Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

B2 Visa and obtaining State ID Card

B2 Visa and obtaining State ID Card

Old Jun 28th 2013, 6:59 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: B2 Visa and obtaining State ID Card

Originally Posted by cybernet1969
Update.

1. Been offered a Savage 1895 .250 from private seller.

2. Spoke to a FFL and he said, bring your passport with visa, alien number, and something with your state address on it and he will do the 4473. Then its upto NICS background check, i.e. Proceed, Denial, Wait etc.

So, fingers crossed.

Cheers

Mark
Ummm
From memory the 1895 came in 303 savage
250 was 1899
Old Jun 28th 2013, 8:07 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Isn't .25 hard to get, well all ammo is but this more so?
Old Jun 28th 2013, 8:10 pm
Forum Regular

cybernet1969 will become famous soon enoughcybernet1969 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Boiler
Isn't .25 hard to get, well all ammo is but this more so?
You can still get .250 and .303 ammo but it isn't cheap. About $2 per round.

Mark

PS. If you have a look on www.gunbot.net then you can get what ammo you want.
Old Jun 28th 2013, 8:20 pm
Forum Regular

cybernet1969 will become famous soon enoughcybernet1969 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Ray
Ummm
From memory the 1895 came in 303 savage
250 was 1899
It has been restored and the barrel/etc changed to .250

Mark
Old Jun 28th 2013, 10:05 pm
Account Closed

materialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond repute

One more person with a history of mental illness holding a gun in the USA!
Old Jun 28th 2013, 10:09 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by materialcontroller
One more person with a history of mental illness holding a gun in the USA!
I don't have a history of mental illness.
Old Jun 28th 2013, 10:12 pm
Account Closed

materialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond repute

I don't have a history of mental illness.
So the bit about needing medication for depression wasn't you then?

Actually there's no need to answer that. We all know it was you.
Old Jun 28th 2013, 10:17 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by materialcontroller
So the bit about needing medication for depression wasn't you then?

Actually there's no need to answer that. We all know it was you.
Yes that was me.

You saying being given tablets for depression after one's father dies 8 years ago means you have a history of mental health issues ?

If you do then it is you who has the problem.

It matters not as the USA NICS background check would not as they would not even be aware of it.
Old Jun 28th 2013, 11:02 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

I am not requiring a State issued DL. I have no plans of driving in any state. All I need is a State issued ID, which is the same as a DL but without being allowed to drive.
My point was that you won't be able to drive on your UK licence, if you get pulled over you will be in the State DMV database. State ID means you're claiming to be resident.

Also, back in 2004 I was given medication after being diagnosed with depression when my father died. That is now in the past but the purposes of applying for an Firearms Certificate here in the UK means I would be almost certainly denied when the police do their checks as you have to provide details of your Doctor/GP.
It doesn't mean that at all, read Home Office Guidance to police.
Old Jun 28th 2013, 11:03 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Someone sent me this but I have no idea if it is still applicable or law.
No, it's not, it was scrapped last year. The regulation had no foundation in law.
Old Jun 28th 2013, 11:06 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Originally Posted by EMNofSeattle
Not a good plan if the OP wants to keep it here in the USA, the 6NIA is issued to you on the assumption that you're going to take the gun with you when you leave.
My point was that he should bring it over and take it back with him and get a firearm certificate. Leaving an unattended firearm in a building for months on end is a bad idea, period. Especially given that if he ever gets denied entry for whatever reason it will be there indefinitely.

Pretending to be a resident of a State so he can fill in a 4473 is a bad idea, imo. But hey don't listen to me. Wait for the IRS and the State tax dept. to figure it out.
Old Jun 28th 2013, 11:07 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

You saying being given tablets for depression after one's father dies 8 years ago means you have a history of mental health issues ?

If you do then it is you who has the problem.
Exactly, so get a firearm certificate.
Old Jun 28th 2013, 11:14 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Steve_
My point was that you won't be able to drive on your UK licence, if you get pulled over you will be in the State DMV database. State ID means you're claiming to be resident.

It doesn't mean that at all, read Home Office Guidance to police.
Steve,

I wont be driving on my UK DL. I have no plans on driving any car on any license.

Back in 2009 I applied for an FAC after completing 6 months probationary at Harlow Rifle Club in Essex. It was denied. I only applied for a .22 rimfire. I had no previous cautions/convictions etc. The club was rather amazed as they gave a reference, obviously.

Anyway, it matters not. They had their reasons back then.
Old Jun 28th 2013, 11:37 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

So how do you plan on getting to the range then?

You might find things have changed re the certificate given the passage of time, they might have been a bit nervous given that your depression was more recent at the time.
Old Jun 28th 2013, 11:46 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Steve_
So how do you plan on getting to the range then?

You might find things have changed re the certificate given the passage of time, they might have been a bit nervous given that your depression was more recent at the time.
Well, I have several friends in the US who I am sure will take me to the range as I have been hunting with them on previous visits. Failing that then I will just ring for a taxi/cab there and back.

If you read my post a couple back then you would all realise that I no longer need to apply for state ID as an FFL has said to me just bring my passport, visa, alien number and an official state/federal document with my local address on and he will fill out the 4473 form. It is then down to whatever response he gets back. If it is a proceed then he is covered by law and so am I. As long as I am in the US legally and I always have a valid state hunting license then I cannot be prohibited from purchasing or being in the possession of a firearm and/or ammunition. Both must remain in the US when I leave and cannot be exported unless I have the required documentation.

I doubt things would have changed here in the UK but you might be right. Guns are a big NO NO in this country. Shooting an air rifle in your back garden can end up in the police turning up with an armed response unit.

Mark

Last edited by cybernet1969; Jun 28th 2013 at 11:48 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.