Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Austin Tx driving licence

Austin Tx driving licence

Old Oct 27th 2014, 4:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

jjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Austin Tx driving licence

Originally Posted by Pulaski
It is highly questionable whether that was legal, given that residence for immigration purposes is completely different from residence for determining if you need a state DL.
Yes, I realise it was not legal which is why I said he should change his license in 30 days of arriving. Hopefully by that time he will have all other docs he needs to get a drivers license by then, ie SSN or visa. When we arrived 14 yrs ago, we were not told this information during out extensive 'getting to know your new culture' seminars which were pointless. As soon as we realised we changed out drivers license. However, fact is people did do it and still do it.
Old Oct 28th 2014, 11:58 am
Forum Regular

Goodlad is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all
Anyone know where the driver licence knowledge tests are conducted?
and where do I apply for knowledge tests?
Old Oct 28th 2014, 1:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Owen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Goodlad
Hi all
Anyone know where the driver licence knowledge tests are conducted?
and where do I apply for knowledge tests?
At the local Texas Department of Public Safety (DPS). For both.

You can investigate online, here:
Tx DPS - Driver License office locations
TxDPS - Your Texas Drivers License / ID

Google is your friend.
Old Oct 28th 2014, 3:07 pm
Forum Regular

Went on the site with a usa ip address but cannot see where I would apply for knowledge test...it only shows actual driving test
Old Oct 28th 2014, 3:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Owen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Goodlad
Went on the site with a usa ip address but cannot see where I would apply for knowledge test...it only shows actual driving test
You just turn up at the DPS, with ID, and take it. You may need to bring your visa documentation and I-94 as well as your passport. Plus proof of address, I think.

You can "get in the queue online" ahead of time at the Megacenters. The one for Austin is in Pflugerville. At the other locations, you just turn up and queue, often for a long time.
Driver License - Get In Line Online...Before You Go
Old Oct 28th 2014, 3:32 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

I was trying to figure it out for Goodlad...I had a french license so for me it was a straight swap at that time. THANK GOD! They've changed that now and I'd have to take the knowledge test.

Here is a link to a practice test which some friends of mine used
FREE Texas Permit Practice Test (TX) 2014

Doesn't the OP need a social security number first? I seem to remember my friend getting held up due to that requirement last year.
Old Oct 28th 2014, 6:18 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jjmb
So are you already in Austin? Seems like you first posted in September about a possible transfer.
Originally Posted by petitefrancaise

Doesn't the OP need a social security number first? I seem to remember my friend getting held up due to that requirement last year.
We don't even know where the OP is -- he or she only posted about the possibility of being offered a transfer in mid-Sept and never responded to the query above, and appears to be trying to access the DMV from the UK.
Old Oct 28th 2014, 7:13 pm
Forum Regular

Walkerhome is an unknown quantity at this point

You can do the theory test online.
You have three months to pass the test - However, you can drive on an international license for a year . Both insurance companies and leasing companies will accept your international license. IF you are still in the UK then order the international license from the AA - Its painless.
Pflugerville is a perfect test center its not busy . Its in a relatively quiet res area ( just don't go taking your test in school start or finish) You can text them to queue in line before you leave home - my extensive experience of this place is you really don't need to do this.

You don't need a SSN if you have an ITIN

Its easy and relaxed - Its AUSTIN
Old Oct 28th 2014, 7:16 pm
Forum Regular

I'm here!!

They have blocked the site from UK it appears which doesn't help...but I'm led to believe after my L1 visa will come the SSN and yes it's required....
I've been offered the position but am in the negotiating stage about salary as the offered salary in Austin is less than what I earn now in UK

And how difficult is test...my friend has downloaded the handbook in USA and has emailed to me and I've printed it....
Beats me why txdps have blocked UK ips
Old Oct 28th 2014, 7:18 pm
Forum Regular

I wouldn't worry to much about the test if you do the test online you have a tutorial beforehand that you complete .

