Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Centerparcs in America?

Centerparcs in America?

Old Apr 19th 2006, 5:21 pm
Forum Regular

kazic is just really nicekazic is just really nicekazic is just really nicekazic is just really nicekazic is just really nicekazic is just really nicekazic is just really nicekazic is just really nice
Default Centerparcs in America?

Are there some children activity camps in the USA similar to European Centerparcs (www.centerparcs.com)?

I would be grateful for suggestions. We came from Europe, have 2 small children 4 and 5 years old - and unfortunately do not know where to go for a holiday in the USA.

Thanks in advance
Old Apr 19th 2006, 6:02 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb Re: Centerparcs in America?

Originally Posted by kazic
Are there some children activity camps in the USA similar to European Centerparcs (www.centerparcs.com)?

I would be grateful for suggestions. We came from Europe, have 2 small children 4 and 5 years old - and unfortunately do not know where to go for a holiday in the USA.

Thanks in advance
The only one I can think of would be Club Med....they have at least one Club Med in Florida (with a 'circus' theme - saw it on the UK 'Holiday' programme once on a home-leave trip) and a few in the Caribbean.

http://www.clubmed.us/cm/Satellite?c...caleName=en_US

It seems that with the poor annual leave in most US companies, kids just go to local daily 'camps' or when they're a bit older to 'sleep-away' camps in the Summer but the parents can't go.

The only other alternatives which currently come to mind are the 'dude' ranches in various parts of the US (just google 'dude ranch') and places like the 'Rocking Horse Ranch' in upstate New York or 'Skytop' in PA (v. expensive) or Mohonk (either PA or upstate NY).

Another alternative could be to go on a cruise, eg. the Disney cruise ships which may appeal to your little ones.....but drive mum and dad up the wall LOL!
Old Apr 19th 2006, 7:15 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Centerparcs in America?

Cruises would be the best bet for a family deal, or chuck them in a summer camp and spend a fortune probably...
Old Apr 19th 2006, 9:22 pm
Forum Regular

Britdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud of

Thanks in advance
I think that KOA Kampgounds (www.koa.com) are a fairly close equivalent, although the chalets / cabins tend to be a lot more spartan, and there's not always a swimming pool. Plenty of RV hookups though.
Old Apr 19th 2006, 9:31 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Britdrinker
I think that KOA Kampgounds (www.koa.com) are a fairly close equivalent, although the chalets / cabins tend to be a lot more spartan, and there's not always a swimming pool. Plenty of RV hookups though.
Tend to be pretty pricey for what they are, and often pretty shite..well the one's I've been to...good laugh for a camping weekend, but nothing like a centerparcs...
Old Apr 19th 2006, 10:13 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks in advance
Your local YMCA or county parks may offer children's activity camps over the summer. Most, if not all, won't be residential but thoe cost, I would hope, would be considerably less than sending them away to a residential summer camp.

NC Penguin
Old Apr 20th 2006, 12:46 am
BE Enthusiast

Lizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to all

KOA are just a campsite chain some with cabins and most with pools. They're not really a Center Parcs type place.
I've looked into cruises but they seem very stressful - teeny little cabins, lots of people everywhere, herding you on and off the ship, queues for dinner etc, plus you have to keep track of the kids in all of this, not the most relaxing vacation to have with kids I suspect, although I hear the Disney Cruises are great (with 5 of us we have to have the top of the range suite which makes them unaffordable).
You could try looking on expedia for a hotel that offers childrens activities & clubs, and here in the US you are well-placed to go somewhere nice in the Carribean or Mexico for example. They will be expensive, but let's face it so is Center Parcs.
All the best.
Old Apr 20th 2006, 7:59 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb Re: Centerparcs in America?

This looks like a nice place to take the kiddies - lots of things to do there:

http://www.myrtlebeachhotels.com/hot...playPackInfo=1