Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Auto Insurance

Auto Insurance

Old May 22nd 2001, 5:53 pm
Jan

Hi,

Where can I find an insurer that will recognize my "foreign" driving experience? I
am currently insured with AIG who does, but AIG only insures in some states like
California. Although I am 39 years old with 21 years driving experience, the
insurance companies treat me like a person with 2 years' experience, which is based
only on how long you have had your US driver's license. The premiums I am quoted
are at least double what I pay now for MINIMUM coverage. State Farm will not even
give me quote!

Thanks

Old May 22nd 2001, 6:32 pm
Rocky Raccoon

>
    >
    >
    >
insures
    >
years
    >
with 2
    >
US
    >
I pay
    >

Try All-State. They seem to give the best quotes for people with little driving
experience in the US. If you are in the Bay Area, contact Flack Insurance (for
All-state) in Sunnyvale.

Around 2 years back, I got a quote from 2 diff All-State agents - Flack & another
one. Very funnily Flack's quote was $200 less than the other All-state agent. Flack
has now split up to into 2 diff agencies, anyone should be OK.

Old May 22nd 2001, 6:34 pm
Rocky Raccoon

[usenetquote2]> > Hi,[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > Where can I find an insurer that will recognize my "foreign"[/usenetquote2]
driving
[usenetquote2]> > experience? I am currently insured with AIG who does, but AIG[/usenetquote2]
only
    >
[usenetquote2]> > in some states like California. Although I am 39 years old with[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]> > driving experience, the insurance companies treat me like a person[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]> > years' experience, which is based only on how long you have had[/usenetquote2]
your
    >
[usenetquote2]> > driver's license. The premiums I am quoted are at least double[/usenetquote2]
what
    >
[usenetquote2]> > now for MINIMUM coverage. State Farm will not even give me quote![/usenetquote2]
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Sorry, I misread your post. You don't seem to be in California. Anyway, try your
local All-State Agent. I am currently in Washington State & my All-State premium is
pretty good.

Alternately try Geico (they don't have agents - visit their website or call their 800
number). They gave me a good quote when I lived in Sunnyvale, but the premium
increased by 200$ when I moved 20 miles away.

Old May 22nd 2001, 6:45 pm
Dan Jerghiuta

If you are in California, you're not covered by AIG but by their partner, Century
21st. AIG offers coverage in most other states (check www.aigdirect.com)

>
    >
    >
    >
insures
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old May 22nd 2001, 9:41 pm
Jan

I tried www.aigdirect.com, but they blew me off. They require "at least 3 years'
verifyable US driving history".

>
    >
    >

[usenetquote2]> > Where can I find an insurer that will recognize my "foreign" driving experience?[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > I am currently insured with AIG who does, but AIG only[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]> > in some states like California. Although I am 39 years old with 21[/usenetquote2]
years
[usenetquote2]> > driving experience, the insurance companies treat me like a person with[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > years' experience, which is based only on how long you have had your US driver's[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > license. The premiums I am quoted are at least double what I[/usenetquote2]
pay
[usenetquote2]> > now for MINIMUM coverage. State Farm will not even give me quote![/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > Thanks[/usenetquote2]

Old May 29th 2001, 9:33 pm
Jaana Kittila

I have my insurance at Geico and they didn't require any form of proof of my driving
record in Finland.

Now after having the insurance at Geico for a year and no accidents, my premium was
decreased from $575 / 6 months to $388 / 6months. I have a sports car so the
insurance is a bit higher than for normal family cars. When I got my insurance I
didn't even have a US drivers license, but it didn't stop them from giving me
insurance. I did prepay the whole 6 months in advance to guarantee the coverage.

Try them out. Go for the web site and get a quote through that (www.geico.com).
Good luck!

Jaana

>
    >
    >
    >
insures
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old May 31st 2001, 12:57 am
macs

Count yourself lucky then. If you live in NJ and you have a sports car you could be
paying as much as 3K! Geico don;t offer insurance in NJ as do many of the major
insurers. One good reason to move to another state!! They don;t recognise your
previous driving history either. I have 14 years and 2 advanced "Police" driving
certs. Neither of these counted with CNA.

>
my
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

[usenetquote2]> > Where can I find an insurer that will recognize my "foreign" driving experience?[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > I am currently insured with AIG who does, but AIG only[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]> > in some states like California. Although I am 39 years old with 21[/usenetquote2]
years
[usenetquote2]> > driving experience, the insurance companies treat me like a person with[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > years' experience, which is based only on how long you have had your US driver's[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > license. The premiums I am quoted are at least double what I[/usenetquote2]
pay

Old Jun 3rd 2001, 7:15 pm
exyz

>
    >
    >
driving
    >
insures
    >
years
    >
with 2
    >
your US
    >
what I pay
    >
    >
    >
    >
When we first got married, my husband still had his Dutch license, and since I was
listed as the primary driver, and owner of the car, Geico put him on my policy for
nothing. (this was in PA, and we subsequently moved to NC). When we got our new car,
about 2 years after he had his US license, I shopped around. State Farm, Allstate and
someone else wanted to charge me more than double. (This was for one car, two
drivers, no accidents, tickets or anything, and I was the primary driver with over 20
years' driving experience).

My bank had some deal with Traveler's or someone, and when I called them, they
wouldn't even give us a quote becuase my husband didn't have sufficent US driving
experience. I wrote a letter to my bank telling them that I thought their policies
were discriminatory and stupid and two days later, some guy from the insurance
company calls me up to tell me that they "made a mistake"...since I was the primary
driver, they could offer me an attractive rate...I said, no thanks.

In NJ, I've heard that Liberty Mutual offers attractive rates if you are a member of
a credit union. When I lived there, I used NJ manufacturer's since I worked for one
of the former parts of ATT/Bell Labs, but you have to be employed by specific firms
in the state, and I have no idea what they do about foreign driving experience. NJ
manufactuers was dirt cheap.

In NC, we've gotten decent quotes from Geico, Progressive and maybe Prudential, but
decided to stay with Geico.

I can't believe how stupid this is. My husband has so much more driving training and
experience and skill than the local idiot on the road here...as do many Europeans
becuase it's so much harder to get a license there.

Elaine

Old Jun 6th 2001, 12:07 am
macs

Thanks for the information about NJ. I tried NJCURE which is a non-profit
organisation and they wanted to include my wife on the insurance even though she does
not drive here in the US or need to right now. It meant that to get a discount I
would have to get copies of driving records from other countries that my wife had
lived in. Too much hassle. Can;t wait to move from NJ! Still on the bright side gas
is cheaper than some states like CT.

>

[usenetquote2]> > Where can I find an insurer that will recognize my "foreign"[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]> > experience? I am currently insured with AIG who does, but AIG only[/usenetquote2]
    >
    >
[usenetquote2]> > driving experience, the insurance companies treat me like a person[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]> > years' experience, which is based only on how long you have had[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]> > driver's license. The premiums I am quoted are at least double[/usenetquote2]
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >