Auburn, AL?

Old Jun 9th 2010, 7:30 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Auburn, AL?

Originally Posted by dunroving
Bob, was that a link to a specific position? It only took me to the Chronicle job search page ...
Naa...but it's what my friend who moved to Chicago used to find his job, pretty specific for college jobs apparently, but he said it was used by quite a few of the colleges in MA rather than the more common places like Monster etc.
Old Jun 9th 2010, 7:52 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Naa...but it's what my friend who moved to Chicago used to find his job, pretty specific for college jobs apparently, but he said it was used by quite a few of the colleges in MA rather than the more common places like Monster etc.
OK, thanks, that's where I usually look (Chronicle), plus JobsInHigherEd. They have convenient alert facilities so I get a daily update on vacancies in kinesiology.
Old Jun 10th 2010, 4:16 pm
Forum Regular

wareagle is a name known to allwareagle is a name known to allwareagle is a name known to allwareagle is a name known to allwareagle is a name known to allwareagle is a name known to allwareagle is a name known to allwareagle is a name known to allwareagle is a name known to allwareagle is a name known to allwareagle is a name known to all

it's a fun place, typical college town . If I had to compare it to the UK it would be Liverpool, Newcastle - most of the social scence/economy is based around the college. It's cheap, fairly republican but people can suprise you with their views. Nice and close to Atlanta so you're not too far away from a "big" city. Some cracking golf courses as well.

Oh and they do love their football, wasnt a fun place to be this year with Alabama winning national, but the War Eagle shall rise again!

seriously, go and check it out if you can, best way to make an informed decision
Old Jun 10th 2010, 9:02 pm
Forum Regular

aceastwood is a jewel in the roughaceastwood is a jewel in the roughaceastwood is a jewel in the roughaceastwood is a jewel in the rough

How far is the nearest decent-sized airport (I see Atlanta is 2 hrs away, but wondered if any of the regional airports have decent service)?
Don't bother about other airports, even though there is a small one at Auburn - no idea if there are commercial flights. Atlanta airport is to the southwest of Atlanta, making it only 1.5 hours from Auburn. From there you can get a direct flight to pretty much anywhere.

Are Atlanta and Birmingham the nearest decent-sized cities (looks like it)? 43,000 (Auburn) is smaller than 69,000 (Murfreesboro), 100,000 (Athens), and 85,000 (Greenville), though Murfreesboro was pretty close to Nashville, and Athens did not feel small-towny at all. Greenville was a little difficult to live in, despite being a college town - it felt pretty small and conservative at times. M'boro and Athens always seemed to have a lot of artsy-fartsy things going on, and a thriving cycling community (couldn't find a cycling club online in Auburn ...).
Montgomery (capital of Alabama, population 200,000) is nearer than Birmingham - you could probably do it in under an hour, but in truth there's not a whole lot there. If you want any culture, it's Atlanta.
Old Jun 12th 2010, 5:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

HumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Springfield has gotten worse over the last few years. I knew a guy who taught there, he just moved to Chicago this weekend though.
Springfield has actually got worse over the last 2 years ??? How is that even possible. I think the whole city went bust a while back and the state had to takeover. In Northampton they used to round up the drunks and the weirdos and put them on the bus down the Springfield.....actually no, I think it was the bus to Holyoke.

Last edited by HumphreyC; Jun 12th 2010 at 5:10 pm.
Old Jun 12th 2010, 11:48 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HumphreyC
Springfield has actually got worse over the last 2 years ??? How is that even possible. I think the whole city went bust a while back and the state had to takeover....
The state is hurting for money big time...Amusing really, they introduced a bunch of tax breaks for certain businesses, like the movie industry and expected to provide $50M, ended up providing $100M yet those companies aren't actually staying in the state, they come and go, so haven't moved people to the state and not worked out well for it, but on the other hand, it isn't offering it to the games industry, who are much larger here and a lot of companies are threatening to move out where they can get good breaks, CT and RI for neighbouring ones for example.
Old Jun 17th 2010, 5:09 pm
Forum Regular

flagirl has much to be proud offlagirl has much to be proud offlagirl has much to be proud offlagirl has much to be proud offlagirl has much to be proud offlagirl has much to be proud offlagirl has much to be proud offlagirl has much to be proud offlagirl has much to be proud offlagirl has much to be proud offlagirl has much to be proud of

I did my undergrad degree at Auburn. Nice college town, and has already been mentioned mad about football. I enjoyed my time there-would definitely be worth taking a look.
And yes, Montgomery is the closest airport, with Columbus, GA being about the next closest.
Old Jun 17th 2010, 5:33 pm
Queen of my house

tamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond repute

OK, onto Plan C, a promising position opening has come up at Auburn University. Doesn't seem like there are many folks on BE actually living in Auburn, from an Advanced Search of posts, but is anyone in the vicinity, or know about that part of Alabama? OK, I've heard the Alabamistan jokes, but I know not everywhere in the South is like that (because I've lived there).

Any experiences or insights gladly accepted!
Auburn is a very prestigious school and pretty well known everywhere in the US (among academics and college sportsl fans that is)
Old Jun 17th 2010, 6:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by augigi
Only thing I know about Auburn is when my friend went to school there and I went to visit several times. She loved it there and was there about 6 years. I thought it was cute; very small town-ish and everyone seemed to know everyone else.

Haven't lived there though and don't know how good the uni is - although they have a good swim team!
+1....I have a friend who constantly raves about how great the place was (he did his 4 year BA there)! He is a football fan too - that team has a huge following.

Last edited by Dan725; Jun 17th 2010 at 7:00 pm.
Old Jun 17th 2010, 8:21 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks to everyone for the feedback. I am not entirely convinced, having looked more closely at the department's Web site, that the job will be a good fit but I have until July 15th to apply and will likely toss my hat into the ring. Sometimes in these situations, a seeming mis-fit can be an indication of a shift in program emphasis (in this case, from cellular physiology to physical activity and health).

It boggles my mind that universities can invest so much money and energy in football (I'm pretty familiar with Auburn's reputation, being a GA Dawg), but have such poorly-designed and poorly kept-up Web pages. Don't they realize it's their window to the world (or more accurately, the world's window to them)? The Department's Web site is pretty slim on detail and every page has a different format.

Thanks again all, and any further insight gladly received!
Old Jun 17th 2010, 8:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond repute

It boggles my mind that universities can invest so much money and energy in football (I'm pretty familiar with Auburn's reputation, being a GA Dawg), but have such poorly-designed and poorly kept-up Web pages. Don't they realize it's their window to the world (or more accurately, the world's window to them)? The Department's Web site is pretty slim on detail and every page has a different format.
The university where I work is known for science and engineering... and its website is a disaster as well. The search function is useless, every section has a different layout, ugh.

Good luck with the job search!
Old Jun 18th 2010, 3:29 am
BE Forum Addict

The Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks to everyone for the feedback. I am not entirely convinced, having looked more closely at the department's Web site, that the job will be a good fit but I have until July 15th to apply and will likely toss my hat into the ring. Sometimes in these situations, a seeming mis-fit can be an indication of a shift in program emphasis (in this case, from cellular physiology to physical activity and health).

Thanks again all, and any further insight gladly received!
Let us know if you apply and how it goes. Mostly Alabama fans round this way, Auburn is a cuss word for many

As others have said you're 2hrs from Atlanta, about 3 hours from the Gulf Coast. As far as I can can discern the University has a reputation as a good school, I've heard the campus is nice too though I've never been.

In the unlikely event that you get a job at Mississippi State, could you bring me some Scottish blend on your way past?