British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Auto rental liability insurance whilst temporarily in the US (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/auto-rental-liability-insurance-whilst-temporarily-us-925608/)

FrankCastle Jun 9th 2019 10:04 pm

Auto rental liability insurance whilst temporarily in the US

Hi All,

I can't seem to find any threads on this but does anyone know where i can purchase Supplementary Liability Insurance (or additional liability insurance). If anything really bad happens it's just one less thing to worry about having cover against third party claims.

Trying to use my opportunity whilst i'm here on a work visa to see as much of the US as i can and finding renting a car for my vacations is the best way :)
Seems every site i look at only sells this to UK/some EU residents.

If i look for it on the rental sites either nothing is mentioned or its another $16.99 a day via the rental companies.... (unless i say I'm a UK resident and then its included in the price)
Does anyone have any advice on where I can get a policy that covers this or if it is just in there already?

Thanks!

Nutmegger Jun 9th 2019 10:34 pm

Re: Auto rental liability insurance whilst temporarily in the US

Originally Posted by FrankCastle (Post 12695821)
Hi All,

I can't seem to find any threads on this but does anyone know where i can purchase Supplementary Liability Insurance (or additional liability insurance). If anything really bad happens it's just one less thing to worry about having cover against third party claims.

Trying to use my opportunity whilst i'm here on a work visa to see as much of the US as i can and finding renting a car for my vacations is the best way :)

If i look for it on the rental sites either nothing is mentioned or its another $16.99 a day via the rental companies.... (unless i say I'm a UK resident and then its included in the price)
Does anyone have any advice on where I can get a policy that covers this or if it is just in there already?

Thanks!

Have you checked your own auto insurance policy? Your credit card benefits?

FrankCastle Jun 9th 2019 10:38 pm

So i don't have an auto insurance policy (don't own a car) and my credit card only covers the damage to the vehicle itself but not third party liability insurance.

Although if you knew a credit card that did that might solve my problem :)

Nutmegger Jun 9th 2019 10:47 pm

Originally Posted by FrankCastle (Post 12695827)
So i don't have an auto insurance policy (don't own a car) and my credit card only covers the damage to the vehicle itself but not third party liability insurance.

Although if you knew a credit card that did that might solve my problem :)

Do you have an umbrella policy besides your homeowners/renters? If not, it might be a good idea even if you weren’t planning a trip.

FrankCastle Jun 9th 2019 10:51 pm

I don't but I think you've just solved it for me. Looking at that now and it's exactly what i'm after.
Great tip; thanks!

Nutmegger Jun 10th 2019 2:02 am

Originally Posted by FrankCastle (Post 12695833)
I don't but I think you've just solved it for me. Looking at that now and it's exactly what i'm after.
Great tip; thanks!

Hope it works out for you. Enjoy your trips.

Olly_ Jun 10th 2019 2:10 pm

Originally Posted by FrankCastle (Post 12695833)
Great tip; thanks!

Umbrella policies top up coverage that you already have and they usually specify existing coverage minimums - you can't buy an umbrella policy by itself for liability coverage.

For example, Geico says...

GEICO requires a minimum bodily injury limit of $300,000/$300,000 and a property damage limit of $100,000 or $250,000/$500,000 and a property damage limit of $100,000 on your auto policy to qualify for an umbrella policy. Homeowners/Renters Personal Liability coverage of $300,000 is also required.
You can get non-owner liability coverage from some insurers which is more likely to do what you want. It's a bit niche though so you may have to shop around and speak to some agents.

petitefrancaise Jun 10th 2019 3:46 pm

https://www.nerdwallet.com/blog/insu...car-insurance/

Rete Jun 10th 2019 5:46 pm

Originally Posted by FrankCastle (Post 12695821)
Hi All,

Thanks!

Where are you looking. Once you are in the US, even though your not entering as a PR but on a work visa, you are residing in the US, will be paying US taxes, etc. and should be looking for rentals within the US and all rental companies offer insurance and many a supplemental package at the time and for the duration of the rental. Never had I been asked for my nationality when renting a vehicle.

Will be you renting or buying a home or apartment while in the US? Check with the insurance company that you will getting your homeowners or renter's insurance with as to whether or not they will cover you for additional liability if you involved in an auto accident.

TheKingOfHearts Jun 10th 2019 6:33 pm

Generally, the best practice is to get a credit card which offers "Primary" rental car coverage, good examples of these are the Chase Sapphire line (The preferred being the cheapest) if you have an AMEX they offer a premium insurance for a one-time fee for $24 per rental (up to 30 days)

Almost all rental car providers provide liability insurance to my knowledge, they don't often provide coverage for damage to the rental vehicle itself, however, that's where your credit card or personal auto coverage kicks in.