Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

B-1 Visa and getting a drivers licence (Texas)

B-1 Visa and getting a drivers licence (Texas)

Old Oct 19th 2005, 9:15 pm
Just Joined

ravenhill is an unknown quantity at this point
Default B-1 Visa and getting a drivers licence (Texas)

Hi all,

Just got my B-1 visa today which has been given for a year. I currently dont have a UK drivers licence so am hoping I can get my Texas licence soon after I head out.

Can anyone tell me if this is possible? From what I can see you dont need a SSN as you can submit a "Social Security Affidavit (DL-13)" but I am not exactly sure what this is. Again can anyone shed any info on this? Is an ITIN number, which I think I can get (correct me if I am wrong), any use to me.

Apologies for all the questions but if I can't get a licence out there I am gonna be pretty bug***ed!!

Any info/advice would be really greatful!!

TIA,

Ravenhill.
Old Oct 19th 2005, 9:41 pm
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: B-1 Visa and getting a drivers licence (Texas)

I'm going to assume that the process is the same as it was for an H1B visa holder.

If you are eligible for a Social Security Number then I believe you'll have to provide one. The "Social Security Affidavit (DL-13)" is only for people who are not entitled to a SSN, such as my wife as an H4 visa holder.

You'll also have to take the full driving test, including the written and practical tests, although both are disconcertingly easy!

I don't know what you're going to do without a UK drivers license, to be honest. It took me over a month to get my SSN when I arrived, and in the meantime I drove on my UK license. Texas allows a full year for foreign drivers to get a Texas license, but obviously you need one or the other. Added to that, you'll pay an extortionate amount for car insurance without a Texas license.

Since you'll need a UK license to even rent a car, I don't know what to suggest. Where will you be in Texas? The public transport here in DFW is pretty much non-existant, but I guess you could try to use busses, trains and taxis while you're waiting on your SSN!

Good luck!

Originally Posted by ravenhill
Hi all,

Just got my B-1 visa today which has been given for a year. I currently dont have a UK drivers licence so am hoping I can get my Texas licence soon after I head out.

Can anyone tell me if this is possible? From what I can see you dont need a SSN as you can submit a "Social Security Affidavit (DL-13)" but I am not exactly sure what this is. Again can anyone shed any info on this? Is an ITIN number, which I think I can get (correct me if I am wrong), any use to me.

Apologies for all the questions but if I can't get a licence out there I am gonna be pretty bug***ed!!

Any info/advice would be really greatful!!

TIA,

Ravenhill.
Old Oct 19th 2005, 10:49 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Without the correct visa ..You may have difficulty getting a Texas license but go thru http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/

Very unsual to get a B-1/2 for just a year ..
Are you assuming the POE .will let you stay for a year with it ..
Why would you want an ITIN ..you are not allowed to work ..
Old Oct 20th 2005, 12:27 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Ray
Without the correct visa ..You may have difficulty getting a Texas license but go thru http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/

Very unsual to get a B-1/2 for just a year ..
Are you assuming the POE .will let you stay for a year with it ..
Why would you want an ITIN ..you are not allowed to work ..
I was going to say the same re Driving License, in the majority of States its a no goer.

The Visa may be a year, but your admittance any one trip is another matter, 6 months is the norm.

Best to get your UK License sorted before you leave.
Old Oct 20th 2005, 12:39 am
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

You can ignore most of my reply, since for some reason I hadn't woken up to the fact that you won't be entitled to a SSN, and so you will have to file a DL-13 if you apply for a Texas license. Basically you sign a form saying you're not entitled to a SSN, and then swear that you're not and then promise that you're really not, and then you can proceed with the driving test.

All the same, you'd be mad to do it this way. Best bet, since Texas allows you to drive for a year on a UK license is to get your license before you come out here, and then drive on that. It'll save you no end of trouble!

Originally Posted by dbj1000
I'm going to assume that the process is the same as it was for an H1B visa holder.

If you are eligible for a Social Security Number then I believe you'll have to provide one. The "Social Security Affidavit (DL-13)" is only for people who are not entitled to a SSN, such as my wife as an H4 visa holder.

You'll also have to take the full driving test, including the written and practical tests, although both are disconcertingly easy!

I don't know what you're going to do without a UK drivers license, to be honest. It took me over a month to get my SSN when I arrived, and in the meantime I drove on my UK license. Texas allows a full year for foreign drivers to get a Texas license, but obviously you need one or the other. Added to that, you'll pay an extortionate amount for car insurance without a Texas license.

Since you'll need a UK license to even rent a car, I don't know what to suggest. Where will you be in Texas? The public transport here in DFW is pretty much non-existant, but I guess you could try to use busses, trains and taxis while you're waiting on your SSN!

Good luck!
Old Oct 20th 2005, 11:50 am
Just Joined

Thanks for the feedback so far all.

Unfortunately I failed my test in the UK recently and the waiting list where i am (Belfast) is upwards of 3 months. With me heading in the near future getting the test in the UK is probably not an option as it will be after Christmas before I can even get a date.

