Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Austin, Texas info

Austin, Texas info

Old Apr 22nd 2005, 8:17 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Austin, Texas info

Originally Posted by g1ant
I think you have been misinformed on that one. There are no direct flights to Austin from the UK or the Republic of Ireland.
-
For travel to the UK, BA fly out of both Dallas and Houston. You have the option of either driving or flying to those cities; it is far cheaper if you are willing to drive. If not, it's about a 40 minute flight to either city.
Old Apr 22nd 2005, 9:48 am
Just Joined

macanna is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by snowbunny
For travel to the UK, BA fly out of both Dallas and Houston. You have the option of either driving or flying to those cities; it is far cheaper if you are willing to drive. If not, it's about a 40 minute flight to either city.
Thanks for all the useful information and hope to visit in the near future.
Old Apr 22nd 2005, 10:37 am
UK & US Citizen

ScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by macanna
A friend worked in Texas and recommended the state to us as being very gregarious
Well that's true, Texans do like to talk - mostly about themselves, though
Old Apr 22nd 2005, 11:35 am
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by macanna
Well that decides it! SXSW here we come for our first visit to Austin. We will visit first as tourists as has been sensibly suggested.
you'll always be visiting as tourists though.
Old Apr 22nd 2005, 4:33 pm
Maño-Americano

ironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Manc
you'll always be visiting as tourists though.
In Texas, they will always be 'feraners'. When I lived there (and I loved the Hill Country- Lake LBJ/Buchanon area) they always said there were only 4 kind'a people in TX...Texans, Mexicans, Yankees and Okies. They were'nt too sure which group was worse. A yankee's offspring might be considered Texan after 2-3 generations of residing there
Old Apr 22nd 2005, 7:12 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ironporer
In Texas, they will always be 'feraners'. When I lived there (and I loved the Hill Country- Lake LBJ/Buchanon area) they always said there were only 4 kind'a people in TX...Texans, Mexicans, Yankees and Okies. They were'nt too sure which group was worse. A yankee's offspring might be considered Texan after 2-3 generations of residing there
The last sentence is true, but that's mostly a joke anyway. That kind of redneck intolerance is found if you move too far away from Austin, which is why I was hesitant to mention living farther up the Highland Lakes than Lake Travis.
Old Apr 22nd 2005, 8:08 pm
Maño-Americano

ironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snowbunny
The last sentence is true, but that's mostly a joke anyway. That kind of redneck intolerance is found if you move too far away from Austin, which is why I was hesitant to mention living farther up the Highland Lakes than Lake Travis.
It was said mostly in jest. Let me also say that the people there were among the best I have ever known in my life- honest, always willing to hep out and hard working. I also would say there was very little 'extreme red neck element' in the marble Falls/ Burnet/ Llano area... but many many old fashioned good country folks who had little use for the liberal element.
Old Apr 22nd 2005, 8:16 pm
Forum Regular

Texas Brit has a brilliant futureTexas Brit has a brilliant futureTexas Brit has a brilliant futureTexas Brit has a brilliant futureTexas Brit has a brilliant futureTexas Brit has a brilliant future

It was said mostly in jest. Let me also say that the people there were among the best I have ever known in my life- honest, always willing to hep out and hard working. I also would say there was very little 'extreme red neck element' in the marble Falls/ Burnet/ Llano area... but many many old fashioned good country folks who had little use for the liberal element.
Don't worry, we won't take offence. After all, you are in Alabama so you have nothing but our deepest heartfelt sympathy.
Old Apr 22nd 2005, 9:07 pm
Maño-Americano

Originally Posted by Texas Brit
Don't worry, we won't take offence. After all, you are in Alabama so you have nothing but our deepest heartfelt sympathy.
Yeah, plenty of rednecks here, plus the uber konservative kristian element, Baptist Bible Belters...but it isn't too bad.
Old Apr 22nd 2005, 9:08 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

konservative kristian
what does the third K stand for then??
Old Apr 22nd 2005, 9:52 pm
Lapine Member

Originally Posted by Manc
what does the third K stand for then??
Kooks.