Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Aussie family wanting to goto USA but where exactly?

Aussie family wanting to goto USA but where exactly?

Old Apr 3rd 2009, 2:46 pm
Diamond Geezer

Ridski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Aussie family wanting to goto USA but where exactly?

Originally Posted by BJMonty
Thank you for the info Mum,

Ideally I would like to buy a Wireless USB modem for my laptop and then I could browse the internet anywhere.
Here in Oz we are able to buy pre paid modems for around $100 and then buy monthly access from around $30 per month but they do not work internationally.
Blimey, that's expensive. I have an iPhone, which works pretty much anywhere, if I were you, I'd pick up a USB wireless adapter like this one. Lots of hotels also free wireless internet.
Old Apr 3rd 2009, 9:42 pm
Just Joined

BJMonty is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Ridski
Blimey, that's expensive. I have an iPhone, which works pretty much anywhere, if I were you, I'd pick up a USB wireless adapter like this one. Lots of hotels also free wireless internet.
Thanks, my laptop has built in wireless ( wifi ). Will try my luck and see if any of the hotels we are staying in has wireless
Old Apr 5th 2009, 7:24 pm
Just Joined

fbooth3306 is an unknown quantity at this point

I suppose it depends on what you look for, but you might consider northern Minnesota, near Ely, about an hour from Lake Superior. It is actually warm that time of year and the lakes are amazing. You will be surrounded by woods full of moose, bears and wolves and crystal clear water with some of the US best fishing. I know a resort there or you can search for some yourself. 6 weeks might be too long however but might be a good stopover toward the end of a trip to rest up. Minneapolis is about 4 hours south and has a great airport. Nothing like a log cabin with a nice fire at night after a late sauna and quick dip in a cold lake.
Old Apr 5th 2009, 8:54 pm
Forum Regular

piloteea is an unknown quantity at this point

Everyone has been ever so helpful. I don`t know how to thank you enough.

I will be taking my laptop with me but have no idea how I am going to be able to connect to the internet. Have tried looking for a pre paid mobile wireless service that will operate in and around NY but low and behold I can`t find one.
Any ideas on that front?
this is america... there are LOADS of free wifi here...
Old Apr 6th 2009, 4:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks, my laptop has built in wireless ( wifi ). Will try my luck and see if any of the hotels we are staying in has wireless
Many will have wireless but some will charge while others won't. In my experience (which may not be yours) the affordable hotels had free wifi and the expensive hotels charged.

I don't think you're going to have a problem though. I like booking as I go personally because then you can stay longer if you want or move on if you want. Just be sure there aren't major events or a shortage of rooms anywhere you're going.

Have a great time!!