Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Atlanta bound

Atlanta bound

Old Feb 9th 2009, 10:26 am
Forum Regular

nooj has a brilliant futurenooj has a brilliant futurenooj has a brilliant futurenooj has a brilliant futurenooj has a brilliant futurenooj has a brilliant future
Smile Atlanta bound

Found out a few days ago husband been offered job in Atlanta by his compnay. So we are off- 3yr contract we think. Excited but also v.nervous as haven't even been there.

I have a few concerns which might be totally unfair and simply based on ignorant sterotypes- so i'd be really pleased to hear from people who can give me the low-down on living in that part of the world.
first- we are coming from London which I feel is the most cosmopolitan part of the UK- bit anxious about swapping it for the Deep South. I am British Asian and husband is white- I know friends (he white she black) who found some wierd attitudes when they travelled in parts of US.[ I know you get idiots all over the world-but its not a thing you generally run across in middle class London.]

also- God. I am a committed atheist and husband has usual English attitude which is probably believes in a god but would be acutely embarrassed if anyone mentioned it and would move quickly away from them ! Is it going to be tricky to get intergrated without religion?

Would be really keen to hear about peoples views . thank you !!
Old Feb 9th 2009, 12:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

DeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Atlanta bound

People of colour do live in Georgia and appear to do fine. From what I've heard I wouldn't say that it is free of racism, but there is also a good degree of tolerance also. I have a bi-racial cousin out there who appears to be having a great life and have heard nothing untoward from her.

This should be the least of your worries (if you should be having any!) Congratulations, and enjoy your time out there!
Old Feb 9th 2009, 12:46 pm
Resident Sillycow

mellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nooj
Found out a few days ago husband been offered job in Atlanta by his compnay. So we are off- 3yr contract we think. Excited but also v.nervous as haven't even been there.

I have a few concerns which might be totally unfair and simply based on ignorant sterotypes- so i'd be really pleased to hear from people who can give me the low-down on living in that part of the world.
first- we are coming from London which I feel is the most cosmopolitan part of the UK- bit anxious about swapping it for the Deep South. I am British Asian and husband is white- I know friends (he white she black) who found some wierd attitudes when they travelled in parts of US.[ I know you get idiots all over the world-but its not a thing you generally run across in middle class London.]

also- God. I am a committed atheist and husband has usual English attitude which is probably believes in a god but would be acutely embarrassed if anyone mentioned it and would move quickly away from them ! Is it going to be tricky to get intergrated without religion?

Would be really keen to hear about peoples views . thank you !!
Worry not we also moved from London to Atlanta - and have loved every minute of it!!! do you know where you are going to be staying?? It is a slower way of life here but we have a busier life it seems, and its MUCH more fulfilling!!! I was also worried about the 8 million churches I saw when we first got here but dont worry - nobody is going to be forcing you to go every sun, actually lots of our friends go to church but thats their lives and they dont enforce it those who dont. Atlanta has all walks of life - rich and poor, black and white - and we really havent seen many effects of racism - where i live there is also a big asian community. what kinds of things do you and your husband like to do - let me know and i'll give you some more local area info
Old Feb 9th 2009, 2:10 pm
Forum Regular

nooj has a brilliant futurenooj has a brilliant futurenooj has a brilliant futurenooj has a brilliant futurenooj has a brilliant futurenooj has a brilliant future
Red face Re: Atlanta bound

thanks mellybrown- its stupid really- i think i'm still reeling a bit about the whole idea of going. been trying to get my head around various neighbourhoods- i've heard that commutes can be quite bad. Husb. will be working slightly to the north and west of city centre. we've got 2 children 3yrs and 5yrs and therefore schools and family type area will be key.

