Auto clubs

Old Jun 29th 2006, 5:53 am
Forum Regular

Drebin is a glorious beacon of lightDrebin is a glorious beacon of lightDrebin is a glorious beacon of lightDrebin is a glorious beacon of lightDrebin is a glorious beacon of lightDrebin is a glorious beacon of lightDrebin is a glorious beacon of lightDrebin is a glorious beacon of lightDrebin is a glorious beacon of lightDrebin is a glorious beacon of lightDrebin is a glorious beacon of light
Default Auto clubs

Is there much to choose between these places?

'AAA' seem to be the most popular, well known one.

I'm tempted to go with Allstate's 'motor club' though. They do my insurance, and their package seems similar enough to AAA's.

Any opinions/advice on them? These places all seem to be a reasonable ~$50 a month, which is pretty good value given the peace of mind if your car conks out... Thanks.
Old Jun 29th 2006, 10:46 am
UK & US Citizen

ScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Auto clubs

Originally Posted by Drebin
Is there much to choose between these places?

'AAA' seem to be the most popular, well known one.

I'm tempted to go with Allstate's 'motor club' though. They do my insurance, and their package seems similar enough to AAA's.

Any opinions/advice on them? These places all seem to be a reasonable ~$50 a month, which is pretty good value given the peace of mind if your car conks out... Thanks.
Depending on the age of your vehicle, roadside assistance may be included as part of the warranty.
Old Jun 29th 2006, 11:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

$50 a month? Last time I checked, AAA was about that a year for basic individual coverage.
Old Jun 29th 2006, 12:37 pm
Bloody Yank

RoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond repute

If you'd like to have your motoring club privileges while abroad, I'd be inclined to choose AAA. AAA affiliates with foreign clubs such as the RAC and AA, which will give you reciprocal privileges.

Case in point: I used my AAA membership in NZ in order to get maps, travel guides, etc. gratis from its branch of AA. Although I didn't end up needing to use it, I would have had access to breakdown service while in Australia, where I had owned a car. I doubt that Allstate and the other clubs have these international affiliations -- AAA is an "official" motoring club of sorts -- although you might like to confirm if this is important to you.

AAA also offers an abundance of free maps and "Tour Books" accomodation listings for US, Canada and parts of Mexico. It also has reasonable (although not exceptional) discounts on hotels, car rentals through Hertz, admission fees, etc..

If you live in California, AAA provides free DMV services (i.e. car registration, license plates, etc.) which alone is probably reason enough to have it. Much better and faster service than you'd ever get from the DMV itself.
Old Jun 29th 2006, 3:35 pm
Forum Regular

Caligirl4ever is just really niceCaligirl4ever is just really niceCaligirl4ever is just really niceCaligirl4ever is just really niceCaligirl4ever is just really niceCaligirl4ever is just really niceCaligirl4ever is just really niceCaligirl4ever is just really niceCaligirl4ever is just really niceCaligirl4ever is just really nice

I'm have switch from the AAA to Good Sam CVP. The price of $59.00 per year covers you, your spouse and 1 student. Also, you don't have to pay extra for towing if you are beyond the 5 mile mark like AAA charges.

https://www.cvponline.com/join/index.cfm
Old Jun 29th 2006, 3:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

dinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to behold

The latest Consumer Reports gives a good run down of the pros and cons of the different options. Can't recall the detail as don't have it here, but do remember that after reading it felt that my AAA membership was not the worst opton - have found them fine the couple of times we've had to use them.
Old Jun 29th 2006, 6:37 pm
Forum Regular

Drebin is a glorious beacon of lightDrebin is a glorious beacon of lightDrebin is a glorious beacon of lightDrebin is a glorious beacon of lightDrebin is a glorious beacon of lightDrebin is a glorious beacon of lightDrebin is a glorious beacon of lightDrebin is a glorious beacon of lightDrebin is a glorious beacon of lightDrebin is a glorious beacon of lightDrebin is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Duncan Roberts
$50 a month? Last time I checked, AAA was about that a year for basic individual coverage.
Agh, yep I meant per year...

Thanks for the info everyone!
Old Jun 29th 2006, 7:10 pm
Guttural Brumerican

Titchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond repute

We have AAA and it's paid for itself ever since we had it. Everything from eyeglasses (buy one pair get another free) to free sneakers (buy 2 pairs, get the third pair free) - Oh, and their roadside assistance is pretty good too.
Old Jun 29th 2006, 11:43 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Had a mate that used AAA, had to be a member for a year before being allowed to get the AAA+ service, which got you 100 miles free towing, but till then, it was 3 miles, plus however much per mile there after, which weren't much fun when his car broke down after 10 months...though I don't know all the rates and packages they offer, he could well have been a tight wad