My passport came back this morning with the visa issued and it is indeed for 1 yr. In looking at it is seems that it is "In lieu of H1B". I am not entirely sure what this means. From what I have read it allows a certain type of employment but does not mean you are a US worker. Again I am not 100% of the difference this makes...

Just wondering if this makes a difference to anything, i.e. SSN or getting the Drivers Licence.

Thanks,

Ravenhill.
Old Oct 20th 2005, 12:18 pm
Arrogant ****

Well you've just taught me something new. Apparently a "B1 in lieu of H1B " is an official visa type, albeit a rare one!

It's worth noting the warning at the end of that link. You may face some difficulties when attempting to enter the US on a "B1 in lieu of H1B" visa, and they may only allow you entry for 6 months even if you need to be in the country for a year for your job.

What I also read into that description is that you still won't be eligible for a SSN. If the BCIS "don't officially recognize" the visa class, then it's still just a B1 visitor's visa to them.

This doesn't get you any further on sorting out your drivers license problem, but it clarifies your status in my mind at least!

Oh, and do warn me if you're ever going to be driving in my area - all we need on Dallas roads is someone who failed their UK drivers license and is now driving on the wrong side of the road!

Thanks for the feedback so far all.

Unfortunately I failed my test in the UK recently and the waiting list where i am (Belfast) is upwards of 3 months. With me heading in the near future getting the test in the UK is probably not an option as it will be after Christmas before I can even get a date.

My passport came back this morning with the visa issued and it is indeed for 1 yr. In looking at it is seems that it is "In lieu of H1B". I am not entirely sure what this means. From what I have read it allows a certain type of employment but does not mean you are a US worker. Again I am not 100% of the difference this makes...

Just wondering if this makes a difference to anything, i.e. SSN or getting the Drivers Licence.

Thanks,

Ravenhill.
Old Oct 20th 2005, 12:32 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Agreed .. I had long forgotten about that ..very rarely used ..
The B1 in lieu of an H1B
In certain, limited circumstances the US Consulate may issue an employment - authorized B1 visa where the work to be undertaken would usually require an H1B visa. This provision is particularly applicable to situations where you may need to send a member of staff to the US for a limited period in order to undertake specific projects for you. The requirements for acquiring a B1 in lieu of H1B are:-

The work to be undertaken in the US must be H1B level – i.e. the worker must be engaged in a ‘speciality occupation’;

The worker must permanently employed (i.e. not a contractor) and paid by the employer outside the US;

The worker may receive no compensation other than expenses from a US source;

The worker must have a degree relevant to the services to be provided– there is no provision for work experience to be considered equivalent to a degree, as there is under the H1B.
The B1 in lieu of H-1 visa generally takes 1 to 2 weeks to obtain, and considerably more supporting documentation is required than for a normal B1 visa. Periods of admission and extension are the same as for the standard B1 visa (i.e. generally 6 months).

If the necessary conditions are satisfied then the applicant can apply for a visa.
Old Oct 20th 2005, 6:15 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

I had a quick look at the Texas DMV site (all States are diffeent), I can not tell for certain, but it may well be interesting.

In my State you would need to show Residency as a starter, which would be tricky on a Visitors Visa.
Old Oct 21st 2005, 10:24 am
Just Joined

Guys,

Thanks again. I actually head over on Sunday, so expect to give the DMV a try on Monday to see what they say.

I actually still have my old SSN card from back when I went to the Cape on a J1 visa. Any ideas if this makes the slightest bit of difference?? Am I right in thinking that that number stays with you for life? Am guessing it wont, but it might make the signing of the Social Security Affidavit (DL-13) interesting....

Nothing is ever straight-forward.. !!

Cheers,

Ravenhill.
Old Oct 21st 2005, 2:15 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Am I right in thinking that that number stays with you for life? Am guessing it wont, but it might make the signing of the Social Security Affidavit (DL-13) interesting....
The SSN stays with you.
Old Oct 21st 2005, 2:33 pm
Ray

Am guessing it wont, but it might make the signing of the Social Security Affidavit (DL-13) interesting....
You won't need the Affidavit if you already have a SSN..
Old Oct 23rd 2005, 4:41 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Ray
You won't need the Affidavit if you already have a SSN..
Hi Ray et al,

Sorry for being stupid, but does that mean I can and should use the SSN that I got when on the J1 when applying for the test at the DNV? Can I do this okay?

Also, just sitting in Newark at the minute waiting for my connection to Texas and the guy at immigration had a sh*t attack at me. He basically refused to give me the full yr and only gave me 6 mths which was "3 more than he would like to give me".

I am over here on a 9mth contract for an existing client of ours, but because I have travelled over her approx. 20 times in the last 4 yrs for this client, on different projects, he said he did not belive me that I needed to be here for 9 and would only give me 6..

One of the other guys came into the US on Thurs with exactly the same as me and got the full yr.
Old Oct 23rd 2005, 6:12 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

One of the other guys came into the US on Thurs with exactly the same as me and got the full yr.
That's a bit of luck...and to be honest if you do use it a lot, you are pushing your luck, as they don't normally stamp you for any longer than six months...

Anyway, yes ,you'd have to use the SSN you've got.