British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Aus to UK - shipping a few things? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/aus-uk-shipping-few-things-265309/)

scoobydoo Nov 8th 2004 11:06 pm

Aus to UK - shipping a few things?

Serious thoughts of going back to Uk in 2005 so just have a couple of questions for those who have done it!

We will have a 20 foot, sole use container, no quotes done yet but wondered how long the stuff takes from door to door.

We would like to get our bikes (a road racer and 2 mountain bikes) back as soon as possible, and maybe the computer too. What would be the cost of getting these back quickly (? air freight), has anyone done this and can recommend a particular company?

Obviously when we get shipping quotes they can tell us a few answers but I just need some idea to try and work out time-scales and our dates! :)

Thank you :)

HiddenPaw Nov 9th 2004 8:12 am

Re: Aus to UK - shipping a few things?

Originally Posted by scoobydoo
Serious thoughts of going back to Uk in 2005 so just have a couple of questions for those who have done it!

We will have a 20 foot, sole use container, no quotes done yet but wondered how long the stuff takes from door to door.

We would like to get our bikes (a road racer and 2 mountain bikes) back as soon as possible, and maybe the computer too. What would be the cost of getting these back quickly (? air freight), has anyone done this and can recommend a particular company?

Obviously when we get shipping quotes they can tell us a few answers but I just need some idea to try and work out time-scales and our dates! :)

Hi Scoobs
Our container left Melbourne on 4th December last year and was back in the UK by approx 20th Jan. We used Kent. I had Kent, TransInternational and Allied Pickfords round for quotes - Kent weren't the cheapest but they were the most professional and caring (had a nightmare going over to Oz, lots of stuff damaged so I really grilled these about their processes, etc). Kent did come down on price when I asked. They were absolutely brilliant.

We took bikes over on the plane with us as part of the 40kg but on the way back, all 4 went in the container (an excuse for husband to buy yet another flaming bike when he got back to UK!!) so I can't help with the air freight I'm afraid.

What time of year are you coming back?

scoobydoo Nov 9th 2004 7:52 pm

Originally Posted by HiddenPaw
Hi Scoobs
Our container left Melbourne on 4th December last year and was back in the UK by approx 20th Jan. We used Kent. I had Kent, TransInternational and Allied Pickfords round for quotes - Kent weren't the cheapest but they were the most professional and caring (had a nightmare going over to Oz, lots of stuff damaged so I really grilled these about their processes, etc). Kent did come down on price when I asked. They were absolutely brilliant.

We took bikes over on the plane with us as part of the 40kg but on the way back, all 4 went in the container (an excuse for husband to buy yet another flaming bike when he got back to UK!!) so I can't help with the air freight I'm afraid.

What time of year are you coming back?

Thank you HP..that is usefull.
Don't mention buying a new bike to my husband!! He thinks his mountain bike needs upgrading and also came in from a ride last night twittering on about how he needs a new road bike (even though it had a lot of work done on it before we came over!!!!!) :rolleyes: He says it is OK for the rollers but needs a new one for outside!?!

We are looking to come back between March and May, but as we have lots of UK visitors before then I thought I'd make a start on all the stuff - daunting thought! Do not want to have it all to do when our relatives are here!
:)

heading downunder 2002 Nov 9th 2004 8:51 pm

Hi Scoobs,

Our container took 5 weeks!!!! yes only 5 weeks, We were probably lucky with the ship but it was great because we moved into our house 5 weeks after our return and our container arrived in port the same day and was delivered the week after, it was actually easier customs wise etc coming back than it was going.

Can't help on air freight, haven't used it before.

Susan :D

HiddenPaw Nov 9th 2004 9:15 pm

Thank you HP..that is usefull.
Don't mention buying a new bike to my husband!! He thinks his mountain bike needs upgrading and also came in from a ride last night twittering on about how he needs a new road bike (even though it had a lot of work done on it before we came over!!!!!) :rolleyes: He says it is OK for the rollers but needs a new one for outside!?!

We are looking to come back between March and May, but as we have lots of UK visitors before then I thought I'd make a start on all the stuff - daunting thought! Do not want to have it all to do when our relatives are here!
:)

ohhhh, Melbourne is the bike-snob capital of the world...why are men sucked in by all this Italian designer bike crap. You wouldn't see women acting like this over a handbag.......would you.....????

I've relayed this thread to my husband and he says your husband has to have a new bike. (This from a guy who has to have a winter bike and a summer bike (durr, and I thought they were all 'waterproof ' :rolleyes: ) That's why husband needed to buy a new bike on return to the UK last Dec - couldn't possibly use his good bike in the winter. Is there any hope for them? :D

scoobydoo Nov 9th 2004 10:29 pm

Originally Posted by HiddenPaw
ohhhh, Melbourne is the bike-snob capital of the world...why are men sucked in by all this Italian designer bike crap. You wouldn't see women acting like this over a handbag.......would you.....????

I've relayed this thread to my husband and he says your husband has to have a new bike. (This from a guy who has to have a winter bike and a summer bike (durr, and I thought they were all 'waterproof ' :rolleyes: ) That's why husband needed to buy a new bike on return to the UK last Dec - couldn't possibly use his good bike in the winter. Is there any hope for them? :D

OMG!!!! Thankfully husband doesn't read this .... cannot put that idea of a winter and summer bike into his head!!!! Before we left he had a road bike, mountain bike, pub bike (one that could be left outside the pub with no fear of it being pinched as it was too delapidated!!) , and a spares bike at his parents, plus a shed full of shocks, derailliers, rollers, bits and bobs!!! :eek: