British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Auto Insurance in NY or NJ. Is it really that expensive in the US? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/auto-insurance-ny-nj-really-expensive-us-682569/)

LDParker Aug 24th 2010 12:30 pm

Auto Insurance in NY or NJ. Is it really that expensive in the US?

Hello all. New Member here looking for help in the US. Im moving to the US in October, family in tow working on Wall St, NY. Doing my best to prepare for the move. Could someone advise on car "auto" insurance? I will most likely take a new car via(SNIP)but having trouble finding insurance. I have been quoted US 3000 for 6 months!!?! WOW! Is it really that expensive in the US? Lee

Englishtart Aug 24th 2010 12:40 pm

Re: Auto Insurance in NY or NJ. Is it really that expensive in the US?

Hi Lee, glad you found us, welcome to the US forum. Unfortunately, there is no general rule of thumb when it comes to Auto ins':huh:

It's all pretty much dependant on where you are living and which car you buy. We have a lot of people on here that have recently (or are) moving, some to NY area, I'm sure they will be along soon to give you some tips;)

Jerseygirl Aug 24th 2010 1:10 pm

Originally Posted by LDParker (Post 8799375)
Hello all. New Member here looking for help in the US. Im moving to the US in October, family in tow working on Wall St, NY. Doing my best to prepare for the move. Could someone advise on car "auto" insurance? I will most likely take a new car via (SNIP) but having trouble finding insurance. I have been quoted US 3000 for 6 months!!?! WOW! Is it really that expensive in the US? Lee

Insurance here is generally very expensive for the first 6/12 months as you are considered to be a new driver without any driving experience.

Rete Aug 24th 2010 1:36 pm

Hello all. New Member here looking for help in the US. Im moving to the US in October, family in tow working on Wall St, NY. Doing my best to prepare for the move. Could someone advise on car "auto" insurance? I will most likely take a new car via(SNIP)but having trouble finding insurance. I have been quoted US 3000 for 6 months!!?! WOW! Is it really that expensive in the US? Lee

All depends on your driving record, if the UK one will be used by the new insurance company or not, the type of car, the amount of coverage acquired and where you are living and where the car will be housed and if you will be driving the car to work or not.

Yes, NYC auto insurance is quite expensive.

LDParker Aug 24th 2010 1:40 pm

Thanks Rete!

Does anybody have any suggested companies I should approach - sympathetic to my situation...? ;)

Rete Aug 24th 2010 1:49 pm

Many expats have lauded Progressive for good premiums. I've been an insured of GEICO's for over 30 years and very happy with them but then they are not the cheapest around. They do provide excellent customer service and 24/7 availability.

Bob Aug 24th 2010 3:04 pm

Originally Posted by LDParker (Post 8799574)
Thanks Rete!

Does anybody have any suggested companies I should approach - sympathetic to my situation...? ;)

AIG is supposedly quite good, but there's a members fee involved.

Duncan Roberts Aug 24th 2010 3:33 pm

State Farm was by far the cheapest for me, still is actually.

sir_eccles Aug 24th 2010 3:59 pm

You mention working on Wall St but don't say where you are going to be living. Be aware that if you are living in Manhattan as well, parking costs may very well exceed that piddly little 3000 dollars that you are worried about paying for insurance. Consider public transport.

I spent three years living in Brooklyn and never felt the need to deal with the expense of owning a car and all the hassles of alternate side parking etc. Consider joining something like Zip Car for occasional by the hour car hire (I think there are a few more similar ones that have started up now). Or what I did a couple of times for trips to upstate NY is get the train out as far as White Plains then pick up a car from Hertz. Driving in NYC is not fun.

Hubcaps Aug 24th 2010 11:49 pm

One thing we found this week was the lack of credit history made for sky high insurance and not having the State driving licence. We're paying $580 for 6 months insurance on our car (with State licence) and we shopped around for it. Don't go to comparison websites....I am still fending off spam from people offering me insurance, alarms, car stereos etc off the back of it.
Geico were the cheapest for us, Progressive the most expensive (by some $500)

blondiern Aug 25th 2010 7:55 am

If I may, 3000 for 6 months????!!!....no, no one in the US pays that much, unless they are just released from prison having been convicted of killing an entire family on a drunk driving charge!!!!....when you get to US, get yourself immediately to Motor Vehicle Agency and get license, that will help...insurance here depends on record of accidents/car make-model-safety/who will be driving it and the age/sex of the drivers, AND the town, county you will be living in in NJ, etc...even if you start out paying 1500 per 6 months, it will decrease rapidly in the following 2-3 years if there are no issues (accidents, etc)....try High Point Insurance in NJ, they have good rates....reply in here if you like, and I can steer you further....I have a good agent....(btw, not a Brit, but an American with Brit BF).....ann

blondiern Aug 25th 2010 8:11 am

PS.....yes, NY/NJ area VERY expensive in all respects, but SO worth it....I love it here...been here my whole life, and I never get tired of that view when circling the last loop heading into the Lincoln Tunnel at night and seeing NY lit up in front of me.....so lovely....I wish you well...check in here if you need guidance on anything....ann

Bob Aug 25th 2010 2:29 pm

Originally Posted by blondiern (Post 8801651)
If I may, 3000 for 6 months????!!!....no, no one in the US pays that much, unless they are just released from prison having been convicted of killing an entire family on a drunk driving charge!!!!....when you get to US, get yourself immediately to Motor Vehicle Agency and get license, that will help...insurance here depends on record of accidents/car make-model-safety/who will be driving it and the age/sex of the drivers, AND the town, county you will be living in in NJ, etc...even if you start out paying 1500 per 6 months, it will decrease rapidly in the following 2-3 years if there are no issues (accidents, etc)....try High Point Insurance in NJ, they have good rates....reply in here if you like, and I can steer you further....I have a good agent....(btw, not a Brit, but an American with Brit BF).....ann

Well it is plausible because where you park is a major factor in some areas.

cranston Aug 25th 2010 2:54 pm

as suggest above try Geico...

Jerseygirl Aug 25th 2010 4:05 pm

Originally Posted by blondiern (Post 8801651)

If he were living and working in NJ I would have suggested NJ Manufacturers Ins.