Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

BA Air miles

BA Air miles

Old Feb 24th 2005, 3:46 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: BA Air miles

Originally Posted by ladylisa
I'm flying American Airlines for the first time to London on Saturday....did I hear correctly that I will have to buy alcohol!!!!!!!!!! poo!!!!!!!!! I always make it my policy to try and drink the same value in alcohol as my ticket cost.
time for a policy change then
Old Feb 24th 2005, 4:59 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: BA Air miles

Actually right now there is a fantastic BA 'Winter Offers' promotion to get enough air miles for a return trip to London if you fly Club or First from now until 30 April....40,250 miles in addition to the usual airmiles for your journey:

http://www.britishairways.com/travel...s?prim=specoff

Also if you fly Club you can take a companion for free (see link above). The trouble is, my bloody husband only seems to travel during term time and I can't leave my son home alone in the US...

For travellers in economy class there is also a really good package to fly to London and get 3 nights in a 4* hotel and West End theatre ticket (probably works out to be little more than paying just for the air fare alone. Again - same link as above.
Old Feb 24th 2005, 8:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

I'd recommend racking up the miles, as someone else has said, worked out great for me when I finally emigrated here - a one way flight was more expensive than a return, but using miles sneakily avoided that (I had enough for a one way).

It does depend on how frequently you travel with BA, of course as to whether its worth it or not.
Old Feb 24th 2005, 9:19 pm
I love Marmite, she don't

franc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to behold
Default Round the world

I had been with BA for years and clocked up nealrly 900,000 air miles. Flying and my BA Credit card.

A couple years ago. I took a month out and went around the world business class for myself, wife and 2 older kids. LONDON-TOKYO-AUSTRLIA-HAWAII-ATLANTA. Total was 600,000 miles (back then). It was awesome.

I use my BA credit cards for EVERYTHING, as many bills as possible, everything on-line and even including a cup of coffee. It adds up. I wish I could pay my Mortgage with it

Now, you can pay about $1000 for a Premium Economy seat plus 25,000 to upgrade to CLUB. I'm doing that in the summer for the 4 of us. Economy prices creep up soon so it was a good deal. I think CLUB (flat beds) is the only way to fly and I'll move heaven and earth to fly that way. I used to be SIlver and got upgraded a lot for free when flights were full. I'm 6'2" so it means a lot to me

I also have Delta miles and they are a real pain. thankfully, it's so cheap again to fly in the USA (mostly), it doesn't matter.
Old Feb 24th 2005, 9:34 pm
No, it's toe-mart-o!

Chandler has a brilliant futureChandler has a brilliant futureChandler has a brilliant futureChandler has a brilliant futureChandler has a brilliant futureChandler has a brilliant futureChandler has a brilliant future
Default Re: Round the world

I've applied for my BA Credit card but given that I'm new over here I'm expecting a refusal this time around. Once I get it however I'm going to do likewise and put every possible $ on it.

It's true about the flat beds. Once you've tried it, you simply can't go back.
Old Feb 25th 2005, 7:03 pm
Just Joined

licon is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Englishmum
I guess it depends on how frequently you are likely to travel with BA or one of their One World partners eg. American Airlines....if for example you travel on a trip with AA you can add the miles to your BA executive card.
That's not necessarily true. On competing routes, mainly the transatlantic ones, you can't earn BA miles by flying on American and vice versa.
Old Feb 25th 2005, 9:45 pm
No, it's toe-mart-o!

Chandler has a brilliant futureChandler has a brilliant futureChandler has a brilliant futureChandler has a brilliant futureChandler has a brilliant futureChandler has a brilliant futureChandler has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by licon
That's not necessarily true. On competing routes, mainly the transatlantic ones, you can't earn BA miles by flying on American and vice versa.
I stand to be correct, but I believe AA transatlantic routes are the only routes that do not qualify for airmiles. Flights anywhere else with AA or for that matter a flight with any other of their alliance members on any other route will brings rewards.

Regardless of miles, AA transatlantic would have to be a lot cheaper than BA before I considered them.
Old Feb 27th 2005, 7:11 am
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

I thought I'd add this to the BA Miles discussion, since I just discovered it:

My wife and I each have separate Executive Club accounts. Last time I looked at a "household" account to merge the two, BA were charging a significant amount of money to do so (this was a couple of years ago, i guess).

Looking at the site today, it's now free. They allow you to combine the accounts of up to six people and (oddly) only require that those six people reside at the same address (they don't seem to need to be related).

Anyway, it's great news for us, since our combined balances are much more useful than when they're separate.
Old Feb 27th 2005, 12:17 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Big D
Be very wary of BA Exec club - you have to jump through hoops to get points as not all flights qualify, only those that you pay full price for! And it will take a long time to get silver. I have same dilema at the moment - BA is best route for me to get home, and well priced but I think the Exec club is a dsgrace when compared with say BMI Diamond Club.

Had the opportunity of flying Virgin Upper Class and wow!!! Flew Air France Biz class transatlantic, not impressed at all-a middle seat is a middle seat no matter how big it is, .
My corporate clients (I'm a travel agent) are SERIOUS about getting their miles and benefiting from them-registering with hotel and rental car loyalty programs in addition to the airline's programs.
I prefer using my miles for a free transatlantic ticket rather than upgrade-you have to spend a fair amount for an upgradeable fare.