Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Auto Titling, Registering and Insurance in PA - need help please

Auto Titling, Registering and Insurance in PA - need help please

Old Jul 30th 2006, 5:58 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Auto Titling, Registering and Insurance in PA - need help please

Originally Posted by neil
Where does it say it's illegal to drive that long on a foreign license? A friend of mine has been in the US for over 10 years and still uses his UK licence and has had no issues with being a named driver on his (USC) wife's insurance with it (he's been pulled over a couple of times and it's not been an issue).
Not true. I remember someone posting a few weeks ago when they said they had been fined for producing a UK licence whilst driving in Florida. I wonder what would happen if you were involved in an accident while you were driving illegally without a US license? Insurance companies will try to find any loophole to wriggle out of handing over money.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Jul 30th 2006 at 6:01 pm.
Old Jul 30th 2006, 7:06 pm
Senior Moment

Sarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gripper
Hi everyone

I would appreciate some advice.

The story so far.. short version! - questions at the end.

Came here on fiance visa

Married - filed all paperwork etc.

2 Yrs later - filed for removal of conditions - extended current permanent resident card for one year and waiting.

Few months later - Marriage breakdown

So i moved out last Thursday because it was all getting too much to bear.
My wife didn't appreciate this, removed me from the car insurance and demanded the return of the car saying she would report it as stolen.
I returned the car.
Now I'm stuck without a ride because both of our vehicles are registered in my wife's name.

Unfortunately I haven't got round to getting my full PA Driver's license (have learners permit and test is scheduled for August 12th.)
I have been running around using my UK License since I came here ( I have been stopped once by a cop and he didn't say anything about it).

First problem is that I don't have a car to take the test in.

Plan A - I asked to borrow my work vehicle but the insurance doesn't cover private use.

Plan B - I was thinking about getting an International Driver's Permit as these are valid in PA with a foreign license for one year. Next step - buy a car. I think I will be able to get insurance as the progressive website allowed me to select "foreign license" and I was covered using my UK license on my wife's insurance.
I can reschedule the test and I won't need an accompanying driver if I have the IDP (as per the DMV website).

Plan C - The only other option I can think of is to ask my friend to put me on their insurance (me paying the extra cost of course) so that I can take the driver's test. I don't want to really want to do this as he is already picking me up and dropping me off at work (he works at the same place too).

My questions are:-

Can I insure a car that I don't own to get me through the test ( I was thinking of insuring the Company Scion XB) and then switch the insurance to another car when purchased?

Can I title and register a car in PA using my UK license and an International Driver's Permit?

Can I title and register a car in PA with a learner's permit? I think this a no.

The ironic thing - my wife works at a Tag and Title place !!

Thanks in advance

Gripper

PS - yes I'm a dumba$$ for not getting my license sooner.

Sorry to hear about your marriage. I'm in PA and so I would suggest against getting an international license as they take ages to come through anyway and you have to get someone in the UK to file the papers for you.

PA drivers test is easy-peasy and so I really think the best hassle-free option would be to go with a driving school and use their car for test, they'll also take you and to the test and probably give you a ride to work, letting your mate off the hook. Then once you've passed you'll have a DL and be able to get yourself sorted with a car.
Plus you'll have what is basically an ID card in this country and once you have you'll realise how invaluble it is.
Best of luck, with the Philly DMV.
Old Jul 30th 2006, 7:25 pm
Blondie22

blaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by neil
Where does it say it's illegal to drive that long on a foreign license? A friend of mine has been in the US for over 10 years and still uses his UK licence and has had no issues with being a named driver on his (USC) wife's insurance with it (he's been pulled over a couple of times and it's not been an issue).

I guess I don't need to answer that as everyone else has done it for me!
Old Jul 30th 2006, 7:35 pm
Blondie22

blaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by blaze
I guess I don't need to answer that as everyone else has done it for me!

