British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Auto Insurance for a foreign national (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/auto-insurance-foreign-national-53422/)

Alex Nov 15th 2001 12:16 am

Does anybody have any suggestions for a car insurance for a foreign national on B-2
visa? All quotes that I am getting are really high, is there an alternative? I am in
California, have an international Driver's Licence, clean record.

Thanks a lot

Debbie Barfield Nov 15th 2001 1:04 am

My CA insurance carrier (AAA) told me that the rate would not go down until there was
a 3 year US driving record.

Sorry

Stuart Nov 15th 2001 2:43 am

>
    >
    >
    >
    >

You won't actually get it, and California insurance is through the roof anyway.

An IDP (IDL) is NOT a drivers license. It is a supplement to your license which, when
used in the countries that are signatories to the IDP convention will accept your
home country license with the IDP.

Stuart

Petecito Nov 15th 2001 4:45 am

Alex,

Best thing to do (now) is go get a Cali licence. That (might) bring down some of the
cost (my insurance company will take ~15% off when I get a Texan licence). After that
it's just history you need to build up.

>
national
    >
    >
    >
    >

Joachim Feise Nov 15th 2001 5:48 am

Petecito wrote:
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

[usenetquote2]> > Does anybody have any suggestions for a car insurance for a foreign[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]> > on B-2 visa? All quotes that I am getting are really high, is there an[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > alternative? I am in California, have an international Driver's Licence, clean[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > record.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > Thanks a lot[/usenetquote2]
There normally is no way to get a CA drivers license while on a B visa. The reason is
that you need a Social Security number, which you don't get with a B visa.

Christian Herboth Nov 15th 2001 3:13 pm

[...]
    >
    >
When I was over in the US on a tourist Visa in New York state I went to the Social
Security administration and they gave me a letter which said that I am not eligle to
get a social security number. Apparently that was quite common as the letter was
already adressed to the DMV and they only had to fill in my name. I got my learners
permit with that without any problems....

Christian

Christian Herboth Nov 15th 2001 3:16 pm

[...]
    >
    >
When I was over in the US on a tourist Visa in New York state 2 weeks ago I went to
the Social Security administration and they gave me a letter which said that I am not
eligle to get a social security number. Apparently that was quite common as the
letter was already adressed to the DMV and they only had to fill in my name. I got my
learners permit with that without any problems....

Christian

Melinda Mackenzie Nov 15th 2001 6:00 pm

>
national
    >
    >

We live in WA and my husband has car insurance and he doesn't have a US drivers
license. It costs more, but you can get it.