We all love city type things really- urban parks, festivals, concerts etc. but it will be quite fun to try and become a bit more out doorsy as the surrounds of atlanta look amazing.

where's good to live wld you say? did you get in with an expat group of people?
Old Feb 9th 2009, 4:29 pm
Resident Sillycow

mellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond repute

Have PMed you
Old Feb 9th 2009, 8:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

Redwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Atlanta bound

I don't think you will have a problem. I lived in Buford, Ga, for two years, and now live in SE Tennessee. Not too much difference really. Traffic was, and still is, the biggest problem all over Atlanta. Welcome and enjoy your stay.
Old Feb 10th 2009, 12:54 am
BE Enthusiast

Vimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond repute

As Melly has said, religion is not 'in your face' as much in Atlanta as it is in the smaller rural areas of Georgia, ethnicity is also not a major problem according to the Indians I work with. Mixed marriages between all sorts of different nationalities can be found, I have an Indian friend whose wife is from Columbia and they have 2 beautiful kids who take after their father in appearance and they have never had any issues when I spoke with him today. The city has grown up so fast based on growth of the large american and multinational companies who are based here it seems almost no one is from Georgia orginally.
You will enjoy life here providing hubby doesn't have too long a commute
Old Feb 10th 2009, 2:12 am
Resident Sillycow

Originally Posted by Vimto
As Melly has said, religion is not 'in your face' as much in Atlanta as it is in the smaller rural areas of Georgia, ethnicity is also not a major problem according to the Indians I work with. Mixed marriages between all sorts of different nationalities can be found, I have an Indian friend whose wife is from Columbia and they have 2 beautiful kids who take after their father in appearance and they have never had any issues when I spoke with him today. The city has grown up so fast based on growth of the large american and multinational companies who are based here it seems almost no one is from Georgia orginally.
You will enjoy life here providing hubby doesn't have too long a commute
ah yes the joyous commute
Old Feb 10th 2009, 3:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

dh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by mellybrown
Yes... traffic is bad. You will want to live as close to the office as you can. Stay off the 285 (Atlanta ring road) the 75 (runs NW to SE through Atlanta) and the 85 (runs NW to SE through Atlanta). If you live in the city, you might be able to use Marta (underground) to get around, but its not much use outside the city.

have a look here for rental properties www.rentlist.net

Dont worry about the move, you'll like it out here...
Old Feb 10th 2009, 3:32 pm
Forum Regular

ah yes I've heard all about this. it seems to be the main gripe people have with Atlanta.

So is the main problem people coming in from the outskirts? Is there any way of being smart about it ? (other than living under your desk?)

I'm going to be doing the school run- at the moment a 12 minute walk- is that unlikely....???:
Old Feb 10th 2009, 5:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

dh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by nooj
ah yes I've heard all about this. it seems to be the main gripe people have with Atlanta.

So is the main problem people coming in from the outskirts? Is there any way of being smart about it ? (other than living under your desk?)

I'm going to be doing the school run- at the moment a 12 minute walk- is that unlikely....???:
Cant comment on the school thing, my kid does not go to school yet. The traffic is better if you keep off those motorways I mentioned (and the roads that feed to them), however - it could still take you a while to get the kids to school, depending on route, time and location. They do have the school busses here - that might be an option for you.

If you want to have a look at the traffic - look here: http://www.georgia-navigator.com/cameras/
Old Feb 10th 2009, 10:55 pm
Resident Sillycow

oh yay

we are moving and i have the joy of a 285 commute every day

lucky me....

*hmmm*

Old Feb 11th 2009, 2:26 am
BE Enthusiast

oh yay

we are moving and i have the joy of a 285 commute every day

lucky me....

*hmmm*

Oh you lucky lucky lucky lucky person!

Where you moving to?
Old Feb 11th 2009, 1:46 pm
Resident Sillycow

Originally Posted by dh010447
Oh you lucky lucky lucky lucky person!

Where you moving to?
Tucker - a nice big house - but no more living 2 mins from work lol!!
Old Feb 12th 2009, 12:21 pm
I love my brick!

zargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond repute

Tucker - a nice big house - but no more living 2 mins from work lol!!
Hmm... Tucker to Dunwoody? That's not too bad depending on the time of day. You might have problems around the 85 intersection, but it shouldn't be that bad.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.