Taken from the 'US embassy of London' website:

Will my British driver's license be adequate for renting a car?
The U.S.A. has an agreement with most countries whereby the renter's full national driving license may be used for a period of up to one year in the U.S.A. This applies to the full U.K. driving license. Provisional licenses are not acceptable.
Old Jul 30th 2006, 7:51 pm
Who?

jumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sarah
Sorry to hear about your marriage. I'm in PA and so I would suggest against getting an international license as they take ages to come through anyway and you have to get someone in the UK to file the papers for you.

PA drivers test is easy-peasy and so I really think the best hassle-free option would be to go with a driving school and use their car for test, they'll also take you and to the test and probably give you a ride to work, letting your mate off the hook. Then once you've passed you'll have a DL and be able to get yourself sorted with a car.
Plus you'll have what is basically an ID card in this country and once you have you'll realise how invaluble it is.
Best of luck, with the Philly DMV.
Hi
We applied for our international drivers permits while we were living here. Went online to the AA website and downloaded the docs, sent them off and the licences arrived within two weeks. We bought and insured two cars using UK licences. We should get our PA ones ,it's just this thing of having to get the physical first.
Old Jul 30th 2006, 7:54 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jumping doris
Hi
We applied for our international drivers permits while we were living here. Went online to the AA website and downloaded the docs, sent them off and the licences arrived within two weeks. We bought and insured two cars using UK licences. We should get our PA ones ,it's just this thing of having to get the physical first.
physical for your driver's licence
Old Jul 30th 2006, 8:01 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Taken from the 'US embassy of London' website:

Will my British driver's license be adequate for renting a car?
The U.S.A. has an agreement with most countries whereby the renter's full national driving license may be used for a period of up to one year in the U.S.A. This applies to the full U.K. driving license. Provisional licenses are not acceptable.
This applies to visitors not Permanent Resident Aliens
Old Jul 30th 2006, 8:34 pm
I want my Bike !

Gripper is just really niceGripper is just really niceGripper is just really niceGripper is just really niceGripper is just really niceGripper is just really niceGripper is just really niceGripper is just really niceGripper is just really nice

Hi
Thanks for the info:

I thought this was possible. There was a number for the AA on the UK postoffice website to call for advice if you can't file for the IDP in person.

Thanks everyone else for their replies.

To clear up a few points from earlier postings

1. Yes... I should have got my license before now. i know that!!

2. I was insured for our vehicles. The insurance company was aware that I had a UK License only and charged us more for that fact. They said our insurance will be less once I have a full license. I don't know which insurance company we were using.

3. Have I been driving illegally - I think that's a yes, but I gotta do what i gotta do.

Jumping Doris - the physical was very simple. Don't be worried about it.
A nurse checked my hearing, eyesight and blood pressure. I then saw my doctor who asked me the questions on the medical form from the driving manual, he felt around my belly, listened to my chest and made me touch my toes. That was it ! It cost me $10 co-pay
Old Jul 30th 2006, 8:52 pm
Who?

jumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond repute

We haven't seen a doc in years. Haven't needed to (touch wood) and so we haven't got around to finding one here. Our medical insurance doesn't require us to have a primary care physician so it has been low on our list. I am assuming that it would be a primary care person who would do the medical.
We have found a pediatrician for our children so we can be quite responsible and of course we have a vet for the dog
Old Jul 30th 2006, 9:00 pm
I want my Bike !

Gripper is just really niceGripper is just really niceGripper is just really niceGripper is just really niceGripper is just really niceGripper is just really niceGripper is just really niceGripper is just really niceGripper is just really nice

We haven't seen a doc in years. Haven't needed to (touch wood) and so we haven't got around to finding one here. Our medical insurance doesn't require us to have a primary care physician so it has been low on our list. I am assuming that it would be a primary care person who would do the medical.
We have found a pediatrician for our children so we can be quite responsible and of course we have a vet for the dog
I haven't seen a doc in years too and had to register to a new one before getting a physical appointment. I was able to log on to my medical insurance website and select a doctor closer to home. I had been registered with my wife's doctor but had never been to see him. I picked up some new patient forms to fill out prior to the appointment. Glad to see the dog has a doctor!! Maybe the vet can give you a physical for half price

I just took a look at the AA website.
For this bit :- Address: (as shown on driving licence and to which the permit may be sent).

