Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Auto Insurance

Auto Insurance

Old Apr 8th 2002, 10:37 am
Just Joined

Seely is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Auto Insurance

where can I get insurance on a truck and fifth registered in Florida using my British pasport.
Old Apr 8th 2002, 5:52 pm
Snagmor

Default Re: Auto Insurance

You can't. You need a Florida d/l and the vehicle must be registered in your name
(both of which in turn require a Florida address.)

Seely wrote:

> where can I get insurance on a truck and fifth registered in Florida using my
    > British pasport.
    >
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old Apr 9th 2002, 12:40 am
Just Joined

I don't think you are correct.

Last edited by Seely; Apr 9th 2002 at 12:44 am.
Old Apr 9th 2002, 12:51 am
Tinhutjohn

Try asking this question on misc.insurance.industry news group.

Old Apr 9th 2002, 1:28 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Seely
I don't think you are correct.
This question comes up at least once a month for one state or another, but the answer is always the same - you can't!

It is difficult enough to get insurance as an immigrant - several insurance companies turned me down because I hadn't lived in the US for three years.
Old Apr 9th 2002, 11:24 am
Just Joined

OK, the D/L is the key, using my UK D/L I obtain a FL D/L, address; mailboxes etc, with D/L can get Ins, with ins can get title & reg, is all that correct.
Old Apr 10th 2002, 12:47 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Seely
OK, the D/L is the key, using my UK D/L I obtain a FL D/L, address; mailboxes etc, with D/L can get Ins, with ins can get title & reg, is all that correct.
No, not correct.

In most states a UK driving licence entitles you to nothing, and in the rest very little. To get a licence in most states you will have to do at least a road test, and in order to register for that you need to establish residence in that state.

I considered trying to get a US licence in my fiancées home state when I still lived in the UK, but as just about every official form you will ever see here asks for your social security number (and you can't get one until you have established legal residence) it seemed like more trouble than it was worth.

On insurance I can't be sure, but I think that you will have problems getting insurance off a mailbox address.

Think about it. What do you think a British insurance company would say if you told them that you were neither a UK citizen nor resident, and had no UK driving experience, nor even of driving on the same side of the road, and wanted first-time insurance in the UK?

If you can get as far as registering for a drivers' licence and you have attended a driver vehicle licencing office to do a written test, you may have to wait a period of months for the road test. Just like the UK you can't expect to walk into an office a take the road test the same day. I had to drive to a town three hours away from New York city (still in New York state) to get a test ten days after I booked it.

I like your plans, but they ain't going to work.

Keep on looking, maybe there is a way, but it is difficult enough to get a licence and insurance when you are a new immigrant, let alone a non-resident with a mailbox address and no SS number.

Last edited by Pulaski; Apr 10th 2002 at 3:53 am.
Old Apr 10th 2002, 12:50 am
Tinhutjohn

misc.industry.insurance is a newsgroup. You have to subscribe to it in the "subscribe
to newsgroups" in Netscape. Not sure what you do in Microsoft's software. Perhaps
that didn't come thru clearly.

Old Apr 11th 2002, 2:20 am
Me

"Seely" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > OK, the D/L is the key, using my UK D/L I obtain a FL D/L, address; mailboxes etc,
    > with D/L can get Ins, with ins can get title & reg, is all that correct.

I believe you have to show proof of residency. To find out for sure, check the
Florida DMV's web site. Most states, including Florida have complete details on the
web about how to obtain a driver's license and register an auto there.