Reload this Page >

Average cost of car Insuarance

Average cost of car Insuarance

Old Oct 26th 2016, 3:55 pm
Forum Regular

Amy288 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Average cost of car Insuarance

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Trucks usually have height-adjustable drivers seats.
There is also the issue of getting in and out of them lol
Old Oct 26th 2016, 4:18 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amy288
There is also the issue of getting in and out of them lol
They have steps. They're really not that bad and for a couple of years, could be quite fun

Though how practical they are will depend on where you're going to be using it but have fun checking a couple out all the same.
Old Oct 26th 2016, 4:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

If you get a truck, be prepared for friends asking you to help them move.
Old Oct 26th 2016, 5:04 pm
Forum Regular

I'm going to hire one for a month so there is no extreme pressure to find one quickly so might have a look at trucks but I defo think they may be a bit too big for me!

I did get a lift in one while I was there and we went to a drive in and I seem to recall it wasn't actually that bad
Old Oct 26th 2016, 5:12 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mrken30
If you get a truck, be prepared for friends asking you to help them move.
In 14 years of owning one, nobody has ever asked me.

And BTW the Dodge Nitro is one of the vehicles listed on the "Ten worst vehicles ever made" links that appear at the bottom of most news media reports. It was undoubtedly a piece of junk, thrown together from the parts bin by the nearly-bankrupt Chrysler Dodge to give their hapless dealers something to put on their forecourts.

I am not sure if I am more surprised that there is still one out there that hasn't succumbed to mechanical failure too expensive to repair, or that someone would admit to still owning one.

Last edited by Pulaski; Oct 26th 2016 at 5:26 pm.
Old Oct 26th 2016, 5:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

And BTW the Dodge Nitro is one of the vehicles listed on the "Ten worst vehicles ever made" links that appear at the bottom of most news media reports. It was undoubtedly a piece of junk, thrown together from the parts bin by the nearly-bankrupt Chrysler Dodge to give their hapless dealers something to put on their forecourts.

I am not sure if I am more surprised that there is still one out there that hasn't succumbed to mechanical failure to expense to repair, or that someone would admit to still owning one.
At the time it was one of the few American made cars that got a 4 or 5 star crash test rating. How safe a car influences my decision, not many people in the US car about safety from what I have experienced.

http://www.autoblog.com/buy/2010-Dod...afety-ratings/

We will probably keep it until the warranty runs out in 2099, or when I die, whichever comes first.

When I bought it car dealerships were closing down every other week.

Last edited by mrken30; Oct 26th 2016 at 5:51 pm.
Old Oct 26th 2016, 5:22 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

I belong to a local FB "for sale" group , it's for my area and not too big and lately I've noticed people selling their cars there - usually v nice cars for ok sums. People are fed up with car sales reps/ craigslist (too many time wasters) and you are basically buying from a neighbour. Maybe try looking for a similar group in your area? I'd pick a nice area though!!
Old Oct 26th 2016, 5:56 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Don't you live in a area, where everyone has one though?

I'd hate to have one if I lived downtown Boston, with parking garages and tight parking spots, or having to do long daily commute in one, but hey, got to try one out while you're here. Part of the fun in trying something you'd not do in the UK, even if you don't go and buy one.
Old Oct 26th 2016, 6:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I forgot, we have compact parking spaces at work and most trucks definitely do not fit in compact spaces.
Old Oct 28th 2016, 4:32 am
BE Enthusiast

tuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond repute

It's the same in Kentucky, 30 days after becoming "resident". It wouldn't surprise me entirely if there is an exemption for students, certainly from other US states, but given the advantages of having an in-state phote ID, and that the "test" to get any US state license os so embarrassingly easy, I can think of no good reason not to get a local license.

Some people have reported some states that will allow you to register a vehicle without you having an in-state license. I don't know if Kentucky is one of them.
Students just moved to an area to attend school are usually not considered residents. They make it sort of difficult in fact otherwise they would all be claiming in-state tuition.
This is why there is so much outrage over the issue of illegal aliens receiving in-state tuition at CA schools.
Old Oct 28th 2016, 4:38 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tuxedocat
Students just moved to an area to attend school are usually not considered residents. They make it sort of difficult in fact otherwise they would all be claiming in-state tuition.
This is why there is so much outrage over the issue of illegal aliens receiving in-state tuition at CA schools.
I partially agree, but that theory seems to be prediated on the student being a resident in another US state, and arriving as a student from overseas and not having a US license is going to make them an anomaly. So while I agree that a student generally doesn't become resident when going to college in a different state from the one where they hold their license, I would strongly recommend getting a local license because trying to survive without one is going to make life unnecessarily complicated. .... For starters with car insurance.
Old Oct 28th 2016, 4:40 am

Originally Posted by Bob
Don't you live in a area, where everyone has one though? .....
Yes, they're very common, and most houses on the road where I live have one, and one of our neighbours have two!
Old Oct 28th 2016, 5:44 am
Forum Regular

I am going to go car shopping armed with this thread and two male friends to translate for me (both in car terms and because even they after years still don't seem to understand my accent! Even ordering McDonald's is somehow difficult for me in Kentucky!)

I agree tho about doing things I wouldn't do at home while I'm there, this is 100% just a two year move for me, so I want to make the most of every different experience even if it means learning to park and get in a bigger car lol
Old Oct 28th 2016, 8:40 pm
Just Joined

BrownBandit is an unknown quantity at this point

I went through a broker for insurance, and with my CO license and driving history from insurance in the UK, I got $170 a month on a new Escape.

My broker did mention though that once I have 6 months of clean driving behind me here, it may be something they can reduce for me though, but I have 2 months to go before I will find out.

If it matters my insurance is with Progressive though.
Old Oct 28th 2016, 9:08 pm
Forum Regular

I've had some quotes with state farm that have been quite good around the 150-175 mark, as high as that is I was prepared for 200 so I'm happy with that will defo try progressive as well tho, thanks for that.

Just an update on the drivers test etc tho, I spoke to the county clerk in Kentucky today and found out that I don't class as a resident on an f1 and as such I don't have to pay the 6% and can drive on a U.K. License for 12 months. So that's some interesting news

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.