Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

B1 and then K1 Visa

B1 and then K1 Visa

Old Jun 16th 2001, 3:05 am

Dear sir:

If i am denied of a student visa, can i re-apply for a k1 after the denial. Will the denial give weight to my K1 application?? Actually i want to really attend the university when i get my F1 visa.
Thank you and hope to hear from you.
Regards.

Old Jun 16th 2001, 5:15 am
Jonathan_ATC

Aren't you the one who is doubting their fiancé's intentions? If not, change
your handle.

--
    >
Steen's Visa Pages http://www.mindspring.com/~docsteen/...o/visainfo.htm
Newsgroup FAQ http://www.k1faq.com Immigration and Naturalization Service
http://www.ins.usdoj.gov {I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice. For
reliable legal advice, please consult with a professional immigration attorney.}

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Jun 18th 2001, 2:53 am

Yes Jonathan, i am the one!
My fiance and I agreed that i'll study there also.
But, I can manage to apply an F1 visa by my own without his support. (typo error of the subject: That should be F1 instead)
Regards

Old Jun 18th 2001, 3:59 pm
ab39c

guest <[email protected]>
    >
    >
    >

Ok, I'm reading the subject line as "B1 and then F1 visa", assuming that your
intention is to enter US as a tourist and then change the status to student (F1)?
Well, it is possible to change the status from B1 to F1 from within US (although it's
adviceable to apply and obtain F1 in your country). For that you have to obtain I-20
form from the University and then apply for COS via form I-539 (actually there is an
immigration advisor/liaison at the University that might do that). You will have to
enroll as a full time student, pay tuition at the rates for international students
which are higher then the rates for residents, and above all show sufficient funds to
support yourself for at least the first year (that runs from $12000 up, depending on
the school). Such a proof would be: funds on the savings account, CD (checking
account usually does not work). Check with the school because your fiancee may or MAY
NOT be able to act as a sponsor on your behalf. You will also have to maintain a
certain GPA (in other words don't think about skipping/failing classes if you want to
keep your F1 status). Since F1 is a non-immigrant visa (like B1 is), you will have to
show enough ties to your home country and intention to return after your study is
completed. As of the effect of the denial of F1 on your possible K1 application, I
don't have an answer, but I think (NG please correct me on this one), that you can
apply for K1 only in your country (or maybe in offices in Canada and Mexico).

This is only my personal opinion, not a legal advice, as I am not a lawyer.