Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Atlanta vs Dallas

Atlanta vs Dallas

Old Aug 17th 2007, 5:15 pm
Forum Regular

ScottD is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Atlanta vs Dallas

I have a chance to work from 2 locations either Dallas or Atlanta . I am not sure which one I should choose.I want to hear from the people who lived in either one or both what they think . I am really confused and I do not know which city will be better for me in terms of cost , quality of life , cleaner , traffic , crime ,job market in case if I get laid off on someday, ....

please help me to take the decision

Thanks

Last edited by ScottD; Aug 17th 2007 at 5:32 pm.
Old Aug 17th 2007, 5:17 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Atlanta vs Dallas

Atlanta vs Dallas
Atlanta won on the away goals rule.
Old Aug 17th 2007, 7:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond repute

Dallas will probably be a bit cheaper; no state income tax, and lower housing costs. Quality of life depends on what you like to do - attend concerts, listen to free-form poets, go rockclimbing, etc... do some searches to find out what is available in both places. Traffic (esp. rush hour commute) is going to be extremely heavy in both cities. As for crime, both have good areas and bad areas. Usually there's no reason to go to the bad part of town. Job market? Depends what you do.

In general, both are large, modern cities with lots of things to do. Is it possible for you to visit both to get a look for yourself?
Old Aug 17th 2007, 8:28 pm
Account Closed

lanky spoken here is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ScottD
I have a chance to work from 2 locations either Dallas or Atlanta . I am not sure which one I should choose.I want to hear from the people who lived in either one or both what they think . I am really confused and I do not know which city will be better for me in terms of cost , quality of life , cleaner , traffic , crime ,job market in case if I get laid off on someday, ....

please help me to take the decision

Thanks
you poor bugger....having to choose. I'd choose neither of them. Both are cr*p holes, and for different reasons.

Wouldn't touch Atlanta with a very long bargepole. Be Warned.

Last edited by lanky spoken here; Aug 17th 2007 at 8:30 pm.
Old Aug 17th 2007, 8:32 pm

Pony is an unknown quantity at this point

I've never been to Atlanta so cannot comment, but Dallas is a beautiful city. It is inexpensive to buy property, if you don't mind commuting in to down town Dallas.

Originally Posted by lanky spoken here
you poor bugger....having to choose. I'd choose neither of them. Both are cr*p holes, and for different reasons.
Old Aug 17th 2007, 8:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Celsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond repute

I've been to neither.

Try this site to compare the two cities:
http://www.bestplaces.net/City/
Old Aug 17th 2007, 9:52 pm
Forum Regular

David Richardson has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Richardson has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Richardson has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Richardson has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Richardson has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Richardson has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Richardson has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Richardson has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Richardson has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Richardson has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Richardson has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=ScottD;5203178]I have a chance to work from 2 locations either Dallas or Atlanta . I am not sure which one I should choose.I want to hear from the people who lived in either one or both what they think . I am really confused and I do not know which city will be better for me in terms of cost , quality of life , cleaner , traffic , crime ,job market in case if I get laid off on someday, ....

Been to both. Lived in Atlanta for over 20 years now. So much more to love in Atlanta. More culture, more trees, more hills and mountains. more lakes, more diversity. Majority of people here are from somewhere else incl. around the State of GA and other Southern States but especially from New England, Midwest and West Coast. Quite large Euro contingent esp Brits. Lots of S.Africans ( did I hear #1 US destination for them?). Inexpensive housing of all types in all settings - city, suburbs, country. Great airport and local transportation in city and close-in suburbs. Legitimate mountains under 2 hours away in TN, N.GA and NC. Ocean and Colonial charm of Savannah and Charleston less than 5 hours away by car. Excellent employment possibilities in many fields except heavy manufacturing. All major sports - excellent local level sports like Soccer too. We have the 4 seasons here - very mild winters, long , pleasant Spring and Fall. High heat and humidity for 8 to 10 weeks beginning mid- June. Generally adequate rainfall year round.
Frankly, the only arena where Dallas and Atlanta are evenly matched IMO are bars and nightclubs. Shopping may be on a par also.
My suggestion - fly into Atlanta and drive to Dallas via New Orleans and Gulf Coast for a trip. Spend 3 or 4 days in Big D and the ATL and see what you prefer.
Old Aug 17th 2007, 11:32 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=David Richardson;5204101]

Been to both. Lived in Atlanta for over 20 years now. So much more to love in Atlanta. More culture, more trees, more hills and mountains. more lakes, more diversity. Majority of people here are from somewhere else incl. around the State of GA and other Southern States but especially from New England, Midwest and West Coast. Quite large Euro contingent esp Brits. Lots of S.Africans ( did I hear #1 US destination for them?). Inexpensive housing of all types in all settings - city, suburbs, country. Great airport and local transportation in city and close-in suburbs. Legitimate mountains under 2 hours away in TN, N.GA and NC. Ocean and Colonial charm of Savannah and Charleston less than 5 hours away by car. Excellent employment possibilities in many fields except heavy manufacturing. All major sports - excellent local level sports like Soccer too. We have the 4 seasons here - very mild winters, long , pleasant Spring and Fall. High heat and humidity for 8 to 10 weeks beginning mid- June. Generally adequate rainfall year round.
Frankly, the only arena where Dallas and Atlanta are evenly matched IMO are bars and nightclubs. Shopping may be on a par also.
My suggestion - fly into Atlanta and drive to Dallas via New Orleans and Gulf Coast for a trip. Spend 3 or 4 days in Big D and the ATL and see what you prefer.
Caveat emptor. The poster above is a realtor.
Old Aug 17th 2007, 11:35 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for everyone

