Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

australian forum

Wikiposts

australian forum

Old May 20th 2007, 7:21 pm
Jedi Princess

kiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: australian forum

Originally Posted by paulrachel
We are Yorkshire folk. Definatley going back there. How i miss the place. Perth doesn't compare in any way. You can keep the beaches and the wind.

What about you, ever going back?
I spent most my life in NZ. I only spent a year in UK back in the late 80s, but I feel more of an affinity with UK than OZ. I may go back to NZ and see how it goes but I have concerns about low wages there. I think there might be more opportunities, money and a better quality of life in the UK, but going there with only a couple of grand (pounds) to back me up and not being able to fufil part 2 of Habitual Residency Test scares me a little as none of us can live without money. I'd need to find work fast or I'd be in the shite. I think about the UK option a lot and in the end might just have to take the gamble for my own sanity. Living in OZ for much longer is not an option for me if I want to maintain my mental health.
Old May 20th 2007, 7:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond repute

The low wages in NZ are a big concern for many here KC.
Lots of migrants are lead to believe that it matches the cost of living-it doesn't, not any more.
The 5 yrs we have been here, wages have not risen at all. House prices as you probably know have doubled, along with most other things.
Each year it becomes harder and harder to manage the bills.
Unless you have lots and lots of cash, it will be one huge uphill struggle.
Old May 20th 2007, 7:35 pm
Jedi Princess

kiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rascal
Lots of migrants are lead to believe that it matches the cost of living-it doesn't, not any more.
The 5 yrs we have been here, wages have not risen at all. House prices as you probably know have doubled, along with most other things.
Yep these things are a concern for sure. It saddens me that this is the case in my homeland. Truth is though housing affordability in OZ isn't any better. There may have been tax cuts here but only this latest (election year) budget gave any real relief to lower and middle income workers, and that gets lost in the 3 mortgage interest hikes and fuel price spikes that have taken place over the last 12 months.
Old May 20th 2007, 7:54 pm
Account Closed

Nomore is an unknown quantity at this point

Poor wages....christ that is an under-statemant!!!

My hubby sub-contracts and his wage is so poor we may have to sell our house to make ends meet. $2,800 for a whole month he got this time. WTF. Get more working in McDonalds.!!!

What is wrong with this place behind the times is also an understatement...my son brought home a letter saying his school photo will be taken soon, they want money now. But what if you don't like the photo's. Back in UK you payed after you looked at them to make sure you liked them. Idiots!!
Old May 20th 2007, 8:00 pm
Account Closed

TraceyW is an unknown quantity at this point

What is wrong with this place behind the times is also an understatement...my son brought home a letter saying his school photo will be taken soon, they want money now. But what if you don't like the photo's. Back in UK you payed after you looked at them to make sure you liked them. Idiots!!
Carramar school does that. So, I tick the "No" box, don't send any money and they still take their photo's but you get to see them first and order copies!! Bloody mad.
Old May 20th 2007, 8:02 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TraceyW
Carramar school does that. So, I tick the "No" box, don't send any money and they still take their photo's but you get to see them first and order copies!! Bloody mad.
Thats a great tip Tracey, thanks. It always grates me sending the money in first I have to say.
Old May 21st 2007, 8:03 am
BE Forum Addict

Rascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond repute

Poor wages....christ that is an under-statemant!!!
I know, was trying to soften the blow!
Its not only become difficult to survive here but impossible.
Old May 21st 2007, 5:15 pm
Jedi Princess

I know, was trying to soften the blow!
Its not only become difficult to survive here but impossible.
Rachael and Paul are in Perth. So the wages she is referring to are Aussie rates of pay not actually NZ wage rates.
Old May 21st 2007, 6:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by kiwi_child
Rachael and Paul are in Perth. So the wages she is referring to are Aussie rates of pay not actually NZ wage rates.
I bet they would be even more shocked then if they came to NZ then!
Was talking to a kiwi woman at work today, wondered why the heck we had chosen to come to NZ! Her 2 sisters live in OZ, her brother lives in Canada, none will ever return to Nz she says.
She was really having a go at NZ and its wages v cost of living and said she didn't blame any migrant who comes to NZ then leaves again.
Old May 21st 2007, 7:55 pm
Jedi Princess

I bet they would be even more shocked then if they came to NZ then!
Was talking to a kiwi woman at work today, wondered why the heck we had chosen to come to NZ! Her 2 sisters live in OZ, her brother lives in Canada, none will ever return to Nz she says.
She was really having a go at NZ and its wages v cost of living and said she didn't blame any migrant who comes to NZ then leaves again.
Yeah I've heard and read about the great kiwi govt experiment that resulted in wages getting slashed by up to 45% a few years back. OZ is not a hell of a lot better off these days. It's ok if you are a high earner of course or are in the resources industries (while the chinese driven boom lasts), but other that this many find it more of a struggle than they anticipated it would be.
Old May 21st 2007, 8:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

A woman at work today (kiwi) has both her 2 sisters living in Oz and a brother in Canada, she hadn't anything nice to say about the current NZ government or NZ's low wages.
It really is bad here with very very low wages and rapidly increasing prices.
I pity anyone coming out here with little money believing it to be cheap cost of living. It isn't, not any more.
We have been offered three times what we can earn here if we go to OZ.
Old May 22nd 2007, 3:36 pm
Jedi Princess

We have been offered three times what we can earn here if we go to OZ.
Well that's certainly an incentive I'd say. What line of work are you in?
Old May 22nd 2007, 7:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by kiwi_child
Well that's certainly an incentive I'd say. What line of work are you in?
It certainly is.
Same company, same team of men, just different location. Hubby is a Snr Qs/project manager (building construction/residential & commercial)
Gotta grab it with both hands, eldest wants to move to Oz once he finished his degree too, so doing all this for kids really.
We would both go back to Uk tomorrow if we could.
Old May 27th 2007, 12:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

megansmummy has a reputation beyond reputemegansmummy has a reputation beyond reputemegansmummy has a reputation beyond reputemegansmummy has a reputation beyond reputemegansmummy has a reputation beyond reputemegansmummy has a reputation beyond reputemegansmummy has a reputation beyond reputemegansmummy has a reputation beyond reputemegansmummy has a reputation beyond reputemegansmummy has a reputation beyond reputemegansmummy has a reputation beyond repute

Have to say im shocked at the amount of people that dislike Perth as everyone ive spoke to have nothing but good things to say about it. It was also somewehere we did think about going to so im glad to be on here now as i certainly wouldnt now!!

I guess each to their own though as people bang on about & how great it is but in my opinion i think its awful. The people are too laid back to care about you & the selfish attitude grates me.

Im so glad to have found this site, well all of BE really, as im now in the process of meeting english people in the same boat as me!

Heres to hoping it forms some friendships!
Old May 27th 2007, 5:25 pm
Jedi Princess

Originally Posted by megansmummy
Have to say im shocked at the amount of people that dislike Perth as everyone ive spoke to have nothing but good things to say about it. It was also somewehere we did think about going to so im glad to be on here now as i certainly wouldnt now!!

I guess each to their own though as people bang on about & how great it is but in my opinion i think its awful. The people are too laid back to care about you & the selfish attitude grates me.

Im so glad to have found this site, well all of BE really, as im now in the process of meeting english people in the same boat as me!

Heres to hoping it forms some friendships!
I have to tell you that I lived in Brisbane for a wee while and I found the locals a lot more friendly than they are over here in Perth. I just couldn't handle the humidity there! In Perth they walk around as though they're trying to convince themselves and everyone else they are important. Even in the burbs on the weekend they seem to get dressed up to go to the supermarket

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.