Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

The automatic transmission/obesity connection

The automatic transmission/obesity connection

Old Oct 24th 2005, 10:19 pm

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The automatic transmission/obesity connection

Originally Posted by rushman
What book should they throw at her Gruff?
Nothing from Sesame Street or she might try to read it to the toddler............
Old Oct 24th 2005, 10:26 pm
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice

Originally Posted by gruffbrown
Encyclopedia Brittanica, they always keep one in the trunk. Why I don't know
I was thinking on the lines of the book of french war heroes
Old Oct 24th 2005, 10:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

kevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond repute

Yep, I now detest manual transmission after 12 years in the good ol' US of A. I already mentioned it in the recent hire car thread. Thats one "lifestyle" choice where I'm a complete convert - to the point of hiring an automatic when I go back to the UK.

I have a 50 mile commute each day (100 miles return) and bay area traffic can be pretty bad at the best of times. No way I want all that "depress clutch, change gear, release clutch" stuff in heavy traffic. It very quickly becomes tiresome.

One thing I don't like is the use of foot-controlled parking brakes in many vehicles over here. I've driven on some of the steep hills in S.F. with such a vehicle and its not nice. Give me a traditional handbrake any day! And anyone notice many Americans don't even use the foot/handbrake at all when they park? I suppose they let the "park" function of the auto tranny take care of that little detail.
Old Oct 24th 2005, 10:27 pm
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice

Is that the choo choo train or the rocket ship that goes up and down?

I'm no Casey Jones or Flash gordon mate. Its a nice little Kenworth
Old Oct 24th 2005, 10:29 pm

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kevntrace
And anyone notice many Americans don't even use the foot/handbrake at all when they park? I suppose they let the "park" function of the auto tranny take care of that little detail.
Ummm errr yes, hands up to that one
Old Oct 24th 2005, 10:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by psb182
manual transmissions don't put fat into your body....and it don't give you much excersize
Its amazing that, isn't it?
Old Oct 24th 2005, 10:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

I think it's probably a number of hands thing, you can't change gear, talk on your cell phone and drink coffee at the same time, so one of them has to go
Surely you've heard of multi-tasking?
Old Oct 24th 2005, 10:31 pm

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
Surely you've heard of multi-tasking?
Don't be f**king stupid, I'm a bloke
Old Oct 24th 2005, 10:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Don't be f**king stupid, I'm a bloke
Oooh sorry, forgot.
Old Oct 24th 2005, 10:33 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by kevntrace
And anyone notice many Americans don't even use the foot/handbrake at all when they park? I suppose they let the "park" function of the auto tranny take care of that little detail.
Up here they call it the "emergency brake". The LAST thing I would do in an emergency would be yanking the "Emergency" (hand brake) on.FFs

Thats asking for trouble!!

Lock the back wheels up, swap ends on the interstate aint my idea of a pleasant little jaunt in the country.
Old Oct 24th 2005, 10:36 pm

Oooh sorry, forgot.
Anyway, I'm off to make dinner, so I'll have to sign off, as typing and watching the oven is overwhelming for me
Old Oct 24th 2005, 10:36 pm

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

I hope you're at a table and not driving Yorkie
why not? laptop fits nicely on top of the dashboard - bit like those HUD things the fighter pilots use....'cept I can't see thru it....darn!!
Old Oct 25th 2005, 12:10 am
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rushman
I was thinking on the lines of the book of french war heroes
When I was a kid it was always the Italians who were the world's cowards, and the joke was that the book of Italian war heroes was one of the smallest books in the world. hmmm.

Back on topic (sort of): along with driving a manual, another skill that many Americans have never mastered (because they've never needed to) is the whole parallel parking thing.
Old Oct 25th 2005, 12:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by elfman
: along with driving a manual, another skill that many Americans have never mastered (because they've never needed to) is the whole parallel parking thing.
It was on my first driving test and no it wasn't in the dark ages.
Old Oct 25th 2005, 12:19 am

It was on my first driving test and no it wasn't in the dark ages.
The wheel had been invented though, right?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.