British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Atlanta temporary accommodation help pls (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/atlanta-temporary-accommodation-help-pls-884796/)

JP1975 Oct 19th 2016 8:53 pm

Atlanta temporary accommodation help pls

Hi all,

We're all set to move to Georgia at the end of the month however we are struggling to find temporary accommodation for 6-8 weeks.

Can anyone recommend any companies that arrange temp accommodation please?

Thx in advance.

Rete Oct 19th 2016 9:24 pm

Re: Atlanta temporary accommodation help pls

You can try a google search for extended stay hotels and perhaps
Search hundreds of corporate housing properties in the Atlanta metro area

You don't say how you are moving to the US, i.e. work visa, spousal visa, etc. If on a company/work visa, will they not put you up?

Guindalf Oct 19th 2016 9:32 pm

Also, Atlanta is huge, really huge, so it might help to know where you need to be near or where the commute will be. The wrong location will make the trip a nightmare!

Vimto Oct 19th 2016 9:54 pm

:goodpost:

If you know where you will be working that would be a great help

kodokan Oct 20th 2016 3:12 am

Extended stay hotels are everywhere; all the major chains run them. Type it into Google maps for the area you're considering. We stayed in a Marriott one last year for two months, which was very nice, like a 2-bed apartment with a full kitchen. We also used AirBnB/ VRBO rentals when we first moved to the US, staying in 3-4 different ones around metro Phoenix while we decided where to live and waited for our furniture to turn up.

JP1975 Oct 20th 2016 8:17 am

We are looking to stay around the Johns Creek, Suwani, Cummin sort of area.
My wife is being relocated by her work but they are proving to be a bit useless.
She'll be working in Duluth so need to be close to there.

dj6372 Oct 20th 2016 9:34 am

AirBnb should be a good start?

BenK91 Oct 20th 2016 2:14 pm

As above, AirBnB is fantastic and would be the first place I would look.

Is your wife not entitled to some sort of relocation package including temporary accommodation/relocation costs etc?

Pulaski Oct 20th 2016 2:56 pm

Originally Posted by JP1975 (Post 12081210)
.... My wife is being relocated by her work but they are proving to be a bit useless. ....

Why aren't they coordinating this? ..... If they are picking up the tab, the budget will determine what sort of place you can afford.

I stayed at In-Town Suites when I moved to NC in 2003, and it was "a bit rough and ready", but adequate for me alone. If Mrs P had been here before we bought a house then I would have sprung for somewhere a bit nicer.

Guindalf Oct 20th 2016 3:00 pm

Originally Posted by JP1975 (Post 12081210)
We are looking to stay around the Johns Creek, Suwani, Cummin sort of area.
My wife is being relocated by her work but they are proving to be a bit useless.
She'll be working in Duluth so need to be close to there.

OK, that helps. There are TONS of efficiency hotels in and around Duluth, which is east of Atlanta and is where the Mall of Georgia is located. This factor alone means that traffic is bad pretty much all day and night.

Each area you named has its advantages and disadvantages as you would expect. To aid your search, it helps to spell them correctly as outlined below...

1. John's Creek - Nice residential areas with many subdivisions and plenty of good shopping.

2. Suwanee - Good access to the interstate (South for Duluth, Atlanta, etc. and north to the foothills of the Great Smokey Mountains). Generally, a more hectic pace than other areas.

3. Cumming - Again, nice residential areas and good shopping and restaurants (like JC above). On Rte 20 with a relatively straight, if not busy, shot to Duluth.

Something like Extended Stay America might give you a good start and allow you to look around a bit more.

petitefrancaise Oct 20th 2016 3:03 pm

If the company is paying for the accommodation then try googling CORPORATE accommodation duluth. Loads came up. These are usually fully furnished apartments in an apartment complex with pool and gym, completely ready to move into - more suited to a couple of months stay than an aparthotel (or short stay hotel) and not as expensive as a hotel. More upmarket than airbnb etc

However, if you are being given an allowance.....I wouldn't do this. You can find apartments/houses to rent easily in the US, if you know roughly where you want to live. Check into somewhere like an aparthotel for a few days, look on Zillow/redfin/trulia in advance, contact some local estate agents and arrange viewings of any places you like the look of. You should be able to get something and move in quickly.
Then you will have the rest of the allowance to pay your rent ( cheaper than any of the above options) and any leftover to start replacing your electrical stuff. If you need temporary furniture until yours arrives, blow up mattresses? z beds bring some bedlinen with you and visit IKEA for items to keep you going in the meantime...

TheKingOfHearts Oct 24th 2016 8:17 pm

I'd second the AirBnB.

I'm here long term (measured in years..) and work pay my expenses but wanted me to literally live in a hotel. They'd consider a Corporate apartment, but the options were pretty crappy, all by industrial areas and fairly average at best.

I found a few AirBnB's available long term nearby to where I wanted to live (~15 minute commute) and bartered their monthly price down significantly based on taking it for a couple months.

Best of both worlds, work saved $ and I get to live somewhere I actually want to.

JP1975 Nov 3rd 2016 1:51 am

Thanks all, apologies for the delay, have been getting on with the move. Thanks again.