Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Aussie interest rates rising again,and again...

Aussie interest rates rising again,and again...

Old Jan 4th 2008, 12:54 pm
Just Joined

KevC has a spectacular aura aboutKevC has a spectacular aura aboutKevC has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Aussie interest rates rising again,and again...

Originally Posted by ex_exile
You should come buy it in New Zealand, its only $1.71, thats 66p
if I send you the cash can you post me some?

Old Jan 4th 2008, 10:13 pm

Vim Fuego is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by rabsody
Thanks Vim, I didn't realise it made that much difference. Well, I am blonde! Will do de vewwy big sums on de compoota calc (sorry having a funny five mins).
Fortnightly should be a default payment option but then the evil banks wouldn't be getting their full value

Makes life easier to manage for me, especially if you are paid fortnightly, as most people seem to be in Oz. Money In, Money Out, live off the rest ...
Old Jan 5th 2008, 2:24 am
BE Enthusiast

manc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond repute

Interest rates are going down in England. A good time to by at a fixed interest me thinks.
Old Jan 5th 2008, 4:26 am
Former Floridian

katesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond repute

Same situation in South Florida with the houses. I got a house in 2005, and the next year my taxes had doubled and insurance tripled. When I had an appraiser round so I could to try to sell it, his eyes went wide when I told him how much I paid for it compared to what it was actually worth when he came round. If I'd sold it and not voluntarily given it back to the bank before a foreclosure, I'd have lost 70K in the sale.
Old Jan 5th 2008, 4:33 am
BE Forum Addict

rabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vim Fuego
Fortnightly should be a default payment option but then the evil banks wouldn't be getting their full value

Makes life easier to manage for me, especially if you are paid fortnightly, as most people seem to be in Oz. Money In, Money Out, live off the rest ...
Vim, thanks so much for this tip! I looked into it today and it does indeed save me a nice chunk on interest, just by breaking the exact same monthly amount up into fortnightly repayments. I don't understand it, but by god it's good!! Thank you, I owe you a beer (with a champagne chaser ).
Old Jan 5th 2008, 4:41 am

Originally Posted by rabsody
Vim, thanks so much for this tip! I looked into it today and it does indeed save me a nice chunk on interest, just by breaking the exact same monthly amount up into fortnightly repayments. I don't understand it, but by god it's good!! Thank you, I owe you a beer (with a champagne chaser ).
It took me a few months to change too (not being a great financial wizz meself, I'm a geek by trade) but it makes sense because if you are paying fortnightly you are paying an 'extra' 2 payments compared to monthly (12 months = 24 fortnights vs 52 weeks/2 = 26 fortnights).

So, if you are paying monthly now and can afford to live without a months repayment then it's definitely the way to go.

I shall hold you to the beer at some point

Maybe a fresh thread in the Barbie is required to promote 'financial awareness' for these things? Or maybe it'll just degenerate into another Perth vs Brisbane debate
Old Jan 5th 2008, 5:08 am
Account Closed

TraceyW is an unknown quantity at this point

Maybe a fresh thread in the Barbie is required to promote 'financial awareness' for these things? Or maybe it'll just degenerate into another Perth vs Brisbane debate
Noooooo.....why do you think that???
Old Jan 5th 2008, 5:56 am
UK is Home

Sunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond repute

6.25%? WHERE????????????????

Hell yes!

On a loan of $350,000 over 25 years at an interest rate of 6.25% you would save FOUR YEARS of repayments switching to fortnightly.

Here is quite a nice calculator from a random bank, it also does the 'extra repayment' thing
http://www.suncorp.com.au/Suncorp/pe...alculator.aspx
Old Jan 5th 2008, 6:08 am

Originally Posted by Sunny_Glesga
6.25%? WHERE????????????????
In yer dreams, I just picked a rate out at random
Old Jan 5th 2008, 7:45 am
Banned

Major Edmund Lockyer has a brilliant futureMajor Edmund Lockyer has a brilliant futureMajor Edmund Lockyer has a brilliant futureMajor Edmund Lockyer has a brilliant futureMajor Edmund Lockyer has a brilliant futureMajor Edmund Lockyer has a brilliant future

Vim,

having lived in both cities and localities, Perth and Brisbane, and in the Uk at the moment, I dont understand all this fuss of comparing, each has its benefits.

I wont even mention any negative, as for me whats the point, i aint got time in my life to dwell on that, spent enough whinging to myself and its futile.

On that subject tho, instead of selling my house in Uk, I have rented it, and its cheaper than buying in Aus, at the moment, as the prices are fuelled by unsustainable factors in some areas.This way I am still on property ladder thanks to someone else, have an investment and rent in Aus, which gives me the opportunity to move around and avoid daft interest rates which you guys are experincing.

Last edited by Major Edmund Lockyer; Jan 5th 2008 at 7:47 am.
Old Jan 5th 2008, 7:53 am

Originally Posted by Major Edmund Lockyer
Vim,

having lived in both cities and localities, Perth and Brisbane, and in the Uk at the moment, I dont understand all this fuss of comparing, each has its benefits.

I wont even mention any negative, as for me whats the point, i aint got time in my life to dwell on that, spent enough whinging to myself and its futile.

On that subject tho, instead of selling my house in Uk, I have rented it, and its cheaper to do that keep it as an investment and rent in Aus, which gives me the opportunity to move around and avoid daft interest rates which you guys are experincing.
You ain't wrong, I also prefer to live my life, it's a natural human thing to compare though and as long as you are comfortable in your own mind then most of the forum catfights can be taken as a bit of entertainment.

I was advised to rent out in the UK when I decided to sell my flat but I needed to clear some debt and burnt off the equity travelling and generally having a good time ... I subsequently amassed a huge credit card debt to boot ... so that is why my wife is the financial controller these days.
Old Jan 5th 2008, 11:04 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by manc1
Interest rates are going down in England. A good time to by at a fixed interest me thinks.
That depends ... if they continue to go down, getting a fixed rate now does not make sense ...
Old Jan 5th 2008, 4:01 pm
Former Resident Visa

Jaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, you can be our financial advisor
Cos I'll bl@@dy need one when I get there! I spent our month on the reccie harassing the OH with 'How much is this then?' (conversion).You can imagine the response after 1 week of this...:curse:
J x
Old Jan 5th 2008, 11:24 pm
shoot from the hip,baby

onepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond repute

Anyone considering renting while their here in Oz and buying in the Uk then?
Especially for those thinking of returning in a few years. If the interest rates are going down - sounds like a great time to make a purchase over there.
Unlike here.
*pearly*
Old Jan 6th 2008, 12:10 am
Just Joined

paula logan is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by onepearlyb
stop it!

I'm trying to have a decent moan on here and your spoiling it for me and ruining everything.
Ihate to be another winging pom but there you go! I agree with you we emigrated here June 2006 with what we thought was a decent depost we are still renting because of terribly low wages ad the general cost of living ie,food (cant believe the price of a loaf!!) petrol, rent etc.I am a hairdresser and have been for 24 years I noe earn what i was earning 10 yearsago in uk but the difference there was we got tips too! I am considering going back as I cant see us ever being able to have a comfortable life here.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.