Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Autism and US immigration

Autism and US immigration

Old Dec 24th 2012, 3:40 pm
Just Joined

BabyB is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Autism and US immigration

Hey folks, looking for some information or advice...

QUESTION # 1
I'm autistic (officially diagnosed via NHS, so it's on my medical records) - I'm looking at immigrating to the US via marriage visa, but I'm concerned as a few sources have suggested that if US immigration find out that I'm autistic they may deny me my visa. Obviously this has me really worried.

If this is true, is there any way for them to find out I'm autistic?

QUESTION #2
I'm concerned about health insurance once I'm in the US, I know a lot of autistic people in the US either don't get official diagnosis or get diagnosis off-record to avoid problems. I don't know how you get your medical records from one country to the next (or if you really need to if there's no serious long-term health problems doctors need to know about).

Basically, will my autism diagnosis will follow me to the US?
Old Dec 24th 2012, 3:59 pm
Mouthy Yank

Speedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Autism and US immigration

Originally Posted by BabyB
Hey folks, looking for some information or advice...

QUESTION # 1
I'm autistic (officially diagnosed via NHS, so it's on my medical records) - I'm looking at immigrating to the US via marriage visa, but I'm concerned as a few sources have suggested that if US immigration find out that I'm autistic they may deny me my visa. Obviously this has me really worried.

If this is true, is there any way for them to find out I'm autistic?

QUESTION #2
I'm concerned about health insurance once I'm in the US, I know a lot of autistic people in the US either don't get official diagnosis or get diagnosis off-record to avoid problems. I don't know how you get your medical records from one country to the next (or if you really need to if there's no serious long-term health problems doctors need to know about).

Basically, will my autism diagnosis will follow me to the US?
BabyB, the one other time I saw a reference to this, the woman immigrating had a different issue (depression, I think). It was suggested that she get an official letter from her physician certifying her fitness to get a visa and immigrate. Since a medical examination is part of the visa process, you would give the letter to the doctor to go in your visa package. Get two original letters if you can so you can keep one.

As far as insurance coverage, it varies widely based on whether you have coverage through your employer or your spouse's employer, or through some other, rarer, coverage system. I'm not familiar with the stigmatizing "problems" you mention for autistic people; as a (temporary) major depression/anxiety sufferer, I didn't have such problems myself. There is a law here that you can't be discriminated against at work for a covered disability, including a mental illness for which you are receiving treatment. Compliance with the law varies to some extent, but my employer was responsible about it and allowed me a significant accommodation (working from home through the company VPN to do software support).

Maybe you could give us more information on the discrimination you expect to encounter, especially official discrimination. Others here may know more about what you should expect specifically in the immigration process.

Do you have any reason to believe that the diagnosis is wrong, and that you should not be considered autistic in the US? If you think the diagnosis is correct, then you are doing your mental health as much a disservice by ignoring it as you would by attempting to ignore a broken leg. Try not to be frightened by other people's reports of problems. Remember that they're exceptions, not the rule. Don't borrow trouble.

Edit: I just called and spoke to an autistic friend in California who says he has not experienced any discrimination or official "problems" resulting from his own diagnosis. He says not to lie to the immigration officials... for one thing you're no good at it If you are not directly asked, you do not have to mention it. If you are directly asked, you should have the letter from your doctor as evidence you are fit.

Last edited by Speedwell; Dec 24th 2012 at 4:13 pm. Reason: Report results of chat with autistic friend
Old Dec 25th 2012, 3:53 am
Forum Regular

The Earl of Drumer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Earl of Drumer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Earl of Drumer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Earl of Drumer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Earl of Drumer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Earl of Drumer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Earl of Drumer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Earl of Drumer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Earl of Drumer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Earl of Drumer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Earl of Drumer has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Autism and US immigration

What sources have you been listening to? They seem to be scaremongering or confused, if they feel simply having autism is enough for a denial (and what kind do you have? You're clearly high functioning). I have Asperger's and I made sure I had a letter from my local GP stating that whilst I have that condition it wasn't a major issue and I wasn't a danger to anybody. I told the Doctor at the medical, gave her the letter and she thanked me for it, then moved on with the rest of the test.

So yes, there's no real reason to be worried at this stage or further on down the line as long as you're honest and aren't a danger.

I was put on my wife's health insurance in the US since she's a teacher, and I simply requested a copy of my records and brought them across with me prior. Not sure how relevant a lot of them were (and I already had my shots printed out from the medical) but I suppose better than nothing.