Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Avg living expenses Southern California

Avg living expenses Southern California

Old Nov 11th 2018, 6:58 pm
Forum Regular

Mic1 has a reputation beyond reputeMic1 has a reputation beyond reputeMic1 has a reputation beyond reputeMic1 has a reputation beyond reputeMic1 has a reputation beyond reputeMic1 has a reputation beyond reputeMic1 has a reputation beyond reputeMic1 has a reputation beyond reputeMic1 has a reputation beyond reputeMic1 has a reputation beyond reputeMic1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Avg living expenses Southern California

Originally Posted by tom169
Depending on your rental contract, electricity isn't the only bill increased by a pool. Lots of upkeep, chemicals, etc.
Very true Tom, most we have seen though simply have $50-80 added for a monthly pool man/woman to come out. Obviously, it could prove better to live where's there's a communal pool, the HOA's would probably work out the same or less than if we had a private pool. I'll let the kids and wife make the call though. Thanks
Old Nov 11th 2018, 7:01 pm
Forum Regular

Mic1 has a reputation beyond reputeMic1 has a reputation beyond reputeMic1 has a reputation beyond reputeMic1 has a reputation beyond reputeMic1 has a reputation beyond reputeMic1 has a reputation beyond reputeMic1 has a reputation beyond reputeMic1 has a reputation beyond reputeMic1 has a reputation beyond reputeMic1 has a reputation beyond reputeMic1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ddsrph

With your experience I wouldn’t even consider any maintenance insurance. I don’t trust those type of polices anyway. You can fix most things that need fixing and there is a wealth of free information on utube and other diy websites. I particularly like diy-chatroom which came in very handy as I built my own house last year including all wiring, plumbing and HVAC.
Thanks DDS, just this week i had a quite look at one of these polices, there's more exclusions than inclusions so as you say, it wouldn't be much of a benefit to me i don't think.
Old Nov 11th 2018, 7:10 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Marc_ely
A pool is IMO one of the best things about living here. And there are far more things I hate :-)
If you get a pool cover you can get away with no heating it and use it for about 6 months of the year. If you have to put a gas heater on expect it to take most of the day, cost $10 in gas and then most of the heat is lost overnight.

The pool pump has to run 6hrs+ a day. In a rental it's likely to be an old fashioned full speed type that consumes 2kW. So that's 12kWh per day straight off.
Rentals usually come with a pool guy who comes once a week. He does all the chemicals etc. If you eventually buy a place of your own then a pool guy is about $80 a month. He includes chemicals and maintainence of stuff. So it's not really that big a cost. Pools deteriorate with time so have other upkeep costs too.

As a renter you usually don't take home warranty insurance. The landlord takes care of stuff that needs doing. hahahaha
Thanks Marc,

It's funny you should say that, a couple of years ago we rented a difference house, this time just up the road in Goletta. The pool was pretty old and all the cover was was an old sheet of double layer tarp with a foam sandwich inbetween. It was a very poor fit, very torn and look good for nothing. For the first few days we didn't use it and even though the water was at reasonable temperature, after a short while you did feel the cold. The landlord dropped by and told me that putting the cover of at night and leaving one while we weren't in would increase the water temp by 3-4 degrees. I looked at the cover and kind of giggled inside but did what he said. To be honest, i was shocked that it actually worked especially considering that the air temp actually lost a few degrees,
It may seem slightly extravagant to look for a pool home but it ticks a look of boxes for the wife and kids, and in California, why not.
Old Nov 11th 2018, 10:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

If you are wanting dogs to swim in it then it must be gunite/concrete pool.
Old Nov 12th 2018, 6:37 am
Forum Regular

If you are wanting dogs to swim in it then it must be gunite/concrete pool.
I think we would discourage that ! Good info though, is that because of the possibility of tearing liners ?
Old Nov 12th 2018, 9:56 am
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mic1
I think we would discourage that ! Good info though, is that because of the possibility of tearing liners ?
Yep!
Old Nov 13th 2018, 2:07 pm
Forum Regular

Yep!
Are there many pools with liners, i've not stayed in a house with one for the last 15 years.
Old Nov 13th 2018, 6:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Mic1
Are there many pools with liners, i've not stayed in a house with one for the last 15 years.
Pretty popular in NC. It's the cheapest, so go figure.
Old Nov 13th 2018, 6:07 pm
Forum Regular

Pretty popular in NC. It's the cheapest, so go figure.
Ah ha.......yes, makes sense.