British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Atlanta v Columbus, OH? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/atlanta-v-columbus-oh-302319/)

mvjenno May 11th 2005 4:24 pm

Atlanta v Columbus, OH?

Howdy all

Just looking for anyone who has lived in Atlanta or Columbus, Oh? MrJ's company is basically giving him the choice of either city... We've just returned from Columbus on a house hunting trip (the plan was to relocate up there at the end of summer) and really liked what we saw. Now, he's been given the choice to stay in the southeast, ideally the Atlanta/S Fulton county area. We'd appreciate hearing of anyone's experience with either city (or both!)

Thanks! :)

Duncan Roberts May 11th 2005 4:29 pm

Re: Atlanta v Columbus, OH?

Having lived in Atlanta and having spent lots of time in Columbus I say go to Atlanta. Columbus has nice areas but it's a college town and there are thousands and thousands of students. There also isn't a whole lot to excite.
I liked Atlant. There is a lot to do, all the professional sports and it just seemed more relaxed.

Ben May 11th 2005 4:40 pm

Atlanta, definitely.

KarnalEcho May 11th 2005 4:43 pm

Originally Posted by Ben
Atlanta, definitely.

Atlanta...........all the freaks seem to come from Ohio :D

mvjenno May 11th 2005 5:01 pm

Originally Posted by Duncan Roberts
Having lived in Atlanta and having spent lots of time in Columbus I say go to Atlanta. Columbus has nice areas but it's a college town and there are thousands and thousands of students. There also isn't a whole lot to excite.
I liked Atlant. There is a lot to do, all the professional sports and it just seemed more relaxed.

We haven't spent much time in Atlanta - other than the airport! - but we'll take a trip over this weekend and have a look around. Looking at real estate on the net, housing appears more affordable than Columbus. Another plus for Atlanta are the direct flights to the UK, as well as my hometown in IN. Hmmmm...

mvjenno May 11th 2005 5:02 pm

Originally Posted by IluvAbrit
Atlanta...........all the freaks seems to come from Ohio :D

I can't K you...that made me laugh :D :D

ironporer May 11th 2005 5:14 pm

Do you prefer a mild summer climate with bitter cold, snowy winters for 5 months a year, or do you prefer 3+ months of 100% humidity, 96f+ temps every day of the summer, coupled with damn nice weather the other 9 months?
I'd vote for Hotlanta

Manc May 11th 2005 5:36 pm

Originally Posted by mvjenno
Atlanta v Columbus

Columbus won 4-3 on aggregate

BritishInOhio May 11th 2005 5:48 pm

Howdy all

Just looking for anyone who has lived in Atlanta or Columbus, Oh? MrJ's company is basically giving him the choice of either city... We've just returned from Columbus on a house hunting trip (the plan was to relocate up there at the end of summer) and really liked what we saw. Now, he's been given the choice to stay in the southeast, ideally the Atlanta/S Fulton county area. We'd appreciate hearing of anyone's experience with either city (or both!)

Thanks! :)

Lived in Columbus, it is OK for a while but gets boring quick, live in Chicago now, tonnes better. Even the wife agrees and she is from Ohio. Go with Atlanta, even if it is the South. Strangely enough I have a couple me and the wife were friends with in Columbus and they are moving to Atlanta.

KarnalEcho May 11th 2005 5:50 pm

I can't K you...that made me laugh :D :D

Not a problem :D
We live about 3 hrs. S of Atlanta so we're pretty familiar. I've lived here my whole life and the fact that it IS a direct flight will always be a bonus to consider. Eventhough Atlanta is quite a large city, there are some nice smaller areas around. Good luck in your search. :)

BritGuyTN May 11th 2005 7:41 pm

Howdy all
Just looking for anyone who has lived in Atlanta or Columbus, Oh? MrJ's company is basically giving him the choice of either city... We've just returned from Columbus on a house hunting trip (the plan was to relocate up there at the end of summer) and really liked what we saw. Now, he's been given the choice to stay in the southeast, ideally the Atlanta/S Fulton county area. We'd appreciate hearing of anyone's experience with either city (or both!) :)

They call Atlanta the New York of The South

unfortunately with the good things like stuff to do, you also get bad things like crap traffic

However, having lived in Nashville and got 'acclimated' to the climate, I would have to say anywhere north of KY is out for me. I would choose Atlanta without question.

alien species May 11th 2005 7:52 pm

Atlanta, definately. Loads to do and easy to get home. Mid town is a cool place, buckhead and peachtree...

Duncan Roberts May 11th 2005 8:44 pm

Buddies, can't beat it!