Hi south...do you have MSN messenger?
No I don't sorry, I have to be careful I'm on my works computer
(Ssh! dont tell my boss...lol)
Old Jan 30th 2003, 7:09 pm
The Dogs bollox

southcoast is an unknown quantity at this point
Wink

Originally posted by SJones30
See...this is what my hubby said..he works for a Telecommunications company too...lol its probably the same one you work for!! he said that i can get a job out there no problem, he much rather want me working in there than somewhere outdoor with a bunch of blokes! So i dont know what i wanna do...im confused???
GO TELECOMMUNICATIONS.....100%

I work with the nicest bunch of people, we work in SBC offices, so its great working conditions. Pay is not to good because of the economy, but it should pick up soon.

You would love it, trust me!
Old Jan 30th 2003, 7:23 pm
Little Stick of Dynamite!

SJones30 is an unknown quantity at this point

Ok no worries about messenger.

My hubby works for Alltel, he works as an IT help desk, strange hours but the pay is really good.

I think i'll probably will work there, make my hubby happy lol he says it wont be a problem finding a job in that co.

We talked about moving down to Dallas, he lived there for a few years and has always said that he wouldnt mind living down there. We come every year to visit his friend in Euless. i like dallas..its much more exciting than Little Rock lol
Old Jan 31st 2003, 5:32 am
Just Joined

bikinikitty is an unknown quantity at this point

so southcoast, how did you go about getting into telecommunications? Did you have to go back to schoool? for how long. if muzz has to go back to school, we will be broke for while cuz i don't have any certificates or degrees so even me working full time would bring in a pretty lame income. And here we thought moving to america would be better finacially than here. cuz we heard that sparkys make more money there then here ( we live in perth) talk to you soon.
Old Jan 31st 2003, 3:52 pm
The Dogs bollox

Originally posted by bikinikitty
so southcoast, how did you go about getting into telecommunications? Did you have to go back to schoool? for how long. if muzz has to go back to school, we will be broke for while cuz i don't have any certificates or degrees so even me working full time would bring in a pretty lame income. And here we thought moving to america would be better finacially than here. cuz we heard that sparkys make more money there then here ( we live in perth) talk to you soon.
No I didn't have to go back to school, I got into this by a little bit of lady luck.

I had a interview based on my electrical qualifications, they said I would start on Level one pay...but as I progressed so would my wages. The company I work for, installs fiber optic systems for major telecomm companys. My first offer though would of ment working all over the states (Cal,Seattle, even N.Dakota) I declined because my wife was due with our daughter. A few weeks later I had a phone call from my company saying they were really impressed with my interview, and could offer me a job working with Engineers and managers on new projects, its more of a office job, that involves getting materials and tools ready, but I also do quite a bit of daily travelling.

Its really cool, because I run 3 warehouses, I have my own desk and comp etc, so really my job is just about organsing now rather than 'hands on' work.

There are a few installers here, that was ex-sparkys, that adapted VERY quickly, it means starting at basic pay but they learn't very quickly and because they travel they get per diem, meal allowance, etc, so there is potenial to earn really good wages.

Your husband has been a sparky for 13 years, he will have really good common sense, that is all that you need in Telecomm's, just work at a good steady pace, and be willing to learn and adapt.
Old Feb 7th 2003, 1:43 pm
Just Joined

Sandman is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, Sorry to butt in on this chat, I could do with some info.

As this post seems to link both my my problems you may help.

I am still in the UK but I really want to get away from here now.

Oz and US are both places I would like to consider to move to but I seem to have hit a brick wall.

Not knowing alot about emmigration but knowing that Sparks always help each other could I get some help from you.

Is it right for the US I need a Job before I apply to live there??

Does this apply to Oz.

As I have seen a Oz Electrician trying to get into the US, is Oz really worth emmigrating too??

I have always found best advise from the ppls who do the same Job.

Cheers for the info.

Sandman
Old Feb 7th 2003, 2:24 pm
The Dogs bollox

Default electrical work

Hey Sandman,

The U.S and Oz have completley different immigration standards.

The chances of you contacting a U.S electrical company and getting a job lined up before you come over, is between slim and none.

This is not to discourage you, but its the way it is. An american company has to prove that in their line of work, that they justify paying someone from another country to do the work. There is high unemployment here right now, plenty of sparks and not much work.

To live and work in the U.S, you need to be married to a U.S citizen, or have a job already lined up, there may be different ways to do it, but I should imagine there is a huge amount of paperwork involved.

You could go to Oz on a 12 month work visa (I done this in 1998),
Contact the Australian embassy in london, you have to have some money saved up to do this through. Once you get there you can do any work you want as long as you have a tax number.
It is my understanding that Oz's economy is also very slow, with high unemployment rates so again, it may be very hard to get electrical work.

put out some questions in the Oz forum above, ex-pats there can give you better answers regarding work and economy etc.

Good luck on which ever path you choose, but I think Oz would be the easier of the two to get electrical work right now.