British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Automated Phone System Hell (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/automated-phone-system-hell-249537/)

sibsie Aug 18th 2004 3:56 pm

Automated Phone System Hell

So back in March we buy a new HDTV. It's got a blimp in the middle of the screen so needs fixing.

I call up the 1-800 number yesterday and after two hours, yes two hours on hold I finally give up. I get back on to it today and after navigating the weird directions and voice prompts am back on hold. I'm now coming into my second hour.

I hate hate hate automated phone systems. They are the singular most annoying thing in the US. :mad:

I feel better for having got that off my chest.

Chessiet Aug 18th 2004 4:01 pm

Re: Automated Phone System Hell

Originally Posted by sibsie
So back in March we buy a new HDTV. It's got a blimp in the middle of the screen so needs fixing.

I call up the 1-800 number yesterday and after two hours, yes two hours on hold I finally give up. I get back on to it today and after navigating the weird directions and voice prompts am back on hold. I'm now coming into my second hour.

I hate hate hate automated phone systems. They are the singular most annoying thing in the US. :mad:

Have you tried contacting the store where you purchased it, rather than the manufacturer's 1-800 number? Some stores will have a limited replacement warranty, or an exchange agreement.

Lion in Winter Aug 18th 2004 4:07 pm

Two hours on hold?! You've got more patience than me, I've usually slammed the phone down before 5 minutes is up.

One thing I have done is look up a real phone number (not 800) for the company and find a live body to speak to. You have to pay for the call, but on the other hand you don't have to buy blood pressure medication.

AmerLisa Aug 18th 2004 4:07 pm

Two hours on hold?? Yikes! I'm almost afraid to ask what company you were calling. We bought an HDTV a couple of months ago, and we bought a stupid breakdown policy with it. We haven't had to use it, but I think if we did we'd have to same problem.

sibsie Aug 18th 2004 4:10 pm

It's a Philips that we got from Best Buy. Best Buy told us to call Philips direct so that's where I am now.

Cheers for the tip about looking up the number direct. I'll give it a go.

AmerLisa Aug 18th 2004 4:20 pm

It's a Philips that we got from Best Buy. Best Buy told us to call Philips direct so that's where I am now.

Yes we bought from Best Buy as well, we didn't buy a Philips though. Good luck on getting through though.

rincewind Aug 18th 2004 4:35 pm

You can e-mail them at [email protected] and detail the problem. This may save you time in waiting on the phone.

They also have a Fax number: 1-865-521-4468

Good luck.

Chopper-Chris Aug 18th 2004 7:04 pm

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
Yes we bought from Best Buy as well, we didn't buy a Philips though. Good luck on getting through though.

This worked for me with Best Buy automated 'hold' lines...

as soon as you get the options...hit 2 then *5573

it's someones extension (I think she said her name was Amanda or Mandy) anyway, she was very nice and told me that she could put me straight through so I wouldn't have to hold any longer (I lied, I told her I'd been waiting for 15 minutes and then it had automatically diverted me through to her and I didn't know why)

anyway, she loves British accents and her Mother has friends 'somewhere near London'

:)

(If you're reading this Amanda, thanks, you were great)

meauxna Aug 18th 2004 8:46 pm

I bought my first and last thingie from Best Buy. Service sucks unless you stick it to.. I mean stick *with* them. Finally *did* get my $400+ back.

But.

Can always try the store again and don't waffle. Say you want to speak to the Store Director. A recent purchase should be handled at the STORE level and they know it. If he (it's always a he) gives you a hard time, ask for the contact info for the District Manager (altho you can get this from the website, too). Try try try to deal at the store level; they have a lot of lattitude to keep you happy.

I also had luck with Chris' suggestion. They have a higher level Cust Svc Department where actual thinking humans work.

(love my flat panel tv...we didn't opt for the HD.. did we miss the boat or make an educated buy: ;) )

Lion in Winter Aug 18th 2004 8:51 pm

Originally Posted by Chopper-Chris

it's someones extension (I think she said her name was Amanda or Mandy) anyway, she was very nice and told me that she could put me straight through so I wouldn't have to hold any longer (I lied, I told her I'd been waiting for 15 minutes and then it had automatically diverted me through to her and I didn't know why)

anyway, she loves British accents and her Mother has friends 'somewhere near London'

(If you're reading this Amanda, thanks, you were great)

You don't think she's going to get suspicious when 50 dissatisfied ex-pats call her up?

Who's Amanda, and what was she great at? Oh never mind, none of my business. :D (Sorry, worked it out. Slow day.)

sibsie Aug 18th 2004 9:48 pm

Originally Posted by Chopper-Chris

Arse cakes. I tried that but ended up in the Satellite Department. :confused:

I actually fell asleep on the sofa for well over an hour with the phone on. When I woke up the annoying music was still playing. I think I'll have to hand this one over to my hubby as I'm liable to lose it with them.

Chopper-Chris Aug 19th 2004 12:44 pm

Arse cakes. I tried that but ended up in the Satellite Department. :confused:

I actually fell asleep on the sofa for well over an hour with the phone on. When I woke up the annoying music was still playing. I think I'll have to hand this one over to my hubby as I'm liable to lose it with them.

sorry, did I forget to say...the extension I plugged in was completely random, I don't know what department it actually was, but this Amanda lady could put me through to the right department when I told her what my problem was.

Good Luck...

but my best advice is not to go back to Best Buy, I've vowed off them forever.

ElsieTheMaid Aug 19th 2004 2:34 pm

I feel your pain Sibsie!! What I hate is when it says "to speak to a live operator, press 0", then when you do, you get a whole other list of options to chose from. :mad:

Karma coming your way!

TRPardoe Aug 19th 2004 4:06 pm

I believe that Philips in the USA equals Magnavox.