Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Automated system means U.S Citizens now clear customs at Ohare in 5 minutes.

Automated system means U.S Citizens now clear customs at Ohare in 5 minutes.

Old Aug 19th 2013, 10:56 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Automated system means U.S Citizens now clear customs at Ohare in 5 minutes.

Originally Posted by Brit3964
I did just that in April last year. Went in through Gatwick on my US passport (just the usual questions asked) then renewed UK passport while there, same day in London for 135 UKP, the equivalent of $211 at the time which was slightly cheaper than doing it from here. No problems at all.
I never thought of just doing it that way ...
Old Aug 20th 2013, 5:05 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Automated system means U.S Citizens now clear customs at Ohare in 5 minutes.

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
I have reentered at O'Hare as a permanent resident, along with my American wife. They do ask questions in that line also, or at least they did at O'Hare. Maybe not as many as they do visitors but if I think of it, I think I cleared immigration just as quickly as a visitor the first time in than I did coming back from Toronto as a resident.

I can certainly see if maybe four or five busy international flights arrive at once (that could be anything up to 1,000 people getting off the planes at the same time) how one might have a long wait, even in the returning citizens line.

O'Hare sort of sucks in general though, it always seems really disorganised there when I go. I much prefer Mitchell (Milwaukee) but they only do domestic flights and minimal international, Canada and Mexico mostly.
O'hare sucks, and it really sucks to work there. I spent 10 horrible months there working, and our flight would land, call us they were on the ground, and 40 minutes later show up at the gate, and when your turn time is only scheduled for 55 minutes, well then constant delays on departing flights.

Horrible horrible airport, I refuse to use..
Old Aug 20th 2013, 9:24 am
BE Forum Addict

Brit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond repute

I never thought of just doing it that way ...
If you're gonna be there anyway you might as well take advantage of it.
Old Aug 20th 2013, 9:52 am
Forum Regular

ols-london is a jewel in the roughols-london is a jewel in the roughols-london is a jewel in the roughols-london is a jewel in the rough

Last time I went to Dallas from the UK my USC friend breezed through in about 15 minutes. There were about 40 americans on our flight and they had about 15 officers working the gates.

The everywhere else line had 5 officers. I stood in line for 2 and a quarter hours.

My friend rang me had time to travel home in a taxi pick up some beer and his car to pick me up by the time I had my bags!

Thats my worst experience and I've had secondary screening at Dallas / Fort Worth.
Old Aug 20th 2013, 10:43 am
Hoppity hop...

BunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ols-london
Last time I went to Dallas from the UK my USC friend breezed through in about 15 minutes. There were about 40 americans on our flight and they had about 15 officers working the gates.

The everywhere else line had 5 officers. I stood in line for 2 and a quarter hours.

My friend rang me had time to travel home in a taxi pick up some beer and his car to pick me up by the time I had my bags!

Thats my worst experience and I've had secondary screening at Dallas / Fort Worth.
Wow, that's awful, I've never had to wait more than an hour at DFW and that's long enough. It'll be our POE when we move too so know we'll have a bit of a wait to get through secondary etc.
Old Aug 20th 2013, 10:57 am
Forum Regular

ols-london is a jewel in the roughols-london is a jewel in the roughols-london is a jewel in the roughols-london is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by BunnyGirl
Wow, that's awful, I've never had to wait more than an hour at DFW and that's long enough. It'll be our POE when we move too so know we'll have a bit of a wait to get through secondary etc.
I've been several times as I was lucky enough to go on a music exchange with school 9 years ago. I love that part of the world.

Most times it has been painful. First time I travelled along I got secondary screening and even with that it only took 35 minutes. Luckily I stay with friends in Southlake so not far at all.

Where abouts are you moving?
Old Aug 20th 2013, 1:11 pm
Hoppity hop...

BunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ols-london
I've been several times as I was lucky enough to go on a music exchange with school 9 years ago. I love that part of the world.

Most times it has been painful. First time I travelled along I got secondary screening and even with that it only took 35 minutes. Luckily I stay with friends in Southlake so not far at all.

Where abouts are you moving?
Hopefully Fort Worth but there's a chance my fiance's company may be relocating to north Dallas (Carrollton) so we may end up there instead!
Old Aug 20th 2013, 1:31 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
O'hare sucks, and it really sucks to work there. I spent 10 horrible months there working, and our flight would land, call us they were on the ground, and 40 minutes later show up at the gate, and when your turn time is only scheduled for 55 minutes, well then constant delays on departing flights.

Horrible horrible airport, I refuse to use..
Unfortunately for us, if we want to fly across the pond and avoid adding in a domestic connection, O'Hare is our local airport. I just expect a delay when I get there, so I'm not disappointed ...

MKE is a much more pleasant experience, I flew into Canada from there, the whole day seemed far more relaxed than it would have been at O'Hare.
Old Aug 20th 2013, 1:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

We went through pre-clearance yesterday in Dublin (went through airport security twice.) Our connecting flight was in Chicago through O'Hare. They really need to get their act together! You arrive in terminal 5 and then have to take the transport to your next flight, and of course you have to go through security again! We went through security three times yesterday! I would have really blown a gasket if we hadn't went through immigration in Dublin and had to wait 2 hours in Chicago! Cross that airport off my list of ones I'll go through again!
Old Aug 20th 2013, 2:21 pm
I have a comma problem

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
We went through pre-clearance yesterday in Dublin (went through airport security twice.) Our connecting flight was in Chicago through O'Hare. They really need to get their act together! You arrive in terminal 5 and then have to take the transport to your next flight, and of course you have to go through security again! We went through security three times yesterday! I would have really blown a gasket if we hadn't went through immigration in Dublin and had to wait 2 hours in Chicago! Cross that airport off my list of ones I'll go through again!
Doing the Dublin route does sort of limit your options as far as airlines and airports to fly through. That pretty much leaves you with New York but they may be better than O'Hare to fly through. Actually, I'd wager Baghdad airport at the height of the Gulf War was a better experience than O'Hare.
Old Aug 20th 2013, 2:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Doing the Dublin route does sort of limit your options as far as airlines and airports to fly through. That pretty much leaves you with New York but they may be better than O'Hare to fly through. Actually, I'd wager Baghdad airport at the height of the Gulf War was a better experience than O'Hare.
We flew Aer Lingus and they have routes all over North America. They've just started a route to Toronto and to San Francisco. Not that I'm a huge Aer Lingus fan or anything, but they make getting from Point A to Point B easy enough. However, they use United when you book with them and they have to get you to Point A before you can get to Point B. United is (in my opinion) a pretty bad option. We got on a United flight in Chicago yesterday (pretty warm and toasty there) that had very limited air conditioning and the whole plane smelled like a toilet! I dubbed it the Flying Turd! Only when we finally took off and were up in the air a bit did the smell go away and it got cooler. The whole travel experience coming back home is hard anyway... I'm beginning to think I need to start saving up for Business Class for our next trip.
Old Aug 20th 2013, 2:38 pm
I have a comma problem

We flew Aer Lingus and they have routes all over North America. They've just started a route to Toronto and to San Francisco. Not that I'm a huge Aer Lingus fan or anything, but they make getting from Point A to Point B easy enough. However, they use United when you book with them and they have to get you to Point A before you can get to Point B. United is (in my opinion) a pretty bad option. We got on a United flight in Chicago yesterday (pretty warm and toasty there) that had very limited air conditioning and the whole plane smelled like a toilet! I dubbed it the Flying Turd! Only when we finally took off and were up in the air a bit did the smell go away and it got cooler. The whole travel experience coming back home is hard anyway... I'm beginning to think I need to start saving up for Business Class for our next trip.
My mum flies with them when she visits, she seems to like them. She actually flew business class on her last trip this year - I think she'd probably recommend it.

I hadn't realised that they'd added the SFO route, I know they had previously removed one from LAX.

It was pretty warm here yesterday. Warmer today and warmer still tomorrow. You got in/out on the right day
Old Aug 20th 2013, 2:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

My mum flies with them when she visits, she seems to like them. She actually flew business class on her last trip this year - I think she'd probably recommend it.

I hadn't realised that they'd added the SFO route, I know they had previously removed one from LAX.

It was pretty warm here yesterday. Warmer today and warmer still tomorrow. You got in/out on the right day
At least something went right!

We got to spend a couple of days in Dublin this time. Lots of walking and of course the usual touristy stuff, but quite interesting as well. We didn't stay in Dublin though, because that would have been way too easy.
Old Aug 20th 2013, 3:05 pm
I have a comma problem

At least something went right!

We got to spend a couple of days in Dublin this time. Lots of walking and of course the usual touristy stuff, but quite interesting as well. We didn't stay in Dublin though, because that would have been way too easy.
Imagine making a holiday 'easy' - who'd do that, eh?
Old Aug 20th 2013, 3:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lbjen
MKE is a million times better than ORD, I have to agree.
People will always prefer airports that can better handle passenger traffic. But O'Hare handles a lot more passengers than Milwaukee. Having said that, O'Hare does not seem to be as well run as it could be.

Charlotte is my favorite US airport. It is the 8th busiest but still in the top 5 for on-time departures. Making connections there is also very easy.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/travel...rough/2416633/

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.