Really my work requires travel around 75% of my time . This is why I need to be beside the airport . I want to know where are the good areas around the airport in both cities .
Old Aug 18th 2007, 2:48 am
Forum Regular

David Richardson has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Richardson has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Richardson has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Richardson has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Richardson has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Richardson has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Richardson has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Richardson has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Richardson has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Richardson has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Richardson has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=NC Penguin;5204417]
Originally Posted by David Richardson

Caveat emptor. The poster above is a realtor.
Your point is ......? A shallow attempt to gain a client ? Since everything I wrote is accurate( I have been to Dallas several times for a week or more each visit), I feel I'm qualified to answer the question. Will you disagree with me on the facts or are you simply behaving like a Republican by making a personal attack? Yes, I'm a Realtor but I'm also a poster on this board perfectly entitled to respond to a question where I have some insight. Is that a problem for you?
Old Aug 18th 2007, 3:01 am
Forum Regular

Thanks for everyone

Really my work requires travel around 75% of my time . This is why I need to be beside the airport . I want to know where are the good areas around the airport in both cities .
Scott, be warned....I'm a Realtor (OK, Mr or Ms Moderator?) If you need to live in reasonable distance to the airport in Atlanta, please note; A Marta train (tube) serves the city very well. You can take it right to the airport for a $1.75 one way from any point. If you don't want to leave your car at the airport and pay $10 a day to park this is a great system. That means you could live in midtown Atlanta ( tops for entertainment, restaurants etc) or Buckhead ( more ritzy) and only have a 20 minute train ride. If you fly Delta or Airtran, they have baggage check-in right as you get off the train. By contrast, Dallas airport is a sprawling place between Dallas and Ft Worth and not easy to reach except by car.
Other cities that might work for you are Hapeville, East Point and College Park. They are all 'urban revival' areas with a nice blend of rehabs, new construction and older homes and viable downtowns/ parks that you can walk to for the most part. They actually surround the airport but because of the way the runways are set up they don't suffer from noise like you might expect.
PM me if you want more details ....lets not except the moderator.......
Old Aug 18th 2007, 3:39 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by David Richardson
Scott, be warned....I'm a Realtor (OK, Mr or Ms Moderator?) If you need to live in reasonable distance to the airport in Atlanta, please note; A Marta train (tube) serves the city very well. You can take it right to the airport for a $1.75 one way from any point. If you don't want to leave your car at the airport and pay $10 a day to park this is a great system. That means you could live in midtown Atlanta ( tops for entertainment, restaurants etc) or Buckhead ( more ritzy) and only have a 20 minute train ride. If you fly Delta or Airtran, they have baggage check-in right as you get off the train. By contrast, Dallas airport is a sprawling place between Dallas and Ft Worth and not easy to reach except by car.
Other cities that might work for you are Hapeville, East Point and College Park. They are all 'urban revival' areas with a nice blend of rehabs, new construction and older homes and viable downtowns/ parks that you can walk to for the most part. They actually surround the airport but because of the way the runways are set up they don't suffer from noise like you might expect.
PM me if you want more details ....lets not except the moderator.......
I hear that Buckhead is a beautiful place to live .I like the modern homes .
Old Aug 18th 2007, 4:41 am
Forum Regular

ashby is a name known to allashby is a name known to allashby is a name known to allashby is a name known to allashby is a name known to allashby is a name known to allashby is a name known to allashby is a name known to allashby is a name known to allashby is a name known to allashby is a name known to all
Talking Re: Atlanta vs Dallas

Hi
I am a Dallas girl and I have to say that Dallas IMHO is the better city. Dallas is FAR more cosmopolitan--well, actually Ft Worth has all the culture. But Dallas has fabulous shopping--it's the home of Neiman Marcus!!
Also, Texas, in general, and Dallas, in particular, has the most beautiful women. (seriously, everyone knows that--I am not biased!!)(and BTW the most topless bars of any city in the world--even more than Vegas; so beautiful naked women)(I didn't say the women were smart or classy--just pretty )

Atlanta has more poor people. That doesn't sound nice to say so bluntly but that is a huge factor in quality of life.

Both places are hot and humid!

Both have Southern Hospitality.

You really can't go wrong with a choice like this.
Old Aug 18th 2007, 8:36 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Just popping in to say g'day to Ashby.
G'Day Glad you've found us all and happy posting.
Karma coming your way.

cheers
BEVS

NZ
Old Aug 18th 2007, 1:40 pm
Account Closed

southern comfort is an unknown quantity at this point

I hear that Buckhead is a beautiful place to live .I like the modern homes .
Buckhead is beautiful....its also the most affluent part of Atlanta have to have mega bucks to live there

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.