Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Austin, Texas

Austin, Texas

Old Apr 29th 2015, 2:42 am
BE Forum Addict

markonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Austin, Texas

Anyone live there? We are thinking of leaving California and it's ridiculously high prices for hopefully something a little better. For the price of our 3 bed that needs work, we can get a 5 bed that's douboe the size. BA now fly there direct, and it's 2 hours shorter than SFO. More career opportunities for me (the wife is already looking at sorting a transfer), good schools and the US Grand Prix every year. Seems the perfect place. Anyone want to tell me otherwise?
Old Apr 29th 2015, 3:32 am

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Austin, Texas

Originally Posted by markonline1
Anyone live there? We are thinking of leaving California and it's ridiculously high prices for hopefully something a little better. For the price of our 3 bed that needs work, we can get a 5 bed that's douboe the size. BA now fly there direct, and it's 2 hours shorter than SFO. More career opportunities for me (the wife is already looking at sorting a transfer), good schools and the US Grand Prix every year. Seems the perfect place. Anyone want to tell me otherwise?
There was a recent thread should I move to Austin or San Francisco, it went off topic pretty quick, but I think there was some good info in there to start with.
Old Apr 29th 2015, 4:15 am
BE Forum Addict

markonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by N1cky
There was a recent thread should I move to Austin or San Francisco, it went off topic pretty quick, but I think there was some good info in there to start with.
Cool, I'll take a look. Our move to the Bay Area that I posted about a few months back is off. The pay increase for the wife just wasn't worth the move.
Old Apr 29th 2015, 4:20 am

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

Cool, I'll take a look. Our move to the Bay Area that I posted about a few months back is off. The pay increase for the wife just wasn't worth the move.
Judging from what you'd wrote, I think that's a good decision for you. Are there any other options other than Austin? Although I think it looks rather a cool place.
Old Apr 29th 2015, 4:42 am
BE Forum Addict

We have a house in NC that we rent out, but I don't think moving there is an option. Her mum randomly mentioned Austin the other day. She wants to retire without a mortgage. Looking at house prices, $400k buys you a bloody nice house in the suburbs. $500 where we are now buys you sweet fa. Found the other thread, gotta say, the 100f summers don't exactly sound appealing LOL.
Old Apr 29th 2015, 4:47 am

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

We don't live there....yet..its a couple of hours away but we visit very regularly as sister in law with kids same age as ours lives there. I like it a lot. I doubt we will move before the kids leave school, but it is very high on our list of likely places to move once the kids are gone (and the ageing inlaws)
Old Apr 29th 2015, 4:50 am

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

. Found the other thread, gotta say, the 100f summers don't exactly sound appealing LOL.
I like the summers...gives you a reason to do everything real slow.....and drink a cool beer now and then.....
Old Apr 29th 2015, 4:51 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad
I like the summers...gives you a reason to do everything real slow.....and drink a cool beer now and then.....
Ha ha, that is definitely a plus of hot summers.
Old Apr 29th 2015, 11:50 am
BE Enthusiast

AlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond repute

I'm watching this thread with interest. I'm planning to 'Escape from New York' this year for the same reasons and Austin is on my shortlist. Now to find a willing employer...
Old Apr 29th 2015, 6:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

sherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond repute

I just returned from Austin yesterday (weekend trip). Very relaxed, young hip crowd there. Felt safe, less homeless people than SF and lots of different neighbourhoods to choose from. I don't know about the housing prices but I thought food/beer/coffee etc was expensive (and I live in SoCal and was in SF last week and thought it was more expensive than both). I thought it could possibly be the only place outside of Cali I could live in. It's very hot there. Was about 33 and we are only in April...
Old Apr 29th 2015, 6:31 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

We have a house in NC that we rent out, but I don't think moving there is an option. Her mum randomly mentioned Austin the other day. She wants to retire without a mortgage. Looking at house prices, $400k buys you a bloody nice house in the suburbs. ......
You could halve your budget again over here. 100°F days are rare, (many years: none)
Old Apr 29th 2015, 6:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

I think that's where petitefrancais lives.

Me, headed for Olympia WA in two years.

(Had it with heat, sunshine and CA taxes/fees.)
Old Apr 29th 2015, 7:07 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, I live here in Austin.....
the recent thread about Austin or San Francisco has a lot of info in it.

Feel free to pm me if you need more specific info.

Last edited by petitefrancaise; Apr 29th 2015 at 7:11 pm.
Old Apr 29th 2015, 9:09 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

A couple whose opinion I respect (and who have moved around a lot because of his corporate position) will move back to Austin as soon as it is possible, to settle there permanently. They love the lifestyle there. These are people around 50, about to empty-nest, into art, music, food, and living what one might consider to be the good life in CT.

Last edited by Nutmegger; Apr 29th 2015 at 10:48 pm.
Old Apr 29th 2015, 10:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Sounds like it's definitely a good place to live then. Petitefrancais, any areas we should avoid? I think a lot of the houses we were looking at were in Round Rock just to the north.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.