Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Australia voted 2nd best in world for quality of life

Australia voted 2nd best in world for quality of life

Old Oct 21st 2009, 8:41 am
Weirdo Latin Dude

Jules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Australia voted 2nd best in world for quality of life

Originally Posted by the troubadour
Denmark ranks as a nation that constantly rates high or top of many emotional well being ratings. Reasons for this are usually given as a greater equality from school through to gender and far less disparity between the earnings of those on the top from those on the bottom.
A little difficult to always measure the things of the world that we can only see and count.Instead of Gross National Product the King of Bhutan talks on Gross National Happiness. How good is that? Concentrate on immaterial successes as well as material.
How people feel about themselves and world around them is a great part to what constitutes happiness way above the weather and wealth factors,i would say.
in wealth dist
Denmark seems to have a slightly higher standard of living than Sweden and is the most southerly of the Scandinavian countries (important for daylight hours) I would suggest the emotional well being, strong economy, lack of disparity, not so severe climate (Even if the film Babette' s Feast suggests otherwise) to be strong factors in all this. I`ve often thought if I had to move to northern Europe which country would I choose, Denmark would certainly be among the my first choices.

Many years ago I watched a documentary on Bhutan and the whole concept of gross national happiness is certainly something to think about.

Last edited by Jules Europe; Oct 21st 2009 at 8:45 am.
Old Oct 21st 2009, 4:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by the troubadour
Denmark ranks as a nation that constantly rates high or top of many emotional well being ratings. Reasons for this are usually given as a greater equality from school through to gender and far less disparity between the earnings of those on the top from those on the bottom.
A little difficult to always measure the things of the world that we can only see and count.Instead of Gross National Product the King of Bhutan talks on Gross National Happiness. How good is that? Concentrate on immaterial successes as well as material.
How people feel about themselves and world around them is a great part to what constitutes happiness way above the weather and wealth factors,i would say.
in wealth dist
The have a good open attitude to sex as well. Much prefer that to the repressed/salacious view here and in UK.
Old Nov 9th 2009, 3:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
The have a good open attitude to sex as well. Much prefer that to the repressed/salacious view here and in UK.
Indeed. Wonder if USA is not worse in that respect than UK?
Old Nov 14th 2009, 3:54 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nu-Shooz
But why do those who are very happy in OZ spend their time looking for surveys to prove they chose the best place to live, weirdo's

Shouldn't they be on the beach or summat, showing their hairy bits.
Same reason someone would move back to the yookay, live a supposedly blissful life, and then spend a lot of their spare time posting on a forum for expats, when ermm, they're not one any more. I guess.

I was at the beach today, but I don't think the world's ready for my hairy bits.
Old Nov 14th 2009, 6:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hutch
Same reason someone would move back to the yookay, live a supposedly blissful life, and then spend a lot of their spare time posting on a forum for expats, when ermm, they're not one any more. I guess.

I was at the beach today, but I don't think the world's ready for my hairy bits.
If you ask me, people post polls because they find them interesting.... they are moving to, or living in a country which features in the poll. I don't really take notice of them, but I can see why particular cities notionally feature high in them.
Old Nov 16th 2009, 12:12 am
Banned

Lord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond repute

I don't really think someone with over 10,000 posts is really in a position to question those that spend a lot of their spare time posting on here.
Old Nov 16th 2009, 12:13 am
BE Enthusiast

simongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond repute

Your happiness does not depend on lists of countries. There are many people in Norway who are not happy. Do you think they look at the 'best country to live in list' and tell themselves to get over it? Australia is probably a great country (never been, but I will be going in 2010) and many people are trying to get into the USA to work, but that doesn't mean anything. Somedays I HATE living in the USA (just look at some of my previous posts). I just wish many people on BE would stop looking to others to confirm their choices about where they want to live (and in the process wind everyone up!). If you want to return to the UK, great. If you want to stay in Australia, fantastic. If you want to come to the USA, awesome. No country will solve your problems. If your marriage is rocky, moving to Nevada will not help you. If you're depressed, you'll be depressed in Sydney. You take yourself wherever you go. Not everyone has to agree with your decisions (and I'm not addressing the OP, I'm just talking in general here). Just be happy. Life is short.
Old Nov 16th 2009, 12:18 am
BE Enthusiast

simongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond repute

LOL. Why is that? Why do some people keep posting on here after they're supposedly living in bliss in the UK? They keep telling us it's the best decision they ever made.

If I were lucky enough to move back, I would be enjoying my life and not posting on here. No disrespect to BE!
Old Nov 16th 2009, 12:25 am
BE Enthusiast

hereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by simongb
LOL. Why is that? Why do some people keep posting on here after they're supposedly living in bliss in the UK? They keep telling us it's the best decision they ever made.

If I were lucky enough to move back, I would be enjoying my life and not posting on here. No disrespect to BE!
What's the luck element, Simon? Can you not just start looking for work and make it happen, or are you restricted?
Old Nov 16th 2009, 6:45 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lord_Farquar
I don't really think someone with over 10,000 posts is really in a position to question those that spend a lot of their spare time posting on here.
Indeed - 10,000 posts in nearly five years. And you've managed nearly 1,000 in three months.
Old Nov 16th 2009, 7:50 am
Banned

Lord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond repute

Indeed - 10,000 posts in nearly five years. And you've managed nearly 1,000 in three months.
Never said I didn't spend too much time on here.
Old Nov 16th 2009, 2:06 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by simongb

Maybe for the same reason they post when happy in Aus/Canada/USA etc - friendship, helping out others in a similar position, a desire to share what they have learnt?
Old Nov 18th 2009, 12:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

jonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Maybe for the same reason they post when happy in Aus/Canada/USA etc - friendship, helping out others in a similar position, a desire to share what they have learnt?
Exactly, I will always post about how well things are going, if someone wants advice or encouragment about moving back. Pretty much what this part of the forum is all about really