Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Auto or stick shift In San Jose Area, CA?

Auto or stick shift In San Jose Area, CA?

Old Aug 30th 2012, 5:43 am

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Auto or stick shift In San Jose Area, CA?

Originally Posted by joylove
There is MG in the USA? You mean the MG6?

How about a Jaguar F Type instead, should be out next month (if you have the dough )
No older I am afraid the TF 135 only problem a convertible is just about useless for me I carry so much clobber for work and I had a convertible a few years ago took the roof off maybe 4 times lol
Attached Thumbnails Auto or stick shift In San Jose Area, CA?-mg.jpg  
Old Aug 30th 2012, 5:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by englishman_in_NY
From what I've seen most cars here seem to come in a manual version, in fact the MSRP for a new car is usually for the manual version.

If you don't want to get a manual because of heavy traffic, difficulty reselling, etc, I find the next best thing is an auto with optional manual mode.
When I bought my 2001 BMW 330 CI, there wasn't a single stick shift on the lot and I had to order it from the factory. In some cases (usually the higher end cars), it is more expensive for a stick shift than an automatic since usually they have to be special ordered from the factory and whenever you order something from the factory, the price is usually higher.
Old Aug 30th 2012, 7:08 pm
Forum Regular

Bootle will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Michael
When I bought my 2001 BMW 330 CI, there wasn't a single stick shift on the lot and I had to order it from the factory. In some cases (usually the higher end cars), it is more expensive for a stick shift than an automatic since usually they have to be special ordered from the factory and whenever you order something from the factory, the price is usually higher.
Even then these days you can't order a new 5 series with a manual unless you go with the European delivery option. And no Mercedes imported will give you a manual either. Most GMs and Fords don't have a manual option either.

That being said the OP was looking to buy used and I would say go for it. The bay area has some great roads and heading down 1 would be great in a manual. Also a manual in a BMW is likely to mean that it was/is owned by an someone who is more likely to be in to driving and maintaining their car. If you're buying a car for resale your not really going to be asking this question.