British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Avoid this company like the plague!! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/avoid-company-like-plague-196680/)

Poshpaws Dec 13th 2003 10:14 pm

Avoid this company like the plague!!

http://www.britishdelights.com/

Accepted my order, which I kept under $50.00 to obtain the $10.00 shipping fee. All products in stock..so they said...THEN they refunded most of it except for one item that I purchased three of, this did not amount to $7.00 in all...still had to pay the $10.00 shipping fee!

Never gave me the option of changing or canceling the order. Know what his excuse was? "At this time of year we are under pressure from customers demanding their orders for Christmas, that we do not have time to e mail to consult." Typical Brit mentality!!

Had enough time to take my money for products they did not have though. Told him that this was internal politics that should not be transparent to the customer.

So much for my Marmite Crisps and Clotted Cream then...

NC Penguin Dec 14th 2003 3:21 pm

Re: Avoid this company like the plague!!

Originally posted by Poshpaws
http://www.britishdelights.com/

Accepted my order, which I kept under $50.00 to obtain the $10.00 shipping fee. All products in stock..so they said...THEN they refunded most of it except for one item that I purchased three of, this did not amount to $7.00 in all...still had to pay the $10.00 shipping fee!

Never gave me the option of changing or canceling the order. Know what his excuse was? "At this time of year we are under pressure from customers demanding their orders for Christmas, that we do not have time to e mail to consult." Typical Brit mentality!!

Had enough time to take my money for products they did not have though. Told him that this was internal politics that should not be transparent to the customer.

So much for my Marmite Crisps and Clotted Cream then...
I want to be clear about your experience. You ordered a number of items from this company, most of which were in stock (according to what you were told)?

After this, is the next thing that happened is you received only three of one item and you were refunded the amount for the items they alleged were in stock and you still had to pay the $10.00 shipping fee? You weren't notified in advance that some or any items were not in stock?

If the above paragraph is correct, they're a crafty bunch of buggers. You definitely should have been informed that items were not in stock and you should have had the opportunity to cancel or revise your order.

If you paid by credit card, you may be able to take action by stopping payment to the company because you were mislead about the availability. Have you looked at the Terms and Conditions for ordering? Maybe the site has some sentence or other that covers them for their bad behaviours.

I almost got screwed like about a year ago by a mail order company. My order was held up for nearly 6 weeks while they were waiting for stock (at least I was informed though I had to keep phoning/emailing them to check the order status). In the end I canceled the order.

NC Penguin

Poshpaws Dec 14th 2003 4:08 pm

I paid via Paypal...which they put on one's credit card. Maybe I should contact Visa, hey?

You are excactly right in your understanding of the situation. They accepted my order saying eveything was in stock. Things they did not have in stock had a notation by the side.

I have sent them a few e mails, with little luck. Seeing as they are on the other side of the country from me, I doubt if they give a toss.

Just want fellow Brit's not to use their site for anything!

BTW: Thanks LilTraveler for the e mail about the place in Utah..I'll check it out..

PrincessofWales Dec 15th 2003 3:05 pm

while you are at it you may want to steer clear of Pay Pal. See here: http://www.paypalwarning.com/

NC Penguin Dec 15th 2003 3:26 pm

Originally posted by PrincessofWales
while you are at it you may want to steer clear of Pay Pal. See here: http://www.paypalwarning.com/
Have you personally had any problems with PayPal?

NC Penguin

Manc Dec 15th 2003 3:35 pm

2 out of the 3 complaints on the paypal warning website were as follows

1 was from EBAY
1 was from hackers imitating PAYPAL.

only 1 complaint was about paypal freezing bank accounts of merchants.

another small complaint was that PAYPAL was not FDIC insured.
Paypal money market account is exactly that, a money market account which cannot be FDIC insured.

PrincessofWales Dec 15th 2003 4:18 pm

oh well there you go..my only experience is SPAM from PayPal telling me to validate my account details, when I do not have an account with them and do not intend giving my bank info to them in the near future.

sibsie Dec 15th 2003 4:41 pm

oh well there you go..my only experience is SPAM from PayPal telling me to validate my account details, when I do not have an account with them and do not intend giving my bank info to them in the near future.
Those are hoax emails and lead you to a page that looks just like the real thing but isn't.

I've had a problem with bogus payments from my Paypal account. They did resolve it and refund the money but I stopped using it after that.

tweakr Dec 15th 2003 5:08 pm

That's not actually spam from Paypal - that's a scam mail from a company making themselves look like PayPal trying to steal your credit card info. I don't think they ever send their members emails like that.

NC Penguin Dec 15th 2003 6:24 pm

One reason I asked is that I use PayPal to receive and make payments. Admittedly, this has only been through eBay, who also owns PayPal.

I've never had any problems with PayPal myself. Between myself and my husband (we share the same PayPal account), we must have had at least 50 transactions through PayPal, both payments and receipt.

NC Penguin

jcapulet Dec 15th 2003 7:08 pm

Originally posted by sibsie
Those are hoax emails and lead you to a page that looks just like the real thing but isn't.

I've had a problem with bogus payments from my Paypal account. They did resolve it and refund the money but I stopped using it after that.
I had a hoax e-mail from someone pretending to be my ISP...it said my account had expired because of problems with my credit card, and that I needed to update my info by clicking on some link. I thought...hm, if my account is canceled, how did I get online? Those hoaxes are terrible!!