Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Atlanta bound

Atlanta bound

Old Feb 12th 2009, 10:23 pm
I love Marmite, she don't

franc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Atlanta bound

I commute before 7am and after 7pm so traffic is pretty good. Friday Rush hours starts Thursday at 5pm

Black and White.. The norm.

Church. I believe in God, proud of it (I was an atheist). Don't like the churches (too big) so don't go. A church is anywhere 1 man gathers to pray! No pressure, believe, don't believe they are all here!

Some great area's, some horrible area's. Some just a few miles apart from each other. Like London!

Schools, public are high pupil/teacher ratio's and getting worse (since ATL government have little money - like everywhere). Some great Private schools. $7k-$12k (Pre-Grade -> High School).

Atlanta - been here 13 years. Awesome place to raise kids (mine now 20 and 17) but probably won't stay longer than another 3 or 4 years. Want to retire somewhere warmby the sea-side..

Oh, you can buy basic British Food in our largest Supermarket Chain (Publix) and order sausages/bacon from our neighboring state (NC) - at Britishbacon.com We also have some "fair" Indian restaurants and reasonable British pubs and beers...
Old Feb 13th 2009, 3:07 am
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nooj
Found out a few days ago husband been offered job in Atlanta by his compnay. So we are off- 3yr contract we think. Excited but also v.nervous as haven't even been there.

I have a few concerns which might be totally unfair and simply based on ignorant sterotypes- so i'd be really pleased to hear from people who can give me the low-down on living in that part of the world.
first- we are coming from London which I feel is the most cosmopolitan part of the UK- bit anxious about swapping it for the Deep South. I am British Asian and husband is white- I know friends (he white she black) who found some wierd attitudes when they travelled in parts of US.[ I know you get idiots all over the world-but its not a thing you generally run across in middle class London.]

also- God. I am a committed atheist and husband has usual English attitude which is probably believes in a god but would be acutely embarrassed if anyone mentioned it and would move quickly away from them ! Is it going to be tricky to get intergrated without religion?

Would be really keen to hear about peoples views . thank you !!
I've never been to Atlanta but have family there. In fact, the other half lived there for some years when he was a kid.

Atlanta is more diverse than you think although it's generally considered a progressive Southern city.

There are many South East Asians (equivalent to what Brits call Asians) in Atlanta judging by the number of Indian restaurants in Atlanta. I imagine there's a fair number of mixed race marriages and couples too.

You will have to get accustomed to the weather, particularly the humidity, which isn't an issue in London.
Old Feb 13th 2009, 1:09 pm
Resident Sillycow

mellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zargof
Hmm... Tucker to Dunwoody? That's not too bad depending on the time of day. You might have problems around the 85 intersection, but it shouldn't be that bad.
Ye its not so bad - just a bugger that I usually start work at 9 and finish at 5!! Agree tho once past 85 its an easy run till I hit la vista.................... . Have told hubby I MUST get a new car stereo so can plug my ipod in for company on the long lonely drive hahaha