Reload this Page >

Average cost of car Insuarance

Average cost of car Insuarance

Old Oct 24th 2016, 5:32 pm
Forum Regular

Amy288 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Average cost of car Insuarance

Originally Posted by MidAtlantic
6% of what? As Pulaski points out it may not be of the sum you pay for the vehicle.
I'm starting to get slightly confused myself now,

"A six percent (6%) motor vehicle usage tax is levied upon the "retail price" of vehicles transferred in Kentucky. On used vehicles, the usage tax is 6% of the current average retail as listed in the NADA Used Car Guide or 6% of total consideration paid. On used vehicles, total consideration paid is the total given less any trade-in allowance, if applicable. Trade- in allowance applies to used vehicles only and the vehicle being traded must be previously registered in Kentucky."

I'm unsure which off the two it would come under?
Old Oct 24th 2016, 5:36 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by mrken30
If Kentucky works like WA, it's a one off payment when you get the car. It's a sales/use tax. Some States or municipalities have other fees such as emissions (DEQ) etc.
if I've read it correctly I believe there is the one off payments at the start then $21 a year which isn't too bad
Old Oct 24th 2016, 5:41 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amy288
I'm starting to get slightly confused myself now,

"A six percent (6%) motor vehicle usage tax is levied upon the "retail price" of vehicles transferred in Kentucky. On used vehicles, the usage tax is 6% of the current average retail as listed in the NADA Used Car Guide or 6% of total consideration paid. On used vehicles, total consideration paid is the total given less any trade-in allowance, if applicable. Trade- in allowance applies to used vehicles only and the vehicle being traded must be previously registered in Kentucky."

I'm unsure which off the two it would come under?
This "On used vehicles, the usage tax is 6% of the current average retail as listed in the NADA Used Car Guide ....." is what I was talking about - this figure might be significantly different from what you actually paid for a vehicle.
Old Oct 24th 2016, 5:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

tuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond repute

Unless you live in a big city forget using public transport to get things accomplished. It's great for older men looking to kill time after lunch.

Will you be living on or near campus? A taxi may work for grocery shopping once a week. Do you know if there is Walmart close by?
Old Oct 24th 2016, 6:48 pm
i hate cabbage

Jack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond repute

I moved from UK to Fort Worth in Texas early this year, i pay $190 a month for insurance on a brand new VW Golf.

That is the cheapest i could find. Sticking it out for the first year and hoping it'll come down a bit next

None of the companies i spoke to were interested that i'd driven in the UK for 12 years and had a 12 years no claims.

I basically had to start over again with my 'new' driving license
Old Oct 24th 2016, 7:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jack8602
I moved from UK to Fort Worth in Texas early this year, i pay $190 a month for insurance on a brand new VW Golf.

That is the cheapest i could find. Sticking it out for the first year and hoping it'll come down a bit next

None of the companies i spoke to were interested that i'd driven in the UK for 12 years and had a 12 years no claims.

I basically had to start over again with my 'new' driving license
That's the toughest part, none of the online companies would accept my driving history. I ended up going through a broker. the insurance company just asked for years of driving experience in addition to when did I obtain my US driving license.
Old Oct 24th 2016, 7:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

This may be a useful site to read as I see you are a student.

Auto Insurance For International Students In The United States
Old Oct 24th 2016, 8:09 pm
Forum Regular

cautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jack8602
... None of the companies i spoke to were interested that i'd driven in the UK for 12 years and had a 12 years no claims. ...
... none of the online companies would accept my driving history. I ended up going through a broker. the insurance company just asked for years of driving experience in addition to when did I obtain my US driving license.
I got quotes from two of the ten biggest auto insurance companies in the USA, Progressive and Geico, and they both gave me quotes that took my UK driving experience into consideration. AAA did too, and it is a much smaller insurer. I insured my (brand new) car with Progressive for the first 18 months, and I now insure with Geico.
Old Oct 24th 2016, 8:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

TheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond repute

For $5k, may I suggest a Crown Vic? They can be had for absolute peanuts and are ultra reliable and cheap to maintain. They're like an absolute boat too and civilian ones can be had with some nice options. Ex Interceptors are where the cheap money is and they're battle hardened (literally..) to survive all kinds of abuse and keep going.

As for insurance? God knows, I have a permanent rental, so what do I know..
Old Oct 24th 2016, 8:58 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TheKingOfHearts
For $5k, may I suggest a Crown Vic? They can be had for absolute peanuts and are ultra reliable and cheap to maintain. They're like an absolute boat too and civilian ones can be had with some nice options. ....
So the $200/mth I had suggested for repairs, the OP can spend on gas instead!
Old Oct 24th 2016, 9:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

TheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
So the $200/mth I had suggested for repairs, the OP can spend on gas instead!
Meh, you'll still get around 16. From a 4.6 V8

My 2016 Charger 3.6 V6 only manages 23, although in fairness I do hammer it.
Old Oct 24th 2016, 9:46 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
In NC the use tax on cars is assessed on the deemed value, based on make, model and age, and has absolutely nothing to do with price or market value, or even the condition of the car. Our 2003 Accord, which is in pretty nice shape, for a 13 year old car, but I would say is a roughly $5,000 car at market value, has a use tax of about $30 pa. ..... It might be the same in Kentucky.
Down our way, it's what ever they want to stick it to you with. Reality is, it's $25 per $1K value they put on the car, which is the mint condition blue book value and they tax leases too.

Anyway, for insurance, definitely don't get a speeding ticket...or an accident as premiums will go up. The missus was talking about it as one of her tellers, 21 years old, is paying $7K a year on insurance on a PoS for a car and that's pretty low level of cover because she has two speeding tickets on her record and someone, her boyfriend put her name down when he bought a brand new BMW...which a few months later he wrote off by smashing into someone else's very nice car.

Then again, accident surcharges are pretty hefty in MA.
Old Oct 24th 2016, 9:48 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

If Kentucky works like WA, it's a one off payment when you get the car. It's a sales/use tax. Some States or municipalities have other fees such as emissions (DEQ) etc.
A lot of states have a property or excise tax on vehicles that are annual cost you pay to either your town or your state.
Old Oct 24th 2016, 10:17 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks everyone, my friend sent me about 13 adverts for Cars and they were all toyotas, is there something about them I should know lol.

I'm going to get some firm cost for a long term rental tomorrow and just see if I can make the finances work, even if it's a bit more expensive at least I'm not responible for maintaining a cheap car!

I have 8 years no claims here and never had an accident or speeding ticket so fingers crossed that continues over there, I have been reading that can that whack your insurance up a huge amount! It's a shame that doesn't transfer across with every company.
Old Oct 25th 2016, 12:22 am
BE Forum Addict

zzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amy288
From what i've read getting a Kentucky license would bring it down slightly and I know I will have to after 12 months but didn't want to add a driving test to the list of things to get done straight away!
No doubt someone will correct me if I'm wrong but how will you register your 'new' vehicle without a valid State driving licence?
I'm surprised that Kentucky allows 12 months driving on a UK licence, or is this some kind of student exemption, I seem to recall that Florida requires incomers to update their licences within 30 days or some similar length of time?

I don't know how much regulation happens in Kentucky but Floridians idea of servicing their older vehicles is to fix the specific bit that falls off.* Try to have a knowledgeable grease monkey inspect the car with you to make sure that you aren't buying a death trap.

*Only applies if the bit that parted company seriously affects forward motion!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.