Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Which auto insurance??

Which auto insurance??

Old Mar 6th 2004, 7:51 pm
Just Joined

katiaitaly is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Which auto insurance??

Does anybody know of a CAR INSURANCE COMPANY in Florida which takes in account the fact that I have 10 years of driving experience back in my country (Italy?), a clean driving records and never had an accident? So far I have been told that I don't have any driving history and therefore the premium will be the highest possible. What should I expect to pay for a normal coverage? Thank you very much
Old Mar 6th 2004, 8:11 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Which auto insurance??

Originally posted by katiaitaly
Does anybody know of a CAR INSURANCE COMPANY in Florida which takes in account the fact that I have 10 years of driving experience back in my country (Italy?), a clean driving records and never had an accident? So far I have been told that I don't have any driving history and therefore the premium will be the highest possible. What should I expect to pay for a normal coverage? Thank you very much
I used to work with several guys from Italy. From the number of dents in their cars, I'd say that 10 years of driving experience in Italy should give you HIGHER rates....

But seriously, do you have any documentation of your no claims? I don't know of any insurance company that will give you a no claims bonus based on a clean driving record elsewhere, but I have known some agents (e.g., State Farm) give you some extra breaks (e.g., "new customer" discount). I think that Geico, State Farm, and AAA have been good for many people on here.

We've had this question before, so a search might pull up these earlier threads. In the meantime, we have our very own State Farm agent on the site. I'm sure he'll be along soon to give you advice.
Old Mar 6th 2004, 8:25 pm
Sad old Crinkly Member

excpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond repute

We arrived 4 years back and despite trying every Insurance company in Florida none of them would give us a 'no claims discount'
As mentioned State farm gave us a discount for being a new customer plus one for having 2 cars with them and then a discount for having our house/contents insured with them too.
That's about the best we could do..
Old Mar 6th 2004, 10:18 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Unfortunately in Florida that is correct....My wife is an Insurance agent here for 20+ years and nowadays none will take previous record foreign driving records into account...a few of the dubious companies claim to, but its it bait and switch situation..

Before you get a US licence very few companies will insure you..Progressive is one, but you will have to get the US licence within 30 days..
Old Mar 6th 2004, 11:34 pm
Just Joined

SunnyDave is on a distinguished road

I arrived in Florida back in November and obviously had to get car insurance. I tried Geiko first but was told that they now have a policy that they will not take on any new non USC without an american driving history. They suggested I get insured elsewhere and after the 6m has expired, to go back to them for a quote.

I eventually went with Progressive who did actually give me a discount as I had evidence of 7 years no claims in the UK and faxed this to them prior to being covered. The 6m policy for me & my wife (driving on a learners permit) was $828 for the 6m. Still a lot more than I payed in the UK but $1500 cheaper than I had been quoted elsewhere. I think a lot of it boils down to the rep you speak to, the guy I spoke to went out of his way to try and help win the business...and it worked.

Dave
Old Mar 7th 2004, 3:56 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Sunny Dave..Progessive is basically a computer based insurance the agent and reps just fill in the boxes and the computer does the rest... The wife says there are no boxes for foreign records. A friend of ours from the UK just got his last week from Progressive cost him $878 without any previous record.. The ridiculous thing is yours was most likely cheaper as you wife was also on it... Make no sense to me either...