Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

B2 Visa and obtaining State ID Card

B2 Visa and obtaining State ID Card

Old Jun 23rd 2013, 4:28 pm
Forum Regular

cybernet1969 will become famous soon enoughcybernet1969 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: B2 Visa and obtaining State ID Card

If you goto the USA and need your I-94 admission number then you can retrieve it from this link.

https://i94.cbp.dhs.gov/I94/request.html

As you may know you don't get given a paper I-94 anymore.

Cheers all

Mark
Old Jun 23rd 2013, 6:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cybernet1969
Personally, I would prefer to live in a country where I wasn't told by the state/government what I can or cannot do.
Good luck finding somewhere like that - it certainly isn't the US - the "land of the free" has become the "land of the over regulated" ...
Old Jun 23rd 2013, 7:13 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by md95065
Good luck finding somewhere like that - it certainly isn't the US - the "land of the free" has become the "land of the over regulated" ...
I agree. Much as I like living here the degree of interfering laws and regulations is, IMO greater here than it was in the UK when I left, 12 years ago.
Old Jun 24th 2013, 1:54 am
Forum Regular

ALBRUZ is just really niceALBRUZ is just really niceALBRUZ is just really niceALBRUZ is just really niceALBRUZ is just really niceALBRUZ is just really niceALBRUZ is just really niceALBRUZ is just really niceALBRUZ is just really nice

I do not wish to have a handgun or M16/AR15 etc.

Why not they are great fun

Regards
Alan
Old Jun 24th 2013, 5:14 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cybernet1969

All a non-immigrant alien needs is a valid state hunting license (even if you don't plan on hunting), valid state issued DL or ID and alien admission number which you can request at the POE if you no longer receive the paper I-94.
Mark
https://license.myfwc.com/Customer/CustomerLookup

seem they may not agree
Old Jun 24th 2013, 5:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
If you click on the "not a US Citizen" option, it just asks for a foreign license or passport number to get a hunting license.
Old Jun 24th 2013, 5:32 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Michael
If you click on the "not a US Citizen" option, it just asks for a foreign license or passport number to get a hunting license.
still not so sure but you maybe right

I would not sell him a gun though
Old Jun 24th 2013, 6:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
still not so sure but you maybe right

I would not sell him a gun though
Why? He seems more sane than many Americans that own guns and wants to do everything legally.
Old Jun 24th 2013, 8:09 am
Forum Regular

cybernet1969 will become famous soon enoughcybernet1969 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Ray
There's an option to select NON US Citizen, you just enter your DOB and specify a NON US DL. You enter your UK one or passport id/number.

Florida has a NON RESIDENT/Citizen hunting license. Many people from the UK go there to hunt and you can purchase one on-line, pay the fee and print it out locally.

The current rules (they change constantly) states that I can be in possession of a firearm and/or ammunition with a valid state hunting license. If I don't have the license then I am breaking the law.

However, it seems as though I cannot purchase one from an FFL. But someone could gift me one as long as no money changes hands as that would be a STRAW purchase.

Cheers all

Mark
Old Jun 24th 2013, 9:16 am
Forum Regular

Someone sent me this but I have no idea if it is still applicable or law.

Non-immigrant Aliens
Purchasing Firearms
and Ammunition in
the United States.

A non-immigrant alien generally MAY NOT purchase
a firearm from an FFL and take possession
of the firearm in the United States.

THIS PROHIBITION APPLIES UNLESS:

1. Have resided in a State for
90 days and intend to make a home in that
State – it does NOT have to be the State
where the gun purchase is occurring.
2. Were admitted to the United States for
lawful hunting or sporting purposes or are
in possession of a valid hunting license
or permit lawfully issued in the United
States.

If you meet these two criteria, you are eligible to purchase
a firearm from an FFL to possess in the United
States. However, you MAY NOT take the firearm with
you when you leave the United States.

Mark
Old Jun 24th 2013, 9:21 am
Just Joined

EMNofSeattle is an unknown quantity at this point

There are some minconceptions here

OP

I recommend you find some gun forums in the United States, I happen to know of a couple forums where you can get good information if you would like to PM me

if you are lawfully in the United States on a non-resident visa and have a valid license for the taking of game you may own a firearm. This is the text of the Gun Control Act codified as 18 USC 922 that authorizes this

(y) Provisions Relating to Aliens Admitted Under Nonimmigrant
Visas. -
(1) Definitions. - In this subsection -
(A) the term "alien" has the same meaning as in section
101(a)(3) of the Immigration and Nationality Act (8 U.S.C.
1101(a)(3)); and
(B) the term "nonimmigrant visa" has the same meaning as in
section 101(a)(26) of the Immigration and Nationality Act (8
U.S.C. 1101(a)(26)).
(2) Exceptions. - Subsections (d)(5)(B), (g)(5)(B), and
(s)(3)(B)(v)(II) do not apply to any alien who has been lawfully
admitted to the United States under a nonimmigrant visa, if that
alien is -

(A) admitted to the United States for lawful hunting or
sporting purposes or is in possession of a hunting license or
permit lawfully issued in the United States
;
if you have a non-immigrant visa and a hunting license in a state you may purchase in that state. it's likely you'll encounter resistance at gun shops, but you can do it. another option is to opt for a private sale, which are legal in the states without any paperwork nessecary. in fact, the law I just cited exempts you from 18 USC 922 (d)(5)(B) which is the restriction against a private citizen selling or transferring a firearm to a non-resident alien. since you're exempted, you can borrow or purchase a firearm privately. there is no restriction among non-NFA firearms. you may purchase a pistol, rifle, shotgun, etc

Originally Posted by Steve_
If you only want a rifle, the logical thing to do is get a firearm certificate in the UK, buy the rifle there and bring it with you when you visit, apply for a Form 6NIA import permit.
Not a good plan if the OP wants to keep it here in the USA, the 6NIA is issued to you on the assumption that you're going to take the gun with you when you leave. in fact, the 6NIA even states on the form you must remove the firearm from the United States upon conclusion of your activity here. plus you have given the ATF a paper record that you brought a gun here, so if the gun is stolen in the states while you're in UK and traced your now invalid 6NIA will come up. of course if you have a 6NIA and FAC you can take it to and fro, but don't leave it here when you leave.

[QUOTE-cybernet21]However, it seems as though I cannot purchase one from an FFL. But someone could gift me one as long as no money changes hands as that would be a STRAW purchase.[/QUOTE]

correct, you may also purchase private party.the law specifically allows this.

Another option is you may opt to purchase a muzzleloading rifle or ANY non-NFA rifle made prior to 1899 (see 18 USC 921 (a) for details) as these are not considered firearms under the gun control act of 1968 and thus are not federally regulated. just about any Krag Jorgensen rifle (a decent deer gun) can meet this bill.

NOTE I AM NOT A LAWYER PLEASE VET ALL LAWS I JUST CITED YOURSELF

Last edited by EMNofSeattle; Jun 24th 2013 at 9:34 am.
Old Jun 24th 2013, 10:45 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by EMNofSeattle
There are some minconceptions here

OP

I recommend you find some gun forums in the United States, I happen to know of a couple forums where you can get good information if you would like to PM me

if you are lawfully in the United States on a non-resident visa and have a valid license for the taking of game you may own a firearm. This is the text of the Gun Control Act codified as 18 USC 922 that authorizes this

if you have a non-immigrant visa and a hunting license in a state you may purchase in that state. it's likely you'll encounter resistance at gun shops, but you can do it. another option is to opt for a private sale, which are legal in the states without any paperwork nessecary. in fact, the law I just cited exempts you from 18 USC 922 (d)(5)(B) which is the restriction against a private citizen selling or transferring a firearm to a non-resident alien. since you're exempted, you can borrow or purchase a firearm privately. there is no restriction among non-NFA firearms. you may purchase a pistol, rifle, shotgun, etc

Not a good plan if the OP wants to keep it here in the USA, the 6NIA is issued to you on the assumption that you're going to take the gun with you when you leave. in fact, the 6NIA even states on the form you must remove the firearm from the United States upon conclusion of your activity here. plus you have given the ATF a paper record that you brought a gun here, so if the gun is stolen in the states while you're in UK and traced your now invalid 6NIA will come up. of course if you have a 6NIA and FAC you can take it to and fro, but don't leave it here when you leave.

[QUOTE-cybernet21]However, it seems as though I cannot purchase one from an FFL. But someone could gift me one as long as no money changes hands as that would be a STRAW purchase.
correct, you may also purchase private party.the law specifically allows this.

Another option is you may opt to purchase a muzzleloading rifle or ANY non-NFA rifle made prior to 1899 (see 18 USC 921 (a) for details) as these are not considered firearms under the gun control act of 1968 and thus are not federally regulated. just about any Krag Jorgensen rifle (a decent deer gun) can meet this bill.

NOTE I AM NOT A LAWYER PLEASE VET ALL LAWS I JUST CITED YOURSELF[/QUOTE]

Many thanks for this.

I have already contacted a few FFL's and there response was NO we will not sell you a firearm. One of them stated he wouldn't even sell me ammunition. Which is clearly against what the ATF documents state etc.