Plus the online test is not timed
Old Oct 28th 2014, 7:22 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Walkerhome
You have three months to pass the test - However, you can drive on an international license for a year . Both insurance companies and leasing companies will accept your international license. IF you are still in the UK then order the international license from the AA - Its painless. .....
This is bad, wrongheaded advice for several reasons. An "international license" is only a translation of your license and therefore irrelevant for anyone with a British licence. Secondly, it is dangerous to assume that you're covered if your insurer or leasing company "accepts" your license, because if the police deem you to not have a valid license 91 days after you arrive your insurance coverage will be voided when the insurer discovers that you don't actually have a valid license. If you have caused major damage, or worse, injured someone, there is a good chance that legal costs and damages will bankrupt you!
Old Oct 28th 2014, 7:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Walkerhome
You have three months to pass the test - However, you can drive on an international license for a year . Both insurance companies and leasing companies will accept your international license. IF you are still in the UK then order the international license from the AA - Its painless.
Pflugerville is a perfect test center its not busy . Its in a relatively quiet res area ( just don't go taking your test in school start or finish) You can text them to queue in line before you leave home - my extensive experience of this place is you really don't need to do this.

You don't need a SSN if you have an ITIN

Its easy and relaxed - Its AUSTIN
Sorry, most of your post is wrong.

The DPS website is clear that you are only allowed to drive with an out-of-state license for up to 90 days. You can't drive on an international license for a year, and, as Pulaski says, there is no point having one if you already have a UK license.
TxDPS - Moving to Texas

Do you have personal experience of getting a license with an ITIN? Because the Texas DPS requirements include evidence of your SSN. And it makes little sense for someone to need a driving license in the US without also requiring a SSN.

The full requirements are:
- Verify Texas residency (i.e. proof of address - 2 different documents)
- Verify US citizenship or lawful presence (none of the examples they give apply to non-immigrants, but likely you would need passport, visa and I-94. Possibly they will also want to see the I-797 for your visa too)
- Verify your identity (passport, visa, I-94)
- Verify your SSN (no reference is made to ITIN)
See here:
http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/interne...orms/DL-57.pdf
Old Oct 28th 2014, 8:00 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Owen778

The DPS website is clear that you are only allowed to drive with an out-of-state license for up to 90 days. You can't drive on an international license for a year, and, as Pulaski says, there is no point having one if you already have a UK license.
TxDPS - Moving to Texas

Do you have personal experience of getting a license with an ITIN? Because the Texas DPS requirements include evidence of your SSN. And it makes little sense for someone to need a driving license in the US without also requiring a SSN.

- Verify US citizenship or lawful presence (none of the examples they give apply to non-immigrants, but likely you would need passport, visa and I-94. Possibly they will also want to see the I-797 for your visa too)
See here:
None of the above is particularly difficult to acquire, the SSN takes about a week to come through once you've gone to the office and done the paperwork.

The test was easy/peasy - so I'm told, even for a couple of non-mother tongue english speakers.

Something I didn't know was that when you go to get your license, they take a photo of you there and then. I looked like a dog's dinner - exhausted, no makeup, hair could've been better. Since it's your main form of ID, I HATED that. So, when I moved and went to get the address amended, I tarted myself up a bit....
Old Oct 28th 2014, 8:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
None of the above is particularly difficult to acquire, the SSN takes about a week to come through once you've gone to the office and done the paperwork.

The test was easy/peasy - so I'm told, even for a couple of non-mother tongue english speakers.

Something I didn't know was that when you go to get your license, they take a photo of you there and then. I looked like a dog's dinner - exhausted, no makeup, hair could've been better. Since it's your main form of ID, I HATED that. So, when I moved and went to get the address amended, I tarted myself up a bit....
I agree with all of that. Once I get my green card in a few months, I'll be in to renew.

It can't be as bad as my wife's US passport, though, where her hair was blonde, but looks orange.
Old Oct 28th 2014, 8:53 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Owen778

TxDPS - Moving to Texas

See here:
Yes i do for my daughter. She was on a L2 dependent ( unable to obtain a SSN ) so they asked for an ITIN instead of the SSN.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.