Did you put down your US address? Does your UK license have your US address on it? Mine doesn't.
Old Jul 30th 2006, 9:09 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Does anyone realise who is driving around without a US drivers license that legally you cannot use your UK license forever? The timeframe to get a US license is normally between 30 days and 6 months if you are a resident in the US. If you are involved in an accident do you really think the insurance company will pay out? Try finding the person that told you it was OK to drive around with a UK license to be a witness in court. Good luck.
Old Jul 30th 2006, 9:15 pm
Blondie22

Originally Posted by Ray
This applies to visitors not Permanent Resident Aliens
Requirements

Many legal requirements vary by state. Please be sure to check our individual state pages for the requirements that relate to your specific destination.

Okay, how about this:

Taken from drivingabroad.co.uk:

Requirements
Many legal requirements vary by state. Please be sure to check our individual state pages for the requirements that relate to your specific destination.

Driving licence:In the U.S.A you are not required to carry an International Driving Permit (IDP) if you hold a valid driving licence, but often you are required to have held your licence for a minimum of one year and a foreign driving licence is normally only valid for a year.In the U.S.A and Canada driving licence’s include the drivers photograph, so if you are from a country where this is not the case it is wise to also carry your passport to avoid any unnecessary complications or delays should you have to produce it. If you are from the U.K. remember to take both parts of your driving licence (photo card and paper licence with the further details).
Old Jul 30th 2006, 9:20 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Requirements

Okay, how about this:

Taken from drivingabroad.co.uk:

Requirements

Driving licence:In the U.S.A you are not required to carry an International Driving Permit (IDP) if you hold a valid driving licence, but often you are required to have held your licence for a minimum of one year and a foreign driving licence is normally only valid for a year.In the U.S.A and Canada driving licence’s include the drivers photograph, so if you are from a country where this is not the case it is wise to also carry your passport to avoid any unnecessary complications or delays should you have to produce it. If you are from the U.K. remember to take both parts of your driving licence (photo card and paper licence with the further details).
Sorry Blaze but I don't think that is the best source of information. Foreign licenses are only valid for 1 yr? What are both parts of a UK licence...you either have a paper one or you have surrended it for the new photo ID type...as I have.
Your certainly cannot drive around as a US resident for 1 yr on a UK license in NJ and most other states.

I think that information was aimed at visitors and not US residents.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Jul 30th 2006 at 9:23 pm.
Old Jul 30th 2006, 9:23 pm
Who?

[

I just took a look at the AA website.
For this bit :- Address: (as shown on driving licence and to which the permit may be sent).

Did you put down your US address? Does your UK license have your US address on it? Mine doesn't.[/QUOTE]

I rang the AA and explained that we were here on a temporary basis and would they send the permit to me here in Pittsburgh. No problem.
Our UK licence still has our UK address on it.
Old Jul 30th 2006, 9:25 pm
Blondie22

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Sorry Blaze but I don't think that is the best source of information. Foreign licenses are only valid for 1 yr? What are both parts of a UK licence...you either have a paper one or you have surrended it for the new photo ID type...as I have.
Your certainly cannot drive around as a US resident for 1 yr on a UK license in NJ and most other states.

Firstly my dear, I have to disagree with you on the license (sorry! ). Even with the new american style license you still have a paper that goes with it. One is not valid without the other. I have it so I know this is true.
I'm googling like crazy trying to find a better web site with more precise info but as far as I knew it was 12 months with a foreign license (I'm not saying this is gospil though, that's why I'm stlll googling!)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.