Looks like a gift or private sale is the way to go as long as the firearm remains at my address in the US and I always makesure I have a valid state hunting license even if I am not in the US.

I guess the problem arises if I get stopped by US police, show them my hunting license etc BUT they say where did you get the firearm from ?

I did ask the question on a well known US gun forum and got a response from an ICE supervisor who said, "Having a B2 visa and valid hunting license would not return a denial from the NICS background check, however you may still be breaking STATE law if you purchase one". Which I found not really that helpful.

Cheers

Mark

Last edited by cybernet1969; Jun 24th 2013 at 10:57 am.
Old Jun 24th 2013, 11:39 am
Just Joined

EMNofSeattle is an unknown quantity at this point

In the United States there is two separate sovereigns, the State you're in, and the Federal Government. what that officer told you was you are OK in terms of Federal law (that is, the law passed by congress and signed by the president in Washington DC) then the laws of the state you're in. you said Florida?

I would look at the Florida statutes. I just browsed their firearm code (Florida Statutes chapter 790) and can't find anything restricting a nonresident alien, but you need to look yourself because it's 4 in the morning where I am and I'm a little tired....

if something is not banned by law then it is legal by default.

so if there is no laws against non-res aliens buying guns in Florida, then you should be ok to buy one. I'm not seeing any laws restricting a private sale, so a face to face transfer is legal.

of course, exercising this is the trick. most gun owners who do face to face sales want to see ID or a concealed weapons permit so that if the gun is later found at a crime scene they can give the police a name and address and send them on their way. I can't imagine many gun owners would know the finer points of the law and would probably think it's an ATF sting if they're presented with foriegn documents as ID. not to sound prejudiced, but someone who's buying a gun from me and who speaks a thick foreign accent (and if we met at mcdonalds and you said "well I'm going inside for hamburger chips, gotta take a call on my mobile) I'm going to ask to see their ID, even though I know most British people are loving gentle souls.

If you have documentation from the ATF on ATF letterhead signed by an ATF agent I'd take that with me to any potential buyer or FFL dealer, it might make them decide to allow you...

otherwise you can always look on gun broker and order a pre-1899 rifle as I said since those can legally be mailed to your doorstep as the FedGov doesn't require background checks or a 4473 on "antique" guns

your problem here is not guns, yes you can own them. the law allows it. finding someone who will sell to you is your problem...

Last edited by EMNofSeattle; Jun 24th 2013 at 11:50 am.
Old Jun 24th 2013, 12:06 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by EMNofSeattle
In the United States there is two separate sovereigns, the State you're in, and the Federal Government. what that officer told you was you are OK in terms of Federal law (that is, the law passed by congress and signed by the president in Washington DC) then the laws of the state you're in. you said Florida?

I would look at the Florida statutes. I just browsed their firearm code (Florida Statutes chapter 790) and can't find anything restricting a nonresident alien, but you need to look yourself because it's 4 in the morning where I am and I'm a little tired....

if something is not banned by law then it is legal by default.

so if there is no laws against non-res aliens buying guns in Florida, then you should be ok to buy one. I'm not seeing any laws restricting a private sale, so a face to face transfer is legal.

of course, exercising this is the trick. most gun owners who do face to face sales want to see ID or a concealed weapons permit so that if the gun is later found at a crime scene they can give the police a name and address and send them on their way. I can't imagine many gun owners would know the finer points of the law and would probably think it's an ATF sting if they're presented with foriegn documents as ID. not to sound prejudiced, but someone who's buying a gun from me and who speaks a thick foreign accent (and if we met at mcdonalds and you said "well I'm going inside for hamburger chips, gotta take a call on my mobile) I'm going to ask to see their ID, even though I know most British people are loving gentle souls.

If you have documentation from the ATF on ATF letterhead signed by an ATF agent I'd take that with me to any potential buyer or FFL dealer, it might make them decide to allow you...

otherwise you can always look on gun broker and order a pre-1899 rifle as I said since those can legally be mailed to your doorstep as the FedGov doesn't require background checks or a 4473 on "antique" guns

your problem here is not guns, yes you can own them. the law allows it. finding someone who will sell to you is your problem...
OK

Many thanks for your time.

Mark
Old Jun 28th 2013, 4:36 pm
Forum Regular

Update.

1. Been offered a Savage 1895 .250 from private seller.

2. Spoke to a FFL and he said, bring your passport with visa, alien number, and something with your state address on it and he will do the 4473. Then its upto NICS background check, i.e. Proceed, Denial, Wait etc.

So, fingers crossed.

Cheers

Mark

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.