British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Automatic or Manual (Stick Shift) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/automatic-manual-stick-shift-435724/)

ScousePete Mar 19th 2007 1:53 pm

Automatic or Manual (Stick Shift)

I know this has been covered in the past, but I find the longer I stay in The States the more my opinions change (read: become more American!)

When I first got here (11 years ago) I was a firm believer in manual transmission cars. I only drove manuals in the UK, liked more control over the vehicle and actively looked for the gear shift when buying a car.

Then about four years ago, when we were looking to replace my wife's car, the model we settled on only came in automatic. We were hesitant, but decided to give it a go - and it did have the "sportstronics" automatic gearshift, if we ever felt the need to shift.

Slowly I got used to the automatic transmission, especially when stuck in traffic. Eventually I preferred to drive the automatic car over the manual car. Then when it was time to buy a new car for me - I bought an automatic car too!

So, what do you drive? Automatic, manual or both?

Duncan Roberts Mar 19th 2007 2:15 pm

Re: Automatic or Manual (Stick Shift)

I hate it when I have to drive an automatic. I never feel fully in control, they never do what I want and they're no fun to drive. I don't also prefer my manual in traffic.

britvic Mar 19th 2007 2:22 pm

Originally Posted by Duncan Roberts (Post 4534120)
I hate it when I have to drive an automatic. I never feel fully in control, they never do what I want and they're no fun to drive.

Agree very much with that statement. Automatic over here, but not much choice otherwise:rolleyes: Will be happy enough to go back to a gear on our return.

TouristTrap Mar 19th 2007 2:32 pm

Automatic all the way. I drove my friend's stick the other day and lo and behold, got stuck in peak hour traffic on the freeway - remembered why I preferred my automatic.........:blink:

neil Mar 19th 2007 2:33 pm

Originally Posted by Duncan Roberts (Post 4534120)
I hate it when I have to drive an automatic. I never feel fully in control, they never do what I want and they're no fun to drive. I don't also prefer my manual in traffic.

I'm with you on not really enjoying driving automatic for exactly the same reasons. I do prefer the manual in traffic too just because there is more control. I feel like I'm constantly on the brake in traffic in an automatic and it's much easier to coast along in manual. I actually noticed last time I was in rush hour traffic in the UK that things seemed to be much smoother because there was much less stop/start - maybe because everyone's in manual.

I do have both but only because my wife is too scared to drive manual (she's done it but never dared get faster than second gear in a car park). I made sure the one we have has the semi-automatic option which I often use when pulling away from lights and if I need the extra power. One day I got bored so I drove home from work using the "manual" option - just not the same though.

Rete Mar 19th 2007 3:04 pm

I had a standard on my Subaru years back. Loved driving that sporty little thing on the highway. Daughter has a standard Toyota. Hubby (9 years already in the US) has owned and will only drive standards. In fact today he is picking up his 2007 Isuzu truck ... 5 speed manual. My present car is an automatic Sonata and my previous car was an automatic Elantra.

Jerseygirl Mar 19th 2007 3:06 pm

I have had automatics in the UK since the early 80's...wouldn't drive anything thing else by choice.

Titchski Mar 19th 2007 3:47 pm

Automatics here, the gear changing would kill my missus' back

Maz Mar 19th 2007 3:59 pm

Hubby recently went from a manual to an automatic, and he was born and raised here. He grew up learning both. I never drove an automatic until I came here.

Last November I rather stupidly wrote my lovely 2-door manual off (d'oh! :curse: ) and we decided on an automatic as a replacement. Two reasons for this:
1. Out of the 84 cars I looked at online in my immediate area that matched my criteria, only 4 were manual
2. Resale opportunities! We might move soon, so I'll need to be able to sell it easily to someone else.

jumping doris Mar 19th 2007 4:02 pm

Manual. It's the only way my legs get any exercise.

Maz Mar 19th 2007 4:04 pm

Originally Posted by jumping doris (Post 4534453)
Manual. It's the only way my legs get any exercise.

:lol: Yeah but if you ever break your left leg, you're screwed. ;)

Actually all manuals beat automatics by about 2 mpg on petrol usage. Scary!

jumping doris Mar 19th 2007 4:08 pm

Originally Posted by Maz (Post 4534459)
:lol: Yeah but if you ever break your left leg, you're screwed. ;)

Actually all manuals beat automatics by about 2 mpg on petrol usage. Scary!

No, I'll borrow the OH's automatic:)
I just love driving and when I drive his car it's a bit like being in a Disney car where you don't have to do very much. It's very hilly where we are and I like to be able to change gear when I want to.

gsnichol Mar 19th 2007 4:21 pm

Manual. I don't like the way automatics can't decide which gear to use when going up and down inclines. If I'm driving a car I'd like to have control over the gears.

Slightly related - my car has a 'helpful' yellow up arrow on the dashboard in between the left/right indicators, which flashes to indicate when I should change gears (I don't know why - if you don't know when to change gears then you should be in an automatic). I find this really irritating since a) I know when to change gear, thank you, and b) it's never right anyway since the car can't see the road conditions. When my car is next serviced I am going to ask that the lamp be removed...

krizzy Mar 19th 2007 4:22 pm

We have both in our house...I've got lazy..hated the automatic to start with...but love it now...my son is the only one that now drives a stick...

Bob Mar 19th 2007 4:45 pm

only got the one motor, it's an auto....much rather it weren't, but oh well.