Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Attention US expats

Attention US expats

Old Jul 29th 2007, 5:09 pm
Back where I belong!

Location: Melbourne, Oz to Banbury, England to El Mirage, AZ & now back to England!
Partystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Attention US expats

Originally Posted by Rushman
I have had 100's of Egg and Bacon sandwiches since arriving back in the UK. Gallons of lovely (strong) beer and will be enjoying a nice Chicken Vindaloo in about an hour.

Just to let you all know.........it still tastes as fantastic as you all remember them....if you still can remember them.
I shall be there in 3 weeks, enjoying it myself!!! Can't wait!
Old Jul 29th 2007, 5:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Patrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by another bloody yank
My first attempt at bending steel lines wasn't pretty.
Oh I bent them ok ..... But just as predicted, fix one and the rest will give out
Now I have fluid leaks in places I cant even imagine how I get to them
Old Jul 29th 2007, 6:18 pm
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Patrick Hasler
Oh I bent them ok ..... But just as predicted, fix one and the rest will give out

Project creep.

My last experience with brakes:
My International had symptoms of a vacuum leak. After much trial and error, new hoses all around etc... I figured it was the vacuum assisted power brake booster. I replaced both it and the master cylinder which went without too much hassle. I went to bleed the system after the install and found that the valve on the right rear was broken off and there wasn't enough left to get a wrench on. Time for a new wheel cylinder. Another problem, some idiot prior owner had used red loctite on the threads where the line screws into the wheel cylinder. A little too much force with the wrench and the line twisted and broke. Now I have to replace the right rear brake line for a '77 International Scout Traveler. Try finding that down at Auto Zone... It was available from a mail order supplier that deals in International parts, for one million dollars and three weeks to ship. I figured I'd buy a length and bend my own. Three trips to town later for more line, I had something that wasn't pretty, but didn't leak!

After all that,(a couple days work and close to $200.00 in parts) it turned out the vacuum leak was due to an EGR valve with an intermittent sticking problem. I stuck a ten cent cap on the line leading to it and it ran fine...

Last edited by another bloody yank; Jul 29th 2007 at 6:21 pm.
Old Jul 29th 2007, 11:13 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by another bloody yank
Project creep.

My last experience with brakes:
My International had symptoms of a vacuum leak. After much trial and error, new hoses all around etc... I figured it was the vacuum assisted power brake booster. I replaced both it and the master cylinder which went without too much hassle. I went to bleed the system after the install and found that the valve on the right rear was broken off and there wasn't enough left to get a wrench on. Time for a new wheel cylinder. Another problem, some idiot prior owner had used red loctite on the threads where the line screws into the wheel cylinder. A little too much force with the wrench and the line twisted and broke. Now I have to replace the right rear brake line for a '77 International Scout Traveler. Try finding that down at Auto Zone... It was available from a mail order supplier that deals in International parts, for one million dollars and three weeks to ship. I figured I'd buy a length and bend my own. Three trips to town later for more line, I had something that wasn't pretty, but didn't leak!

After all that,(a couple days work and close to $200.00 in parts) it turned out the vacuum leak was due to an EGR valve with an intermittent sticking problem. I stuck a ten cent cap on the line leading to it and it ran fine...
And I understood that about as well as when Bob starts in on computer stuff............

Old Jul 30th 2007, 12:36 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cindyabs
And I understood that about as well as when Bob starts in on computer stuff............

Aye...it's about as clear as dishwater.
Old Jul 30th 2007, 2:37 am
BE Forum Addict

frrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rushman
I have had 100's of Egg and Bacon sandwiches since arriving back in the UK. Gallons of lovely (strong) beer and will be enjoying a nice Chicken Vindaloo in about an hour.

Just to let you all know.........it still tastes as fantastic as you all remember them....if you still can remember them.
Enjoy, watch those calories.
Reg. Frank R.
Old Jul 30th 2007, 2:57 am
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tonrob
I'm off back to London for about a week in a month's time - counting the days!

It's my firm intention to do the beer and curry thing every night (so many Indian restaurants, so little time...). The missus wants to go to a few other-type places (Wagamama, Yo Sushi to name a couple) but I reckon we can do those for lunch!

This is going to cost us a soddin' fortune...
Wagamama and Yo Sushi are over-rated and the food is not that great. Wagamama was good in the early days (when there was only the branch near the British Museum). As for Yo Sushi, I think my local grocery store does sushi better than the Yo lot.
Old Jul 30th 2007, 11:28 am
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
Wagamama and Yo Sushi are over-rated and the food is not that great. Wagamama was good in the early days (when there was only the branch near the British Museum). As for Yo Sushi, I think my local grocery store does sushi better than the Yo lot.
Part of this is about nostalgia - the desire to return to old hang-outs rather than purely the quality of the food. However I think you do both chains somewhat of a disservice as I've always found the quality of the food to be quite good, even when compared with "genuine" ethnic eateries both in the UK and US. To compare Yo Sushi to your local grocery store - you've either got a very good grocery store there or pehaps had a poor Yo experience. My one beef with Yo has always been value for money - especially when they charge the same no matter whether you eat at one of their restaurants or sat in the middle of the concourse at Paddington.
Old Jul 30th 2007, 12:26 pm
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice

Well ..... We would all love to know when you are comming back ?

I think your missus would like to know also
PS: ..... I just totally f**ked up the Jeep bake lines, Kate isn't amused !
Flying back Thursday or Friday this week. Leave the brake lines...I will get to them and they will be done properly. DONT TOUCH ANYTHING!!
Old Jul 30th 2007, 12:30 pm
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice

FFS. You were lucky you even got the bleeders to open on the master to replace the lines youve already replaced.

Silly question but do you have access to a car trailer and a truck to tow it for a few hours?
Old Jul 30th 2007, 4:56 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

that much grease, how you going to fit in the chair for the flight home? or you planning on going the way of the reid?