Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

auto driveaway

auto driveaway

Old Jan 7th 2004, 9:15 am
Forum Regular

Bald Badger is an unknown quantity at this point
Default auto driveaway

Anyone tried driveaway cars for get about the US? Where you deliver a car for somebody. I want to go from L.A. to Miami in a few weeks and have a bit of a Tiki tour at the same time… it looks a bloody long way though, also how long will it take me to get used to driving on the wrong side of the road? I bin drivin on the left for 40 years
Old Jan 7th 2004, 12:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

Ive never done it but I know people who think its great. Heard about one guy who wrote off a $110,000 porche, they just gave him another car!
You can certainly drive it in a couple of weeks, wont leave a lot of "touring" time but youd have some. And driving on the right side of the road is easy in a left hand drive car, the biggest problem is looking in the rear mirror, for a couple of weeks Id go to do it but look out of the window!
Old Jan 7th 2004, 1:46 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: auto driveaway

Originally posted by Bald Badger
Anyone tried driveaway cars for get about the US? Where you deliver a car for somebody. I want to go from L.A. to Miami in a few weeks and have a bit of a Tiki tour at the same time… it looks a bloody long way though, also how long will it take me to get used to driving on the wrong side of the road? I bin drivin on the left for 40 years
Can't help you with the "driveaway cars" part of your post but as for getting accustomed to driving in the US, only you can answer how long it would take.

I think the number of years of driving (on the lefthand side of the road) is irrelevant really. A great number of native born Americans who've only ever driven in the US demonstrate incompetency driving on their own roads (you'll find out when you start driving), so it probably won't take long for you to get accustomed to American roads.

Then again, perusal of some states (the driving laws vary from state to state) "drivers handbook" or equivalent probably wouldn't go amiss. I can bet you that a good number of Americans who've passed their driving test never even flicked through their state drivers handbook before sitting the (sign and written) test.

NC Penguin
Old Jan 7th 2004, 3:31 pm
Rock Goddess

Rockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond repute

I've adapted surprisingly quickly to driving on the wrong side. I was worried I'd not know which lane to go in but it's all natural now after only a few weeks. Only problem I do have is keeping in the middle of the lane. I always seem to drift to the right and I have to stop myself. I am just so used to being on the right of the lane and it's the one thing I can't seem to stop doing. I have to constantly check my position and correct it but I suppose it will just take time.

Driving someone elses car across America sounds like brilliant fun! I'm jealous!
Old Jan 8th 2004, 3:48 am
Just Joined

Limbo is an unknown quantity at this point

Driving is fine once you get used to no clutch and wrong side of road etc been in texas four weeks and passed the driving test today with no effort at all. The strangest thing for me was the large cars, being used to my little renault clio at home I now have to get used to a much larger car. Your plan to drive across country sounds great wouldn't mind having a go of that myself.