also a hot chick but I dont notice as much as I should). That's terrible !
On the other hand, have you noticed that 350lbs mountains of blubber tend to travel together - they must have the same eating habits/chip pan - so this could split em up - one on each side of me ! I had that last year and they both flobbled over into my space and I couldnt get my arms on the rests as there was a ham shank sized arm there already. I am quite broad and 6ft (196lbs), so I was squeezed like I was sleeping in a shed full of flatulent elephant seals. BA, Heathrow - Seattle, well at least they will both have got my cold.
Are you a writer? You should be! That's a fun read!

-------------
I've been flying SF-Phoenix on a regular basis recently and actually appreciate the fact that for $10 extra I can get an up-front aisle or window seat on US Airways. United charge $25 though ...

Last edited by Steerpike; Sep 26th 2009 at 7:39 am.
Old Sep 26th 2009, 4:29 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Steerpike
Are you a writer? You should be! That's a fun read!

-------------
I've been flying SF-Phoenix on a regular basis recently and actually appreciate the fact that for $10 extra I can get an up-front aisle or window seat on US Airways. United charge $25 though ...
Aisle seats provide a quick getaway when the plane lands - and also I can go walkies without disturbing everyone.

However, if the window person has a weak bladder, I can be woken or disturbed every few minutes. I guess it's the luck of the draw. I think aisle seats should be allocated on the basis of people's lower 'bladder endurance index' and window seats on their lower body mass index.
Transvestites should be pre - declared to assist with seating unaccompied children and required to wear a prominent sticker which says 'I am a geezer really'. Persons with heavy colds should be provided with sterilized motorcycle crash helmets and then shrink wrapped at the gate. Persons who's religion requires them to rock back and forth and wail etc while praying, should be required to do it in the toilets as it makes other people travel sick.

Let's face it, I am going to have to try harder at my investments so I can afford my own Lear jet - then I can Leer at the assorted multitude as they trudge down the loading bridge for that 10 hour flight, nor knowing what horrors they will have to face

I would rather be sat in economy with someone inobtrusive, than in first class with one of those described or a hyped up rock group or Diana Ross etc - it really is all down to luck
Old Sep 26th 2009, 5:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Aisle seats provide a quick getaway when the plane lands
I've yet to make a quick getaway off of a plane, regardless where I sat. However, have to agree with you, at least an aisle seat provides you with a bit more freedom.
Old Sep 26th 2009, 5:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Orangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond repute

I was upgraded last week on a flight to Cayman just 2 mins before the flight took off (no idea why) guess they just had a space in FC. So had to disturb my fellow travellers collect my belongings etc as I had window seat. Got put next to a fat, leering, smelly, sweaty businessman who sniffed every 15 seconds whilst trying out the corniest pick up lines... I got my G&T and asked to move back to my original seat!!
I really wouldnt mind flying if it wasn't for the other passengers.
Old Sep 26th 2009, 6:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
I've yet to make a quick getaway off of a plane, regardless where I sat. However, have to agree with you, at least an aisle seat provides you with a bit more freedom.
On the Phoenix/San Francisco route that has become my regular gig, I travel with nothing but a back-pack (fully stocked wardrobe at both ends!). If I sit in the front row(s), I can be on the freeway at the published landing time if the plane makes good headway; it's pretty amazing really. I don't know why they write it up as a 2hr flight; it's usually landed in 1.5, and I'm fully clear of the airport by 2 hrs.

And even though I've been flying for decades, I still get a massive thrill out of looking out the window, especially when flying into/out of SF - the hills, the fog, the ocean ... I can never get enough of it from the air. And 'any' city at night looks fascinating. For longer trips, though, I always go aisle at this point.
Old Sep 26th 2009, 6:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Orangepants
I was upgraded last week on a flight to Cayman just 2 mins before the flight took off (no idea why) guess they just had a space in FC. So had to disturb my fellow travellers collect my belongings etc as I had window seat. Got put next to a fat, leering, smelly, sweaty businessman who sniffed every 15 seconds whilst trying out the corniest pick up lines... I got my G&T and asked to move back to my original seat!!
I really wouldnt mind flying if it wasn't for the other passengers.
What was the movie / novel (googling now ...) ... 'Accidental Tourist' (Anne Tyler - great novel and movie!) - the relevant tip was, always travel with a book, so you can bury your head in it and avoid conversation. Modern-day variation - always carry an ipod / wear headphones so you can ignore your neighbor.
Old Sep 26th 2009, 11:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike
I don't know why they write it up as a 2hr flight; it's usually landed in 1.5, and I'm fully clear of the airport by 2 hrs.
SEA to LAX is usually published as 2.5 I think, but it never has taken that long....usually 2 hours. Wonder why they do that....
Old Sep 27th 2009, 12:50 am

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
SEA to LAX is usually published as 2.5 I think, but it never has taken that long....usually 2 hours. Wonder why they do that....
Allows them 30 minutes for sitting in the takeoff line and still be on time

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.