British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Auto insurance (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/auto-insurance-234079/)

anotherlimey Jun 2nd 2004 3:57 pm

Auto insurance

Can anyone recommend an insurance company that might give me a good insurance quote?

I received my US drivers license in NY on May 4th so it looks like I've just started driving to the insurance companies. I was wondering whether anyone knew of a good insurance company which might take my UK experience into account.

-tom

Englishmum Jun 2nd 2004 4:06 pm

Re: Auto insurance

Originally posted by anotherlimey
Can anyone recommend an insurance company that might give me a good insurance quote?

I received my US drivers license in NY on May 4th so it looks like I've just started driving to the insurance companies. I was wondering whether anyone knew of a good insurance company which might take my UK experience into account.

-tom
You will be very lucky indeed if you can find someone who will take your British driving experience into account. There isn't even a concept of 'no claims bonuses' in the USA.

This chain of insurance brokers (they're operating in many US States) will take on expatriate drivers - and we've always got the cheapest quotes from them compared to other brokers (you get a discount if you insure your house with the same company, ours is Chubb). Incidentally Chubb was brilliant when our video camcorder was stolen, got the cheque a week after reporting it online and a follow up call).

The brokers are called 'Personal Lines Insurance Brokers' and you just need to put in your zipcode to find your nearest branch. Do ask to speak with someone who has experience with expatriates newly resident in the US:

http://www.plib.com

Manc Jun 2nd 2004 4:06 pm

before you go out and buy a really nice car. buy an old banger for about $1000
just insure it for PLPD for a year and then you'll have some history.

can't help on the company, most over here seem to not want to touch Expats.

try talking to an actual agent and see if you can get them to appeal to their underwriters.

honeymommy Jun 2nd 2004 4:07 pm

We used allstate insurance....

They took our previous history into consideration and we got good rate... That was after 1 yr though, we did pay high premiums for the first year.

Hope that helps.

Ray Jun 2nd 2004 4:23 pm

Originally posted by honeymommy
We used allstate insurance....
They took our previous history into consideration and we got good rate... That was after 1 yr though, we did pay high premiums for the first year.
Hope that helps.
But did you use Allstate Insurance Company most likely it was
Allstate Indemnity Company their expensive arm.. sometimes they forget to tell people about the double system they operate.
Although they are not the only ones

http://www.allstateinsurancesucks.com/

honeymommy Jun 2nd 2004 4:32 pm

Just looked and it's indemnity......

Never had any problems with them and had really good rates...
Then again... never had any accidents or made any claims.... ROFL......
:D

Manc Jun 2nd 2004 4:35 pm

State Farm is the same
State Farm Mutual or State Farm Standard.

Ray Jun 2nd 2004 4:45 pm

Originally posted by manc1976
State Farm is the same
State Farm Mutual or State Farm Standard.
http://www.statefarmsucks.com/

Manc Jun 2nd 2004 4:48 pm

Originally posted by ray6
http://www.statefarmsucks.com/
I thank you.

John Murray Jun 2nd 2004 5:19 pm

I bought a car with International Autosource - and they put me in touch with AIG insurance.

I had to pay a $400 joining fee to AIG to access their suite of products - but they did take my UK driving experience into acccount.

I got a quote of around $500 for 6 months on a brand new car. Even with the $400 fee - the total cost ($900) was much cheaper than any other we received. After the end of 6 months I can renew without having to pay the $400 fee - only the insurance costs.

AIG also assist new residents in getting credit cards, cell phones, rental insurance etc. etc.

Lesley1020 Jun 2nd 2004 5:40 pm

I got mine via a Farmers Insurance Agent (also got good quote from Geico) - I had 90 days from date of commencement to get TN license and meantime I have liability only insurance and uninsured motorist and it is $84 per month.

www.farmers.com or www.geico.com

Originally posted by anotherlimey

-tom

Scarlett-Dallas Jun 2nd 2004 8:24 pm

I paid just over $1,500 for 6 months with Progressive two weeks ago. The insurance dealer told me no one else would insure me.

My father-in-law got on the case. Today All-State took me on for $700+.

I have a rebate coming from Progressive.

YAAAAAY!!!!

Ben Jun 2nd 2004 11:34 pm

Where in NY are you? We used Liberty Mutual but were put in touch with a particular branch because they were a friend of a friend and they gave us insurance at a competitive price. We also used them for our home insurance too. Been very good so far:)

Pulaski Jun 2nd 2004 11:50 pm

Originally posted by anotherlimey ...... I was wondering whether anyone knew of a good insurance company which might take my UK experience into account. ...
This is an old chestnut, often discussed here in the past. Please can I, again, dispell the myth that any insurance company in the US will take any notice what so ever of your British, or any non-US, driving history. They won't, period. .... Not ever.

What people who think that their British driving experience got them insurance/ cheaper insurance actually fell for was a sales pitch. If you tell someone that they can't get a good deal they will go elsewhere, and the last insurance comapny they get in touch with gets the business. If however you tell somebody that you are taking their British record into account they will likely take the deal you offer them, the fact that it is the same deal that they could have got anyway doesn't seem to occur to them.

Now you may say that I am just a cynic, but the above was confirmed by another member here (whose name I can't remember) who is married to an insurance broker - she confirmed the above - American insurers have no interest in non-US driving history.

Ray Jun 3rd 2004 3:17 am

Originally posted by Pulaski
Now you may say that I am just a cynic, but the above was confirmed by another member here (whose name I can't remember) who is married to an insurance broker - she confirmed the above - American insurers have no interest in non-US driving history.
Well I have have preferred you called me he..but no matter.. But yes my wife has been an insurance agent for 20+ years.. In fact thats how we met.. when she conned me with "yes we take your foreign driving into account" its just a baiting game...played by many..