Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Automated Phone System Hell

Automated Phone System Hell

Old Aug 18th 2004, 3:56 pm
C.G.D.S

sibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Automated Phone System Hell

So back in March we buy a new HDTV. It's got a blimp in the middle of the screen so needs fixing.

I call up the 1-800 number yesterday and after two hours, yes two hours on hold I finally give up. I get back on to it today and after navigating the weird directions and voice prompts am back on hold. I'm now coming into my second hour.

I hate hate hate automated phone systems. They are the singular most annoying thing in the US.

I feel better for having got that off my chest.
Old Aug 18th 2004, 4:01 pm
Forum Regular

Chessiet has much to be proud ofChessiet has much to be proud ofChessiet has much to be proud ofChessiet has much to be proud ofChessiet has much to be proud ofChessiet has much to be proud ofChessiet has much to be proud ofChessiet has much to be proud ofChessiet has much to be proud ofChessiet has much to be proud ofChessiet has much to be proud of
Default Re: Automated Phone System Hell

Originally Posted by sibsie
So back in March we buy a new HDTV. It's got a blimp in the middle of the screen so needs fixing.

I call up the 1-800 number yesterday and after two hours, yes two hours on hold I finally give up. I get back on to it today and after navigating the weird directions and voice prompts am back on hold. I'm now coming into my second hour.

I hate hate hate automated phone systems. They are the singular most annoying thing in the US.

Have you tried contacting the store where you purchased it, rather than the manufacturer's 1-800 number? Some stores will have a limited replacement warranty, or an exchange agreement.
Old Aug 18th 2004, 4:07 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Two hours on hold?! You've got more patience than me, I've usually slammed the phone down before 5 minutes is up.

One thing I have done is look up a real phone number (not 800) for the company and find a live body to speak to. You have to pay for the call, but on the other hand you don't have to buy blood pressure medication.
Old Aug 18th 2004, 4:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Two hours on hold?? Yikes! I'm almost afraid to ask what company you were calling. We bought an HDTV a couple of months ago, and we bought a stupid breakdown policy with it. We haven't had to use it, but I think if we did we'd have to same problem.
Old Aug 18th 2004, 4:10 pm
C.G.D.S

sibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond repute

It's a Philips that we got from Best Buy. Best Buy told us to call Philips direct so that's where I am now.

Cheers for the tip about looking up the number direct. I'll give it a go.
Old Aug 18th 2004, 4:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

It's a Philips that we got from Best Buy. Best Buy told us to call Philips direct so that's where I am now.

Yes we bought from Best Buy as well, we didn't buy a Philips though. Good luck on getting through though.
Old Aug 18th 2004, 4:35 pm
You Are All Diseased

rincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond repute

You can e-mail them at [email protected] and detail the problem. This may save you time in waiting on the phone.

They also have a Fax number: 1-865-521-4468

Good luck.
Old Aug 18th 2004, 7:04 pm
dealing with it

Chopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really nice

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
Yes we bought from Best Buy as well, we didn't buy a Philips though. Good luck on getting through though.
This worked for me with Best Buy automated 'hold' lines...

as soon as you get the options...hit 2 then *5573

it's someones extension (I think she said her name was Amanda or Mandy) anyway, she was very nice and told me that she could put me straight through so I wouldn't have to hold any longer (I lied, I told her I'd been waiting for 15 minutes and then it had automatically diverted me through to her and I didn't know why)

anyway, she loves British accents and her Mother has friends 'somewhere near London'

(If you're reading this Amanda, thanks, you were great)
Old Aug 18th 2004, 8:46 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

I bought my first and last thingie from Best Buy. Service sucks unless you stick it to.. I mean stick *with* them. Finally *did* get my $400+ back.

But.

Can always try the store again and don't waffle. Say you want to speak to the Store Director. A recent purchase should be handled at the STORE level and they know it. If he (it's always a he) gives you a hard time, ask for the contact info for the District Manager (altho you can get this from the website, too). Try try try to deal at the store level; they have a lot of lattitude to keep you happy.

I also had luck with Chris' suggestion. They have a higher level Cust Svc Department where actual thinking humans work.

(love my flat panel tv...we didn't opt for the HD.. did we miss the boat or make an educated buy: )
Old Aug 18th 2004, 8:51 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chopper-Chris

it's someones extension (I think she said her name was Amanda or Mandy) anyway, she was very nice and told me that she could put me straight through so I wouldn't have to hold any longer (I lied, I told her I'd been waiting for 15 minutes and then it had automatically diverted me through to her and I didn't know why)

anyway, she loves British accents and her Mother has friends 'somewhere near London'

(If you're reading this Amanda, thanks, you were great)
You don't think she's going to get suspicious when 50 dissatisfied ex-pats call her up?

Who's Amanda, and what was she great at? Oh never mind, none of my business. (Sorry, worked it out. Slow day.)

Last edited by Lion in Winter; Aug 18th 2004 at 11:46 pm.
Old Aug 18th 2004, 9:48 pm
C.G.D.S

Originally Posted by Chopper-Chris

Arse cakes. I tried that but ended up in the Satellite Department.

I actually fell asleep on the sofa for well over an hour with the phone on. When I woke up the annoying music was still playing. I think I'll have to hand this one over to my hubby as I'm liable to lose it with them.
Old Aug 19th 2004, 12:44 pm
dealing with it

Chopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really nice

Arse cakes. I tried that but ended up in the Satellite Department.

I actually fell asleep on the sofa for well over an hour with the phone on. When I woke up the annoying music was still playing. I think I'll have to hand this one over to my hubby as I'm liable to lose it with them.

sorry, did I forget to say...the extension I plugged in was completely random, I don't know what department it actually was, but this Amanda lady could put me through to the right department when I told her what my problem was.

Good Luck...

but my best advice is not to go back to Best Buy, I've vowed off them forever.
Old Aug 19th 2004, 2:34 pm
ElsieTheMaid

I feel your pain Sibsie!! What I hate is when it says "to speak to a live operator, press 0", then when you do, you get a whole other list of options to chose from.

Karma coming your way!

Old Aug 19th 2004, 4:06 pm
Gone but not forgotten. RIP

TRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond repute

I believe that Philips in the USA equals Magnavox.