Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Azureus Downloading Questions

Azureus Downloading Questions

Old Nov 20th 2005, 5:36 pm
Illinois Rapscallion

Circus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Azureus Downloading Questions

I binned Azureus months ago ...its too fickle. I now use BitComet ...nice interface and also links you into the major torrent listing websites
Old Nov 20th 2005, 5:46 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by glenurse
im new to this torrent stuff, can anyone tell me how to burn stuff from torrents to a dvd
i have a mac and imovie but the avi or vob files dont go across to it
any help ?
stuff you download...well it depends on your dvd player, if it can read mpeg-4 - divx and xvid, then you don't need to convert things, just burn them...if your player can't, then you'll need to convert stuff to mpeg-1, but if youi get from uknova, it's probably in that format and just burn it...

for converting formats for a mac, wouldn't have a clue, but i'm sure google will be your friend...or search through www.tucows.com
Old Nov 20th 2005, 5:47 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.utorrent.com/ Seems like a good replacement for Azu is people don't like that...less of a resource hog...not convinced by the decentralised tracking yet, but oh well...

And the problem with bitcomment, which ain't a bad downloader, it's a bit shite updating your up/down info to the tracker, so can be a problem for private trackers that keep a close eye on your ratio...
Old Nov 21st 2005, 1:01 am
Just me!

antjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
expect it to take a few days to get because people do switch there puters off

some people turn their computers off?? - why on earth would people do that

- my poor computer is on 24/7 downloading for weeks/months on end!!

Ant
Old Nov 21st 2005, 3:01 am
Illinois Rapscallion

Circus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
http://www.utorrent.com/ Seems like a good replacement for Azu is people don't like that...less of a resource hog...not convinced by the decentralised tracking yet, but oh well...

And the problem with bitcomment, which ain't a bad downloader, it's a bit shite updating your up/down info to the tracker, so can be a problem for private trackers that keep a close eye on your ratio...
Sorry if I'm wrong but I thought the whole point of torrents was to build a ratio within the community ... we are talking a decentralized file share operation... so trust and the willingness to seed are paramount. If people only want to leech then they really should stay away .....
Old Nov 21st 2005, 3:10 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by antjen
some people turn their computers off?? - why on earth would people do that

- my poor computer is on 24/7 downloading for weeks/months on end!!
The electric bill must be huuuuge then
Old Nov 21st 2005, 3:12 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by Circus-of-Power
Sorry if I'm wrong but I thought the whole point of torrents was to build a ratio within the community ... we are talking a decentralized file share operation... so trust and the willingness to seed are paramount. If people only want to leech then they really should stay away .....
decentralised is for torrent public torrent sites like stuff you get off the mong, mininova, where you don't need to register, so it doesn't matter...and it helps spread a file better, especially with people with poor connections, like not being able to port forward many ports....you only have to worry about your ratio on private tracker sites like nova...but then switching off decentralised tracking is pretty easy, but if your talking gigs of traffic, it's not worth switching off tbh
Old Nov 21st 2005, 3:35 am
Illinois Rapscallion

True some of the private torrent sites closely monitor activity and soon identify leechers and ban their IP's ... but even sites like Torrentspy use trackers.
Torrents by nature force you to share and surely thats the way it should be .... its the nature of the game after all ...
Old Nov 21st 2005, 3:57 am
Just me!

antjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
The electric bill must be huuuuge then
nah, i turn the monitor off, and pc's dont really consume that much power, its cheaper than paying for all of the music/films/software i download

Ant
Old Nov 21st 2005, 6:18 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by Circus-of-Power
... ... but even sites like Torrentspy use trackers.
Torrents by nature force you to share and surely thats the way it should be .... its the nature of the game after all ...
yeah, but being decentralised, it doesn't matter about the tracker...be able to share more easily anyway...
Old Nov 21st 2005, 6:19 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

nah, i turn the monitor off, and pc's dont really consume that much power, its cheaper than paying for all of the music/films/software i download
Same...but even so, it's a big ding on the electric bill...I notice it because we're in a small apartment...hmmmm... *l*
Old Nov 21st 2005, 8:09 am
Just me!

Originally Posted by Bob
Same...but even so, it's a big ding on the electric bill...I notice it because we're in a small apartment...hmmmm... *l*
i dont really notice it as its always been that way!! - used to the size of the electric bill so it seems normal to me....

Ant
Old Nov 21st 2005, 4:37 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

i dont really notice it as its always been that way!! - used to the size of the electric bill so it seems normal to me....
Fantastic

Well it's the only thing that's a big hog around here, and leaving it on 24/7 for a week at least adds about 40% to the bill *l*