Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Authoritative Bullying at Arlington.

Authoritative Bullying at Arlington.

Old Aug 24th 2002, 11:33 am
Forum Regular

ralph is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Authoritative Bullying at Arlington.

My wife met a nigerian lady who had her AOS interview done at Arlington last week.

At the end of a 45 minute interview, a green card was stamped on the immigrant's passport alright. However, it was the rather odd and intrusive line of questioning by the official that brings me to post on this forum.

According to the couple, most of the questions asked were about her sex life.

The visibly pregnant lady was asked questions like " when was the last time you had sex, how often do you normally have sex. Why are you having a baby now" etc... Even bizzare is the fact that the INS official ridiculed the medical documents describing her previous miscarriage.

Isnt this line of questioning against the law these days? Or was it convenient just because the immigrants were from Nigeria?

How and to whom does one direct complaints of such unacceptable behavior by the INS?

ralph
Old Aug 24th 2002, 2:33 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Authoritative Bullying at Arlington.

The name of this type of question is on the tip of my fingers but I'll be damned if I can type it out. This type of question is not unusual if the examiner is suspicious of the marriage. Ahh it is the Stokes line of questioning ;-)

In fact one couple from the newsgroup who had an infant with them at their interview in Baltimore had the results of their AOS interview placed on hold until a DNA test was done to prove that the USC husband was the biological father of the child.

You can file a formal complaint against the agent with the Internal Unit in Washington, DC. There is a form on the INS website to be used for this purpose.

Rete

Originally posted by ralph:
My wife met a nigerian lady who had her AOS interview done at Arlington last week.

At the end of a 45 minute interview, a green card was stamped on the immigrant's passport alright. However, it was the rather odd and intrusive line of questioning by the official that brings me to post on this forum.

According to the couple, most of the questions asked were about her sex life.

The visibly pregnant lady was asked questions like " when was the last time you had sex, how often do you normally have sex. Why are you having a baby now" etc... Even bizzare is the fact that the INS official ridiculed the medical documents describing her previous miscarriage.

Isnt this line of questioning against the law these days? Or was it convenient just because the immigrants were from Nigeria?

How and to whom does one direct complaints of such unacceptable behavior by the INS?

ralph
Old Aug 24th 2002, 4:29 pm
Jonathan_atc

They treat a lot of people this way. Not everybody, but a lot from what I have
heard. And YES, it has something to do with them being from Africa, I believe. Many
third world country's people get treated poorly by DOS and DOJ. I am shocked at some
of the questions they ask people.

We were very lucky that we were barely questioned at our AOS interview. They were
training an agent and they did everything by the book and pretty quickly. They did
not ask us any untoward questions other than those on the forms about prostitution
and terroristic leanings.

I feel sorry for people from those countries that "they" "pick on" so much. At least
they got the I-551 Stamp in the end. Must have satisfied the agent's curiosity about
Nigerian sex life. Freaks!

--
Jonathan_ATC "ralph" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > My wife met a nigerian lady who had her AOS interview done at Arlington last week.
    > At the end of a 45 minute interview, a green card was stamped on the immigrant's
    > passport alright. However, it was the rather odd and intrusive line of questioning
    > by the official that brings me to post on this forum.
    > According to the couple, most of the questions asked were about her sex life.
    > The visibly pregnant lady was asked questions like " when was the last time you
    > had sex, how often do you normally have sex. Why are you having a baby now" etc...
    > Even bizzare is the fact that the INS official ridiculed the medical documents
    > describing her previous miscarriage.
    > Isnt this line of questioning against the law these days? Or was it convenient
    > just because the immigrants were from Nigeria?
    > How and to whom does one direct complaints of such unacceptable behavior by
    > the INS?
    > ralph
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old Aug 25th 2002, 8:53 am
Grinch

"Jonathan_ATC" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
anews.com

. They did not ask us any untoward questions other than those on the
    > forms about prostitution and terroristic leanings.

It was a damn good idea that you gave up the prostitution ring you were running
eh Jonathan?

Mail me!

Grinch

Old Aug 25th 2002, 4:49 pm
Jonathan_atc

Give it up? Was I supposed to give it up? I mean, they only asked Che-Ning, they
didn't ask me anything like that question. Besides, they were just questions. They
don't do any investigation. Anyone who HAS done anything wrong would not be stupid
enough to answer in the affirmative, would they?

--
Jonathan_ATC "Grinch" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
.itd.earthlink.net
    > "Jonathan_ATC" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
    > .giganews.com
    > . They did not ask us any untoward questions other than those on the
    > > forms about prostitution and terroristic leanings.
    > It was a damn good idea that you gave up the prostitution ring you were running eh
    > Jonathan?
    > Mail me!
    > Grinch

Old Aug 26th 2002, 3:12 am
mjones

Dear Ralph, This did not happen to you or your wife, therefore it is not a direct
experience of this newsgoup. Please post only FIRST HAND, DIRECT EXPERIENCES to the
newgroup. Please do not post second hand experiences to the newsgroup. Is there any
way I can make this more clear? Mike
-_
http://www.txdirect.net/users/-
mike38/k1faq.htm
htt-
p://www.txdirect.net/users/mike38/faq_index.htm

On Sat, 24 Aug 2002 11:33:20 +0000, ralph <[email protected]> wrote:
    >My wife met a nigerian lady who had her AOS interview done at Arlington last week.
(...blah , blah, blah...)
    >Isnt this line of questioning against the law these days? Or was it convenient
    >just because the immigrants were from Nigeria?
(ditto on blah...)
    >How and to whom does one direct complaints of such unacceptable behavior
    >by the INS?

Old Aug 26th 2002, 6:46 am
Albertacanuck

Ralph,

Sorry to hear about your rough time. I too am going through the Arlington office,and
everytime I go there its humilliating. The fact that we are forced to stand outside
regardless of weather, and wait long hours before the sun even comes up to get a '
chance ' at being talked down to by someone that may be able to atten d to our
situation is degrading. The problem is that they have a a small, dirty cramped
office and literally thousands of immigrants to process in the DC area. In the few
times I have gone down there, I have witnessed other people get a rough time from the
INS officers and even the security guards.

Luckily with the help of some of the people on this NG and some careful planning,I
have had no real problems other then the above mentioned. One thing of note / luck
is that for unforseen reasons, I was unable to attend my AOS appointment on the
scheduled day. We went down there the next day, hoping to talk to someone, and
luckily, they granted us my apointment! I recieved my AOS that day without a hitch.
The whole thing took about 1/2 hour.

Stantton

ralph <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
    > My wife met a nigerian lady who had her AOS interview done at Arlington last week.
    > At the end of a 45 minute interview, a green card was stamped on the immigrant's
    > passport alright. However, it was the rather odd and intrusive line of questioning
    > by the official that brings me to post on this forum.
    > According to the couple, most of the questions asked were about her sex life.
    > The visibly pregnant lady was asked questions like " when was the last time you
    > had sex, how often do you normally have sex. Why are you having a baby now" etc...
    > Even bizzare is the fact that the INS official ridiculed the medical documents
    > describing her previous miscarriage.
    > Isnt this line of questioning against the law these days? Or was it convenient
    > just because the immigrants were from Nigeria?
    > How and to whom does one direct complaints of such unacceptable behavior by
    > the INS?
    > ralph